Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campervans 1997+ 158,000 miles on clock?

• 18-06-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

Im looking to buy a Motorhome/Campervan soon. I really dont know if im getting a good deal or not. I looked at a 1997 "Ford Transit Campervan with a 2.5d engine. It is immacualte but the problem (i think) is the 158,000 miles on the clock. I got it checked out and mechanic said its in good nick.

What is the life of these Ford Transit motorhomes? Is it a bad idea to buy one with 158,000 miles on the clock? It means that on average it has done 13,000 miles a year. Seems like a rental to me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So everyting is in good nick, the living quarters section suits your needs and the worst case scenario is that the engine may or may not go pooof in a while?

It's a Transit ...replacement engines should be ten a penny. Rust on the chassis and the remaining Ford bits is what I would be more worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

peasant wrote: »
    So everyting is in good nick, the living quarters section suits your needs and the worst case scenario is that the engine may or may not go pooof in a while?

It's a Transit ...replacement engines should be ten a penny. Rust on the chassis and the remaining Ford bits is what I would be more worried about.
    Not just wear on engine must be considered on a high mileage vehicle, other things must be considered, brake disks, ball joints, bushings, linkages, gearbox, clutch, suspension, etc, All this can add up and be costly as I have experienced in my current Transit when I bought it. Campers escape DOE /NCT which makes buying them even a greater challenge than purchasing a normal vehicle. Make sure you have a good mechanic to inspect it. The older smiley front transits were diehards compaired to the later bullnose type but you wouldn't want to be travelling anywhere in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

280K on my transit camper and still driving like new... parts are the cheap...

above poster is correct about not wanting to be in a hurry...lol.... I call mine a hillsniffer..... If you see a hill at all floor it and hope you get over the top of it before you start to roll back down....

That said it has been literly everywhere and cruises at 70mph :)

wouldn't worry a bit about high mileage on a transit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Macspower wrote: »
    280K on my transit camper and still driving like new... parts are the cheap...

above poster is correct about not wanting to be in a hurry...lol.... I call mine a hillsniffer..... If you see a hill at all floor it and hope you get over the top of it before you start to roll back down....

That said it has been literly everywhere and cruises at 70mph :)

wouldn't worry a bit about high mileage on a transit
    Brother has a 1982 petrol transit camper, it would actually be quicker than the later whores mouth model. (Bord Gas also had these in petrol)

Advertisement