Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer able to thank Feedback posts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I see 'Thanks' to mean three things:

Thanks
    I agree
    Thats funny

In feedback i think most people would see it as the 'I agree' option as a show of support to the poster. I really does cut down on the +1 repetitive nature of the threads and can show how much support there is for either side without having huge threads.

On the being a mod side of things, since i became one i decided not to post in emotive feedback threads unless it directly affects me or answering a query. It was a purely personal thing to cut down on the perception of mods ganging up etc. Because of this i really only thank in threads now as a show of support and can't really do that anymore.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Someone "official" could've informed the userbase before or shortly after it was done.

Removing it is probably a good thing though in that it might stop those smart arse one liners people make for teh thankz . Or "laser sharp ability to cut someone down" as it says in the FAQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Because, in my opinion, when there is a "complaint" thread in Feedback the usual Boards Fanbois come along and post the usual Boards Fanboism Bullshít,

you know the type, the first one to get here posts something like;

"Well that's how we do things round here, it's how we've always done it and Boards is cool so stop questioning it, if you don't get it then go elsewhere"

And then another one of them comes along and thanks that post.

Thus making it look like a whole load of people agree with the post, and the OP is nothing more than a fúckwit for posting something that dares question the "accepted norms".

Basically, it's a circeljerk, and if the removal of the thanks option goes someway to stop that, then it's fine by me.

Why, exactly, shouldn't someone question the way things are carried out here?

It's really grinds my gears when I see posts of that calibre; "Do it the way we've always done it or GTFO"; or "How dare you question the mod/cmod/smod/admin, this is a voluntary position and they shouldn't have to deal with tards like you".

What? Really?

If someone is unhappy with a decision made, they should have the ability to question it without being told to stfu and feeling ganged up on.

And, yes. Everyone who becomes a Mod/Admin knows that they will have tards to deal with at some stage. So if you don't like it, hang up your Mod/Admin Stick.

And then you get all manner of arsehole butting into Feedback threads waffling on about a forum that they don't use, and haven't a clue about the workings of it, or the community there.

On the flip side of that, they could always go to Helpdesk. But I don't like that either. The perception in HelpDesk, and remember, perception IS 90% reality, is that it's One User vs All The Mods of the Forum + The Admin. It just doesn't seem fair sometimes. Every Mod sticking their oar in, and an Admin or two for good measure.

I'd like to see a medium where a user is able to garner support for his position without it being called a witch-hunt.

these people have genuine qualms, or possibly don't know the workings of the site.

It would be nice if they had someone other than the mods of the forum where the issue is, or an Admin, telling them that they are wrong. Or, if they had some more people who are sympathetic to their view "on their side".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Trojan wrote: »
    Good question. What ways do you guys interpret "Thanks" when you see it?

Simply at face value "Thanks for posting that"?

Or as "I agree with everything that poster said style" ("+1").

Depends on the forum, AH more if something is funny, politics if I agree with a post.
    Trojan wrote:
    Or maybe as "I agree with something but not necessarily everything that poster said".

No, if there is something important in it I didn't agree with I'd reply.
    Trojan wrote:
    Do you agree that it can be used in bullying? Can thanking a post be bullying or abuse?

It could, but I'd guess it's rare.
    Trojan wrote:
    Can it be ironic? I.e. if I thank something that is the complete opposite of what I think - e.g. someone thanks another poster for posting something that earns them a ban. They're thanking the post ironically as they're happy it got the user banned, but folks might think they're agreeing with the spirit of original post.

That's a tough one, think it came up before. Hard to read peoples mind but if it's malicious it's bullying or up to no good.
    Trojan wrote:
    Feedback is an often emotive forum and there are many ways to interpret and mis-interpret Thanks. Personally I think it's probably a good idea to have it turned off in here - but we're happy to listen to anyone who can defend the opposite argument logically.

Don't really pay that much heed to thanks, so it isn't a major issue. I like it here because if I'm quickly browsing I can thank a post instead of spending time on a reply.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Des wrote: »
    Because, in my opinion, when there is a "complaint" thread in Feedback the usual Boards Fanbois come along and post the usual Boards Fanboism Bullshít,

"Well that's how we do things round here, it's how we've always done it and Boards is cool so stop questioning it, if you don't get it then go elsewhere"

Thus making it look like a whole load of people agree with the post, and the OP is nothing more than a fúckwit for posting something that dares question the "accepted norms".

Basically, it's a circeljerk, and if the removal of the thanks option goes someway to stop that, then it's fine by me.

It's really grinds my gears when I see posts of that calibre; "Do it the way we've always done it or GTFO"; or "How dare you question the mod/cmod/smod/admin, this is a voluntary position and they shouldn't have to deal with tards like you".

What? Really?

If someone is unhappy with a decision made, they should have the ability to question it without being told to stfu and feeling ganged up on.

And, yes. Everyone who becomes a Mod/Admin knows that they will have tards to deal with at some stage. So if you don't like it, hang up your Mod/Admin Stick.

And then you get all manner of arsehole butting into Feedback threads waffling on about a forum that they don't use, and haven't a clue about the workings of it, or the community there.

On the flip side of that, they could always go to Helpdesk. But I don't like that either. The perception in HelpDesk, and remember, perception IS 90% reality, is that it's One User vs All The Mods of the Forum + The Admin. It just doesn't seem fair sometimes. Every Mod sticking their oar in, and an Admin or two for good measure.

I'd like to see a medium where a user is able to garner support for his position without it being called a witch-hunt.

these people have genuine qualms, or possibly don't know the workings of the site.

It would be nice if they had someone other than the mods of the forum where the issue is, or an Admin, telling them that they are wrong. Or, if they had some more people who are sympathetic to their view "on their side".
    Des, you're awesome! :)
    (Yeah, I appreciate the irony of being seemingly sycophantic towards someone who is objecting to sycophancy - but it's more a "fair play for posting that" than a love-in).

... although I'm in two minds about "thanks" being disabled. I used to dislike it for that reason before, but now I think it's up to a person how they interpret it. That said though, in threads like the recent ones here, it did help with ganging up and getting personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I agree with javaboy's initial response to Wibbs, Wibb's response to that response, javaboy's acknowldegement that it was a good point (though I disagree that we cannot wrap people up in cotton wool) and also javaboy's last post on this page in response to Wibb's first post at the top of the page, all of which is more difficult to express thanks to the removal of Thanks from Feedback.
    ^^^^^^
    That's it in a nutshell.

I find when I am reading Feedback, poster's like Wibbs and java and others will have said pretty much what I would be thinking only they have the ability to put it across better than I could, so I would thank their post in agreement rather than +1 it in a separate post.

Earthhorse put it very well, the thanks button saves posters having to explain that they agree with two or three posters, in a single post, when they could just thank the posts and leave it at that.

If that makes any sense.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

QFT.

TBH I think moving threads to helpdesk is a very cynical move, especially if the Admin doesnt reply to the thread. Worse, I think it is extremely bad form when a mod refuses to respond to a complaint.

You'd swear there were people on boards who dont want complaints gathering motion. If its a stupid complaint it will fall on its face, if its a genuine complaint it should be dealt with.

Moving threads to helpdesk where only mods can reply so as to silence the plebs, and removing the Thanks function, are two bad moves imo, and to the detriment of this site in the long run.

Moving threads to helpdesk where only mods can reply so as to silence the plebs, and removing the Thanks function, are two bad moves imo, and to the detriment of this site in the long run.
    Well the first decision was due to the amount of ganging up and sycophancy that greeted a complainant from both mods and members alike. This is not an issue in Help Desk.
    The second decision is another way of lessening the ganging up/sycophancy.
    So actually, both moves are more "pro-user" than you're giving them credit for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Although that isn't the topic of the thread, I have to say that I fully agree with Des' point.

I've seen countless threads in Help Desk where a member that may have made an honest mistake or had a lack of judgment and gotten themselves banned & decide to raise the issue, only to be trolled (for want of a better word) by mods into giving up on their argument because of the invariable agreement of mods, with mods.

Its quite disheartening tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Removing thanks won't stop that. It happened before the thanks system came in and if it will continue to happen now it's disabled here. I don't like seeing that kind of post either for the record.

Now they'll just +1 it instead and it will still make the OP look like a ****wit.

+1s will be just as bad. The accusations of circlejerkery predate the thanks system. Admittedly it will might go some way to making it less overt but if there's circlejerking going on, it will manifest itself in other ways.

What? Really?

You seem to be talking about a different issue now. I don't like the overly sycophantic posts either and I especially detest the "This is their site. Tough sh1t" line in response to legitimate, polite feedback but I don't see what removing the thanks system has to do with that.

Again people felt that was happening before the thanks system. I don't think removing it will stop it.

Different issue imo.

I'd agree with most of the above. From a newish user's point of view, the Help Desk can seem like a bit of a ganging up. I'm not sure how you can fix that exactly.

Most of what you're objecting to their is not down to the thanks system. The same thing happened and was complained about before the thanks system came in.

Removing the thanks system does not solve the actual problem. It's akin to pruning the leaves of a weed and leaving the root.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    ... although I'm in two minds about "thanks" being disabled. I used to dislike it for that reason before, but now I think it's up to a person how they interpret it. That said though, in threads like the recent ones here, it did help with ganging up and getting personal.

I suppose it could spur on some posters or encourage them but I don't think its that common, more the exception than the rule. Didn't think it was an issue until the recent 2/3 threads.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I've seen countless threads in Help Desk where a member that may have made an honest mistake or had a lack of judgment and gotten themselves banned & decide to raise the issue, only to be trolled (for want of a better word) by mods into giving up on their argument because of the invariable agreement of mods, with mods. And then an admin will step in and say "well everything's been covered, so I'll close this"

Its quite disheartening tbh
    To be fair, not just mods. There are non-mod fan-bois and girls too.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Removing the thanks system does not solve the actual problem. It's akin to pruning the leaves of a weed and leaving the root.
    True, or you could also say it's disabling one of the numerous methods of ganging/licking up - at least there'd be one less. I think that's what Des means anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And then yu get all manner of arsehole butting into Feedback threads waffling on about a forum that they don't use

Can I say +1? :)

Whenever a Soccer forum shitstorm blows up in here, it often seems like the most active posters in the feedback thread have rarely - if ever - set foot in the soccer forum.

True, or you could also say it's disabling one of the numerous methods of ganging/licking up - at least there'd be one less. I think that's what Des means anyway.

OK, So remove it because a few fan-bois or whatever abuse it?

Could we not just ignore them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Yeah I got that. I probably came across as a bit negative on Des' post. I'd agree it would indeed be removing one of those methods for bullying but I think overall, the thanks feature adds more to feedback than it takes away.

I'm not saying I agree with the removal of it either - I can just see why it was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not in Help Desk though, only admins and mods who are given access can post there. There's definitely fanboyism here in feedback, from all sides =p

Sorry yeah, I thought you meant Feedback. Of course if I'd read your post properly... :o

But as I said, the decision to move threads to Help Desk was a well-intentioned one. I agree though, there are some threads in there that are not a pretty sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well the first decision was due to the amount of ganging up and sycophancy that greeted a complainant from both mods and members alike. This is not an issue in Help Desk.
    In feedback stupid complaints will be ridiculed, but genuine complaints can garner support. Moving complaints to the help desk in my opinion is a bad policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In feedback stupid complaints will be ridiculed, but genuine complaints can garner support. Moving complaints to the help desk in my opinion is a bad policy.

But when they garner support they are called witch hunts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Seriously, I know why it was disabled but its just papering over the cracks that appeared.

I much prefer seeing the thanks for the very reasons that Des mentioned. Transparency is a good thing. Recent goings on here and the thank-a-thons they brought showed me more about the lie of the land in boardsland than the last year of lurking feedback.

Why should it be disabled here and nowhere else? If its a good feature, then its a good feature.

If theres a perception that mods/admins are circling wagons, then address that and not the feature that brought it to light.

But when they garner support they are called witch hunts.

It depends. If its the usual suspects on their vendetta against a Mod or the fight the powa types, well, it's a witch hunt. If its genuine posters who generally behave, I hope they are listened to and the noise doesn't drown them out.

Dustaz wrote: »
    Why should it be disabled here and nowhere else? If its a good feature, then its a good feature.

That thought crossed my mind. Yes, it will be pointed out that Helpdesk and Feedback are different, but surely the same bullying, whoring, ganging up etc. happens on say AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ahhh poor baby op

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Removing the thanks button will only serve to isolate posters who start threads here.

Giving thanks was a simple and quick way of conveying agreement with the op.

I can forsee +1 posts being banned from here fairly soon, so that leaves people who support the op's views to write a new, articulate response.

Before, it was a case of clicking a button. Now they must write a reply to the thread.

People are lazy. Naturally some people won't be bothered to write replies.

This move will suppress their support, and make the op feel like they are the only one with the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Jonathan wrote: »
    Removing the thanks button will only serve to isolate posters who start threads here.

Giving thanks was a simple and quick way of conveying agreement with the op.
    [no the thanks button was the reason why moderators admins cud gang up no a group of people or a single person]
    I can forsee +1 posts being banned from here fairly soon, so that leaves people who support the op's views to write a new, articulate response.
    [wow another tag being band, boards are afterall a top irish website who are recognised by everyone(shame my friends, all of them, havent got a club what boards is]
    Before, it was a case of clicking a button. Now they must write a reply to the thread.
    [ye i agree with this, no more arselicking]
    People are lazy. Naturally some people won't be bothered to write replies.

This move will suppress their support, and make the op feel like they are the only one with the issue.

Wowaa

Oh yea, only reason it was removed was because of the BBV thread.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Wowaa

Oh yea, only reason it was removed was because of the BBV thread.

I'd hate to see it removed because of any thread in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whats this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What? Really?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

One of the good things about removing thanks is that if you want to get to grips with a drama thread, you'll now have to go and read the whole thing. Rather than skimming through and just reading the posts that recieve a lot of thanks. This can only be a good thing. If someone takes the time to contribute to an issue, their post deserves to be read. And sometimes that becomes less likely to happen if it expresses an unpopular opinion or isn't from a known poster, thus garnering less epeen hits.

So, eh +1 to the above. And +1 to removing the thanks feature in here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It's been disabled on Feedback :)

Thanks! :)

Advertisement