Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collies Strange behavior

Options
  • 18-06-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I have a five year old male collie. Back in March he didnt something which ha been playing on my mind a lot. I live on a farm and Feb and March are lambing season. Jut after one of the sheep haf lambed the collie grabbed the lamb in his mouth and ran of with the lamb. He was found 20 minutes latter in a far corner of the garden just starting at the lamb. I have absolutly no idea why he would of done this. It has been troubling me the past while. Has anything similar ever happedned anyone else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Blarggggh wrote: »
    II have absolutly no idea why he would of done this.

Because you didn't stop him?

I would guess that a freshly born lamb, all covered in blood and bits of placenta would very much smell like "food" to any dog.
    Herding training might be what (just) prevented him from eating it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Blarggggh

This isnt the first birth he has witnessed. He is a VERY PASSIVE dog. I went to grab the mothor. He grabbed the lamb and ran off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I guess his instincts too over, he needs some basic training. Get on to a trainer who deals in humane methods of training and the 'leave it' command could work in this situation.

Other than that keep him well away from the sheep when they are nearly due or keep him on a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Yeah passive and all as the dog may be, some instincts just kick in sometimes. Forget about it, he is still the same dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

When you say "just starting at the lamb", do you mean just *staring* or just starting to eat it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Blarggggh

Sorry he was just staring is what I ment, and staring is maybe to intense a word to use. He was just sitting on the ground looking at the lamb. TBH he can be a bit strange at times. For instance about four years ago I found him sitting on top on a 6 Ft hedge. I have no idea how he got there. He used to spend a lot of time with the sheep on sunny days when the sheep are lying down. He would lye next to the sheep and rest his head on them or visa versa. I dont know if he was simple being curious or if there was something more sinister to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds more like he's protective over them and taking the lamb could of meant he was taking it away to protect it like dog parents would do with pups. Or he could just be a sandwich short of a picnic.
    I guess some sheepdogs become attached to a flock, most prefer to tell the flock what to do and keep them under control but it sounds like he may of crossed over and thinks he's a bit of a sheep lol.

He sounds like a right character though. Collies can be a bit barmy at times, our one isn't always the full shilling.

Advertisement