Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer able to thank Feedback posts?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Jonathan wrote: »
    Removing the thanks button will only serve to isolate posters who start threads here.

Giving thanks was a simple and quick way of conveying agreement with the op.

I can forsee +1 posts being banned from here fairly soon, so that leaves people who support the op's views to write a new, articulate response.

Before, it was a case of clicking a button. Now they must write a reply to the thread.

People are lazy. Naturally some people won't be bothered to write replies.

This move will suppress their support, and make the op feel like they are the only one with the issue.

Isn't the whole point of Boards to encourage articulate responses though

If people feel strongly enough about an issue one way or another then they will post on it

Whilst not necessarily agreeing with taking away Thanks I can see why it was done and I wouldn't really have a better suggestion to fix the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I tend to thank posts that make me laugh, not necessarily ones that I agree with or one attacking another user, well unless the attack was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have seen posts which attacked me personally thanked and my take on it is at least I now know where I stand with certain posters.

The only issues re thanking posts seem to have sprung form the poker and soccer forums
    just beacuse they have been abused there I don't think it is fair to lock them down here.

I think that seeing who thanked a post in here and how many thanks a post got was a valuable tool and part of being able to give feedback and never got my back up when people thanked posts I didn't agree with, were counter arguements to mine or that I tought were off kilter.

I think this is a bad move and an over reaction and is talking away the input of posters who want to contribute but not face the slings and arrows of this forum were all to often people get agressive and personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Des wrote: »
    Because, in my opinion, when there is a "complaint" thread in Feedback the usual Boards Fanbois come along and post the usual Boards Fanboism Bullshít,

you know the type, the first one to get here posts something like;

"Well that's how we do things round here, it's how we've always done it and Boards is cool so stop questioning it, if you don't get it then go elsewhere"

And then another one of them comes along and thanks that post.

Thus making it look like a whole load of people agree with the post, and the OP is nothing more than a fúckwit for posting something that dares question the "accepted norms".

Basically, it's a circeljerk, and if the removal of the thanks option goes someway to stop that, then it's fine by me.

Why, exactly, shouldn't someone question the way things are carried out here?

It's really grinds my gears when I see posts of that calibre; "Do it the way we've always done it or GTFO"; or "How dare you question the mod/cmod/smod/admin, this is a voluntary position and they shouldn't have to deal with tards like you".

It would be nice if they had someone other than the mods of the forum where the issue is, or an Admin, telling them that they are wrong. Or, if they had some more people who are sympathetic to their view "on their side".

Thats the way we've always done things around here and if you don't like it you can GTFO. Tbh Des you're starting to sound as bitter as roundymoony. You had no problem with the fanboism when you where taking on the emergency services forum, if I recall correctly alot of people weighted in on "your side" and the side of "how things are done here".
    And then you get all manner of arsehole butting into Feedback threads waffling on about a forum that they don't use, and haven't a clue about the workings of it, or the community there.

I can only conclude you're being ironic/ self deprecating. Either way thats a completely seperate issue. You moan and moan but whats you're solution? You say helpdesk doesn't work because the poster can't garner support but you say feedback doesn't work because the mods will garner support from people who arn't involved in the community. Whats your solution? It's very simple, you lobby the admins to allow feedback threads in the forums they relate to. I wonder how successful that would have been for you on the ES forum...

Jog on Des, Jog on.

Ps, mod circlejerk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I think that seeing who thanked a post in here and how many thanks a post got was a valuable tool and part of being able to give feedback
    I think this is a bad move and an over reaction and is talking away the input of posters who want to contribute but not face the slings and arrows of this forum were all to often people get agressive and personal.

QFT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

People can be intimidated, and it can be difficult to write a post if it's controversial, especially for the youngsters.

It's also a gauge of the mood. If someone raises an issue and a shed load of people thanks it, it can give an idea that the issue is important to a lot of people.

I think removing it from here was a bit of a hasty move. Yet another voice taken from the users, IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

tallaght01 wrote: »
    People can be intimidated, and it can be difficult to write a post if it's controversial, especially for the youngsters.

It's also a gauge of the mood. If someone raises an issue and a shed load of people thanks it, it can give an idea that the issue is important to a lot of people.

I think removing it from here was a bit of a hasty move. Yet another voice taken from the users, IMO.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I have seen posts which attacked me personally thanked and my take on it is at least I now know where I stand with certain posters.

I think that seeing who thanked a post in here and how many thanks a post got was a valuable tool and part of being able to give feedback and never got my back up when people thanked posts I didn't agree with, were counter arguements to mine or that I tought were off kilter.

Methinks that first and second point (as above) contradict each other. As an example I could have thanked someones post regarding your recent input in the poker debacle as I didn't agree with most of it, but that doesn't mean I dissagree with most of what you have to say in feedback or that I have something against you.

Then let's imagine either you "know where you stand with me" because of this use of the thanks feature and mention it to other posters you are friends with or other friends of yours see my thanks and come to their own (but similar to your) conclusions, what do you think will or could happen then?

Such missunderstandings such as above (don't get me wrong the use of the thanks feature could also be meant in a malicious way) can also happen without a thanks system but that for me at leasts gets to the heart of the problem that removing thanks is trying to solve (the accusations of cliques or mod circlejerks or whatever you wanna call it). I don't think removing thanks solves the problem but the problem still needs to be addressed imo.

Removing thanks is an overreaction but then this is the internet, overreactions are going to happen from everyone (admins, mods, long-term users, newbies, ...everyone...) as your post shows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boston wrote: »
    Thats the way we've always done things around here and if you don't like it you can GTFO.
    You really seem to love that approach it seems. I suppose it's brilliant reasoning. If you're ten. And of course goes some way to proving his point.
    tallaght01 wrote:

Thaedydal wrote:

The only issues re thanking posts seem to have sprung form the poker and soccer forums
    just beacuse they have been abused there I don't think it is fair to lock them down here.

TBH I agreed with this idea, as my earlier post suggested and would have given it two thumbs up. I also come from the same take as the cons on this. The ganging up situation, or how that may look that des and others referred to. Upon reflection and debate and posts such as the above, maybe it should be looked at again. Maybe it was a mistake. Reading the above and others which have raised very good points I reckon I was wrong.

Either way, it's threads like this and reasoned posts within that make feedback a good forum when it happens.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Any chance that you lot could quit bitching at each other and just have your say on the actually topic at hand?

Thanks and Happy Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

it makes little difference one way or another.

now people will go back to

+1 super :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Wibbs wrote: »
    You really seem to love that approach it seems. I suppose it's brilliant reasoning. If you're ten. And of course goes some way to proving his point.

Thats the way I've always been and if you don't like it you can...

I thought it was a fairly obvious play on Des's comment about people being told to get the **** out, despite the fact he's always been treated fairly on this forum. Perhaps I should have stuck in the [Ironic][/irnonic] tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,459 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As I said earlier prepare for longer threads with lots of +1s, and if you ban that then 'agreed' and so on.

Thanking a post can mean a lot of things but normally it would be either to agree with it or at least you are saying 'good post'.

Clearly its up to the admins, if you want the +1s and other one word posts then you leave off the thanks button.

tallaght01 wrote: »

/checks the world isn't ending as she and Tallagh01 agree on something.
    Imposter wrote: »
    Methinks that first and second point (as above) contradict each other. As an example I could have thanked someones post regarding your recent input in the poker debacle as I didn't agree with most of it, but that doesn't mean I dissagree with most of what you have to say in feedback or that I have something against you.

Then let's imagine either you "know where you stand with me" because of this use of the thanks feature and mention it to other posters you are friends with or other friends of yours see my thanks and come to their own (but similar to your) conclusions, what do you think will or could happen then?

What I was referring to was the personal abuse and vilification directed at me in posts which were then thanked in feedback in the last 12 months.
    There is a huge difference in thanking a post like that and thanking a post which disagrees with my opinion or take on a situation.

If thanks had been taken away for that reason I could understand it, but we are seeing posters infracted for such personal abuse now and I think this is a step backwards.
    Such missunderstandings such as above (don't get me wrong the use of the thanks feature could also be meant in a malicious way) can also happen without a thanks system but that for me at leasts gets to the heart of the problem that removing thanks is trying to solve (the accusations of cliques or mod circlejerks or whatever you wanna call it). I don't think removing thanks solves the problem but the problem still needs to be addressed imo.

I think we are always going to get groups of people who agree on either side of an opinion and saying such things are circle jerks in wrong as far as I am concerned and I don't think removing thanks will silence those who are likely to post here on issues but only silence those who wish to take part but not be 'attacked' in the forum for posting.
    Removing thanks is an overreaction but then this is the internet, overreactions are going to happen from everyone (admins, mods, long-term users, newbies, ...everyone...) as your post shows.

I think you have misunderstood my intital statement I have clarified above.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It can also be used to thank somebody who clarifies an alternative view or makes a point I never thought of. That would be one of the better uses of Thanks in Feedback and an important one. A lot of people may not reply for various reasons but Thanks adds their voice to the thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    It can also be used to thank somebody who clarifies an alternative view or makes a point I never thought of. That would be one of the better uses of Thanks in Feedback and an important one. A lot of people may not reply for various reasons but Thanks adds their voice to the thread.

+1

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I don't often, if ever, post in Feedback, but I do enjoy reading the majority of the topics here. I personally don't feel it would be my place to comment on something like a mod complaint that doesn't involve me, unless I feel very strongly about it.

Having the thanks option offers someone like me the ability to contribute to a certain thread without having the need to post a lengthy reply, or get into a bitching fight with someone, something that can often happen here. And just like the site as a whole, it can also improve the standard of posting. For me I don't see the necessity of removing it.

Just my own take on the matter.

Daysha wrote: »
    I don't often, if ever, post in Feedback, but I do enjoy reading the majority of the topics here. I personally don't feel it would be my place to comment on something like a mod complaint that doesn't involve me, unless I feel very strongly about it.

Having the thanks option offers someone like me the ability to contribute to a certain thread without having the need to post a lengthy reply, or get into a bitching fight with someone, something that can often happen here. And just like the site as a whole, it can also improve the standard of posting. For me I don't see the necessity of removing it.

+1

Daysha wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement

+1

+3

I forgot how annoying scrolling down and seeing a big post being quoted and waiting for a response only to see +1 was.

Thanks beats it hands down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

+3

I forgot how annoying scrolling down and seeing a big post being quoted and waiting for a response only to see +1 was.

Thanks beats it hands down.

+1

320px-SMirC-thumbsup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Personally, I dont give a monkies if it is enabled or disabled, but I did know that there would be some sort of useless feedback thread which highlight the fact that some people will use any excuse for a good old whinge.

Jesus, its a button. It can be put back. Seriously, I really dont uynderstand why everything that happens turns into accusations of mod circlejerks and fanboi-ism.

Is it not possible to have some sort of discussion without the drama of the world ending?

/chickenlicken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Boston wrote: »
    You had no problem with the fanboism when you where taking on the emergency services forum, if I recall correctly alot of people weighted in on "your side" and the side of "how things are done here".
    Well there's no reason a person can't have a foot in both camps - e.g. myself. While I object to the ganging up/sycophancy/bias/inconsistency/bandwagon-jumping, I also get irked by "and this from a mod?!!", "what about free speech?!", "you have to have a high postcount here to get taken seriously", "the mods all stick together" etc - that kind of paranoia/presumptuousness, and the abuse mods get, the way all mods are lumped together like one hegemonic group when nothing could be further from the truth, etc.
    If there are things to be addressed, they're definitely on both sides - but one feeds into the other and I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree with what Des said two pages back.

"Thanks" has no place in feedback and if people want to +1 but aren't arsed adding to the conversation contructively, they can fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Rb wrote: »
    I agree with what Des said two pages back.

"Thanks" has no place in feedback and if people want to +1 but aren't arsed adding to the conversation contructively, they can fuck off.

Maybe they have nothing to add but their agreement with another post. If somebody else has already said everything they wanted to say in an articulate manner, what's there to add?

javaboy wrote: »
    Maybe they have nothing to add but their agreement with another post. If somebody else has already said everything they wanted to say in an articulate manner, what's there to add?

What's the point in posting if it has already been summed up. Just to add to a post count or add noise?

*Ironically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

javaboy wrote: »
    Maybe they have nothing to add but their agreement with another post.
    ... or a "fair play to you for posting that comment".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

K-9 it's to show that more than one person feels that way without cluttering up the thread with repetitive posts.

Advertisement