Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation?

Options
  • 18-06-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im supposed to graduate next week, wednesday actually, but so far I havent heard a thing from UCD about it. Is this normal? whats the procedure for the day etc etc.
    how many people can we bring?

Im so confused, and UCD are being just as helpful as ever..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

AFAIK if you're graduating next week you should have got a letter in the post with the passes for family, info on where to book your gown etc? Are you sure it's next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

the class rep told us that about a month ago.

Have you checked the website to make sure?

which part?

The one which lists the dates of conferrals...

http://www.ucd.ie/confer/schedule.htm

• Advertisement

thanks, and it is next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

triseke wrote: »
    thanks, and it is next week!

are you social science? i have a friend in the same boat, she called ucd yester and was told it is on next week and shed get somethin in the post bout it!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jev/N wrote: »
    The one which lists the dates of conferrals...

http://www.ucd.ie/confer/schedule.htm

December 1st for Arts graduates? Is that right?!

Bloody hell I figured it was September. :eek:

yeah im in social science. I have no clue about details about anything, other than the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I thought you did history with me. Unless you are doing it as a single major, then you graduate on 1st of December. If you are doing it as a joint major you are in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Contact the conferring unit. They're actually very helpful - one of the best parts of UCD. I dealt with Niamh (I think), they should be able to let you know exactly where you stand.

The e-mail address is conferring@ucd.ie, as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I'm physio, also graduating next week but all we've heard is stuff from our school about a class photo. I'm guessing they may have hung on until the confirmed results to post things out so there wouldn't be situations of people getting passes etc who aren't graduating on time.

I thought you did history with me. Unless you are doing it as a single major, then you graduate on 1st of December. If you are doing it as a joint major you are in November.

Ah my mistake. :o Still quite a wait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

when do commerce graduate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

mac123 wrote: »
    when do commerce graduate?

Link to dates is posted above by Jev/N. Commerce Monday Sept 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

what is the procedure for the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

In a nutshell:

Get your gown the night before/day before.

Often best to do the photos before the ceremony if you're ready on time (less queues)

Go to O' Reilly Hall, check in at the counter on the right. Get your number. Listen to the people there who tell you where to stand in the glass atrium. Oh and send your family in to get good seats.

Walk into the room in procession, sit down, listen to some latin, Martin Butler will then give a little introduction.

Degrees will first go to those who have died in the middle of there degree progression (if any) in your course (can't remember the right word for it right now)

Then they'll do the other courses. When your degree is called you're asked to stand as a group and you'll be conferred with your degree in latin. You'll then be called up alphabetically to receive your degree. (at this point, going up the steps, tuck in your gown so you're not that one who gets it caught on the railing and goes flying up the steps).

Walk off the podium and sit down again.

Listen to Hugh Brady speech that's full of lies about how amazing modularisation is (in my case, when you'd been modularised halfway through your degree and didn't have all the 'good' bits he was talking about).

Closing remarks,

Procession Out.

Find Family, take lots of snaps with friends and family all looking mental in gowns and stuff.

Go to reception afterwards and get a bit merry, talk to lecturers.

Return gown (get photos done if you haven't done them already).

Go eat with family probably.

Go out and have fun with your class that night.

Think that's everything

Steph,

What kind of clothes do people wear under the gowns? Is it formal or casual?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

People normally dress up a bit for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yeah my Arts graduation 2 years ago was in December. Probably the darkest, wettest and windiest day ever in Ireland.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies guys. Still not after hearing anything from UCD so im assuming itl be tomorrow before i get any word..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Steph,

What kind of clothes do people wear under the gowns? Is it formal or casual?

It really ranges. I went for a smart dress but it wasn't crazily dressed up. Others went for full on, 'I'm at a wedding looks'.

The boys all wore suits at mine, but I was at an Arts one a few years ago and one of the guys had obviously just come from the library so was in jeans and a t shirt.

Alyosha wrote: »
    Link to dates is posted above by Jev/N. Commerce Monday Sept 1st.

thanks, do they just send it out to the house if your not available on the day or will someone need to pick it up for me?
    Im going to be out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

mac123 wrote: »
    thanks, do they just send it out to the house if your not available on the day or will someone need to pick it up for me?
    Im going to be out of the country.

You can pick to be conferred "in absentia", so they just call your name out but you don't have to be there. A good few did that in my year. It should be one of the options on the forms they send out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

why would you pick that option?

unless your sick, im sure they would make exceptions for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As already pointed out: if you get the credits, you get the degree. The conferral ceremony is not required and doesn't add anything to your academic qualification. It's just a bit of well-rehearsed pomp and ceremony for parents and guests, and you are part of the show.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Well im picking that option because I dont live in Ireland anymore and I dont intend to fly over for graduation.

Advertisement