Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Almera Engine Oil

• 18-06-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

Just a quick question.

Can anyone recommend what Engine Oil i should use for a 03 1.5 Petrol Almera?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Thanks for the thread!!!!

Also...what tyres???

I have an 05 and test is booked for July....need oil and tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Expensive Stuff -- Mobil 1 0W/40

Cheaper Stuff -- Castrol Magnatec 5W/30

Tyres, it'll say it on the sidewall, e.g. 165/65/ R15

Not too sure what size tyres are on the N16 Almera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Expensive Stuff -- Mobil 1 0W/40

Cheaper Stuff -- Castrol Magnatec 5W/30

Tyres, it'll say it on the sidewall, e.g. 165/65/ R15

Not too sure what size tyres are on the N16 Almera.

Thanks for reply. I read on an english site to use 10W-30 because it never gets that cold here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

From the horses mouth aka the Nissan Almera N16 service manual
    GASOLINE ENGINE

+ For warm and cold areas: 10W-30 is preferable for ambient
    temperature above −20°C (−4°F).
    + 5W-30 will positively improve fuel economy.
    + For hot areas: 20W-40 and 20W-50 are suitable.

DIESEL ENGINE

+ For cold areas: 10W-30 is preferable. On turbocharger models,
    5W-20 is not recommended, and 5W-30 should be used only
    below 0°C (32°F).
    + For hot and warm areas: 20W-40 and 20W-50 are suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I always put 10W40 semi synthetic into the Alerma when we had it.

As someone else said, if you have tyres already the tyre size is on the sidewall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Basically, any 0/5/10 w 30/40 will be fine. My girlfriend is running one of these at the moment and I put 5w 30 fully synth in hers - I get it from Opie oils on member dicount so its good value. She does high miles (35,000 miles + per annum) so I pay the extra for lower viscosity oil to see the fuel economy benefits. I think the oil capacity is about 2.8L.

Also, dont put in cheap oil, the cam chain has a habit of ****ting itself on these engines and the only prevention is changing the oil regularly and with decent oil.

As far as I remember the tyres are 185/65 R15 H.

Mr.David wrote: »
    Also, dont put in cheap oil, the cam chain has a habit of ****ting itself on these engines and the only prevention is changing the oil regularly and with decent oil.
    I'll be doing about 10k a year due to changing house. How often should i change the oil? And when changing oil do I have to empty and then fill or just top up?(sorry noob with engines)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I put a set of these on mine and they do the job fine

VREDESTEIN TYRES / CAR / VREDESTEIN T TRAC SI - 185/65R15 88T TL

from Camskill.co.uk

but they don't appear to be selling them anymore

I wouldn't go to the expense of fully synth brand name oil unless it's a racing engine or the manufacturer recommends it.

Any decent 10W40 semi synth is fine imo. E.g. Maxol can be had for about €23 for 5L. If you do more miles per annum you just change your oil more frequently per annum. I used change oil and filter every 6,000 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

How many miles are on the car? And is it mainly used for long or short journeys? Town or motorway?

The recommended oil change interval is 9k miles I think, that or every 12 months whichever comes first.

As mentioned above a good semi synth is fine, I just got the fully synth because I got the 4L for £20 so was no more costly really.

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »
    How many miles are on the car? And is it mainly used for long or short journeys? Town or motorway?

The recommended oil change interval is 9k miles I think, that or every 12 months whichever comes first.

As mentioned above a good semi synth is fine, I just got the fully synth because I got the 4L for £20 so was no more costly really.

it has 55k on it. Id be doing about 50kilometres a day 4-5 days a week. Is there a massive difference with Full Synth as opposed to Semi?

Oil and oil filter change every 9,000 miles (15,00km)or every 12 months. Spark plugs Brake fluid and Ventilation air filter every 18,000 Miles (30,000km) or every 24 months. Air filter every 36,000 miles (60,000km) or 48 months i.e. due now if not already changed.
    This is due to inferior mateial used in the earlier chains allowing them to stretch, you can hear the rattle of a loosening chain if you lift the bonnet. This shouldn't be a problem on an 05 as they changed the material.

Don't put on crappy tyres, false economy!

it has 55k on it. Id be doing about 50kilometres a day 4-5 days a week. Is there a massive difference with Full Synth as opposed to Semi?

It's best to stick to what has been used to date. Fully synth would probably go through it if it hasn't been used so far. ie be burned off in small amounts, maybe requiring oil top ups between services.

mikewest wrote: »
    Oil and oil filter change every 9,000 miles (15,00km)or every 12 months. Spark plugs Brake fluid and Ventilation air filter every 18,000 Miles (30,000km) or every 24 months. Air filter every 36,000 miles (60,000km) or 48 months i.e. due now if not already changed.

This is due to inferior mateial used in the earlier chains allowing them to stretch, you can hear the rattle of a loosening chain if you lift the bonnet. This shouldn't be a problem on an 05 as they changed the material.

Don't put on crappy tyres, false economy!
    All filters and spark plugs where changed about 3 months ago as was the oil i think. The reason im worried about the oil is because of the chain everyone has problems with.

My car will sometimes idle about 1100rpm from cold and the needle will go up and down until after about 5 minutes when it idles around 700rpm.

Il also lose power sometimes and if revving from idle the car will struggle to go past 4000rpm

This has nothing to do with the timing chain. As I said earlier they changed the timing chains (in 2003 I think) so this is not a problem on your model.

mikewest wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the timing chain. As I said earlier they changed the timing chains (in 2003 I think) so this is not a problem on your model.
    Any ideas what it could be?
    Sometimes if im driving up the road at about 2500rpm the car will kinda shudder until i change gear and the same will happen in every gear, only when i get past 3000rpm in 5th does it stop...

Advertisement