Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won't give me my deposite back

Options
  • 18-06-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I recently moved out of rented accomodation after two years,
    when I left the wheelie bin was full so he wants €132 for that, he says that the place needs to be painted (€300), but it doesn't and I have pictures to prove it.

I left the place spottless!

€100 to clean the carpet in one of the rooms.

My main question is that - doesn't paint count as normal wear and tear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Get in touch with threshhold. Paint is normal wear and tear if no excessive marking occured. I've been a landlord and repainted every other year to freshen up. The tenants never paid for that. Agree on the bin but not 132 euro FFS!

This fella is obviously out to get you. is he registered with the board. I'd go after him in anyway possible. Guys like that sicken me, greedy f$$cker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Painting is normal wear and tear, if not excessively marked. Before agreeing to prices etc (if any), ensure you get copies of receipts to ensure that what you are paying is what he paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Painting is definitely normal wear and tare, unless you drew all over the walls or something.

This exact same thing happened to me. After being promised the full deposit back when we moved out, the letting agents kept 1/3 of it for "cleaning & painting". We had photos of of every room at move-in and move-out. We sent all the info to the PRTB and got our full deposit back.

If you genuinely left it in a good condition, the landlord is just trying to get you to pay for the painting he'd have to do anyway. Go to the PRTB. It may take a while, but you will get your deposit back.

Advertisement