Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer able to thank Feedback posts?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Rb wrote: »
    I agree with what Des said
    :eek:

I wish to withdraw my previous comments.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

I wish to withdraw my previous comments.

Javaboy: I don't think that serves any benefit in Feedback though or at least I believe it was being used far more sinisterly in heated debates than merely to say "I agree with this post".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Javaboy: I don't think that serves any benefit in Feedback though or at least I believe it was being used far more sinisterly in heated debates than merely to say "I agree with this post".

I'd disagree that thanking as a means of saying "I agree with this post and it sums up my opinions." does not add any benefit here. In fact I'd say it's more important in feedback than many other forums where threads can run to twenty pages of people unnecessarily repeating the same arguments. Hey just look at this thread and how many posts could be made redundant if thanks was allowed. :D It's a forum where clarity and brevity is important especially if a busy admin has to eventually read the whole thread and make a decision.

I do agree that it was being used by some to get digs in but I don't think it was a big problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I agree with what Des said two pages back.

"Thanks" has no place in feedback and if people want to +1 but aren't arsed adding to the conversation contructively, they can fuck off.

Bullshit.

Thanking a post in feedback - or anywhere - doesn't necessarily mean that you have nothing to say yourself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe because Feedback shouldn't be a popularity contest? It's not enabled in Helpdesk either. It is all too easy to just click thanks, rather than actually put your money where your mouse is and posit hopefully a cogent response in support of another user.

My take anyway.

I think the reason it's not enabled in help desk wasn't intentional. The posting rights in help desk muck it up or something like that.

I do think thanks should be enabled in feedback. I don't believe it has brought anything negative to feedback and I think that it was a great addition. Saved on the old "what he said" style posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Personally, I dont give a monkies if it is enabled or disabled, but I did know that there would be some sort of useless feedback thread which highlight the fact that some people will use any excuse for a good old whinge.

Jesus, its a button. It can be put back. Seriously, I really dont uynderstand why everything that happens turns into accusations of mod circlejerks and fanboi-ism.

Is it not possible to have some sort of discussion without the drama of the world ending?

/chickenlicken

The registered users could've been asked for input and opinion beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    The registered users could've been asked for input and opinion beforehand.

Why?

What good would it tod to ask a question when I aleady know taht there would be 10 pages of bickering and back and forth an no resolution?

Do you feel that every decision made on this site should be run through some sort of site wide polling station?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ah, so it is. Guess I was mistaken. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why?

What good would it tod to ask a question when I aleady know taht there would be 10 pages of bickering and back and forth an no resolution?

A 10 Page one after it is more preferable?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Personally, I dont give a monkies if it is enabled or disabled, but I did know that there would be some sort of useless feedback thread which highlight the fact that some people will use any excuse for a good old whinge.

Jesus, its a button. It can be put back. Seriously, I really dont uynderstand why everything that happens turns into accusations of mod circlejerks and fanboi-ism.

Is it not possible to have some sort of discussion without the drama of the world ending?

/chickenlicken

It's a button I don't see why it should be removed here over any other forum tbh.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Well there's no reason a person can't have a foot in both camps - e.g. myself. While I object to the ganging up/sycophancy/bias/inconsistency/bandwagon-jumping, I also get irked by "and this from a mod?!!", "what about free speech?!", "you have to have a high postcount here to get taken seriously", "the mods all stick together" etc - that kind of paranoia/presumptuousness, and the abuse mods get, the way all mods are lumped together like one hegemonic group when nothing could be further from the truth, etc.
    If there are things to be addressed, they're definitely on both sides - but one feeds into the other and I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg.

They're the same camp. I wonder do you conclude that me expressing my opinion is "ganging up/sycophancy/bias/inconsistency/bandwagon-jumping". It would help if you linked to what you're talking about. often posters like myself will continue to express and opinion even if it's universally unpopular.
    I agree with what Des said two pages back.

"Thanks" has no place in feedback and if people want to +1 but aren't arsed adding to the conversation contructively, they can fuck off.

I like your abrasive style. On one hand I agree that unless you're willing to put yourself out there you shouldn't get the option to have your opinion counter, while on the other I recognise that some people don't have a huge capacity for handling drama and want to show support without being dragged into the mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Boston wrote: »
    They're the same camp. I wonder do you conclude that me expressing my opinion is "ganging up/sycophancy/bias/inconsistency/bandwagon-jumping".
    Oh no, I don't consider merely expressing an opinion "ganging up/sycophancy/bias/inconsistency/bandwagon-jumping" at all, unless it's done in one of the above manners.
    It would help if you linked to what you're talking about.
    Too many examples - but I see it, and many others agree. We can't all be wrong.
    often posters like myself will continue to express and opinion even if it's universally unpopular.
    Oh, same here. Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion - the manner in which that's done though can make all the difference.

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh no, I don't consider merely expressing an opinion "ganging up/sycophancy/bias/inconsistency/bandwagon-jumping" at all, unless it's done in one of the above manners.

Too many examples - but I see it, and many others agree. We can't all be wrong

Oh, same here. Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion - the maonner in which that's done though can make all the difference.

How is it different? I post the view that user A is a cluetrain fuk tard. User B expresses similar view by posting. In what way isn't that the same bullying/ganging up as ascribed above?

I note that you can't provide a link but you're definitely certain its a problem which exists. Mayhap s you will discover that your opinion of what constitutes an a bullying post isn't what others agree with. Not to harp on about the Des and ES incident but there you had a large number of well established users criticising another user on Des's behalf. Is that not bullying/ganging up?

Be careful what you conclude to be obviously one thing, it may very well be another....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

boards.ie survived (entirely, not on a forum by forum basis) without a "Thanks" feature for the best part of a decade.

I can't imagine how we coped.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    boards.ie survived (entirely, not on a forum by forum basis) without a "Thanks" feature for the best part of a decade.

OK, Take your point, but I hope it was introduced with a view of improving Boards?

So taking it away would be going back to the way it was? A step back?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

We could cope without most features on this site. That's hardly an argument to get rid of them is it?

Not to harp on about the Des and ES incident but...
    Dude, seriously, the thread you linked about that.

I posted in it once, on, I think, the third or fourth page (if it was the second page I do apologise). I was highlighting one incident in which I was, in my opinion, badly treated by the mods and users of the forum. A forum in which I had posted and had a particularly bad experience. (unlike the usual dickheads who chime in in Feedback about Forums in which they never post, have no experience of, and have no clue about about.)

Furthermore, I didn't bring that experience to public/feedback attention at the time it had happened, I dealt with it in via the proper channels, reported the post with which I took issue and let a Mod deal with it.

Later when another user took issue with the same forum, I highlighted my previous issue, as a user, to back up the complainant.

Mod circlejerk?

the complete opposite, I would have thought.

icon14.gif

icon14.gif

Thems where the days, when all these fields where green.

K-9 wrote: »
    Thems where the days, when all these fields where green.

icon14.gif

/irony

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think the only solution is to create 2 feedback forums, one with thanks and one without.

How could that possibly fail.

• Advertisement

A 10 Page one after it is more preferable?
    *Shrug*

It would be the same debate, and whether you argue for or against, I guess someone is going to lose.

I just dont understand why so many people are afraid of any sort of change. Or is it more the consultation that people want?

Should we ask about every decision that is going to be made or is going to happen?

Things change organically here. There is no radical rethinking of the wheel. The decision to remove the thanks button was based on feedback from somewhere else.

WE will give it a try, and see what happens. If the forum is less for the removal, guess what, we will put it back. If the forum runs smoother for it being gone, then thats how it will stay.
    It's a button I don't see why it should be removed here over any other forum tbh.

And I dont see why it should be kept.

I guess we can argue that one all day, cant we :)

5starpool wrote: »
    I think the only solution is to create 2 feedback forums, one with thanks and one without.

How could that possibly fail.

I would refer you to the forum creation forum with that suggestion please, where it will be considered on its merits and dismissed after 3 weeks of slow deliberation.

(that was a joke :))

*Shrug*

It would be the same debate, and whether you argue for or against, I guess someone is going to lose.

I just dont understand why so many people are afraid of any sort of change. Or is it more the consultation that people want?

Should we ask about every decision that is going to be made or is going to happen?

Things change organically here. There is no radical rethinking of the wheel. The decision to remove the thanks button was based on feedback from somewhere else.

WE will give it a try, and see what happens. If the forum is less for the removal, guess what, we will put it back. If the forum runs smoother for it being gone, then thats how it will stay.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying we shouldn't bother giving our Feedback?

And it's not a case of people being afraid of change. Give people a little credit. Maybe they're actually posting here because they disagree with this particular change and not because of some general resistance of change. I find that attitude fairly dismissive.

OK, Take your point, but I hope it was introduced with a view of improving Boards?

So taking it away would be going back to the way it was? A step back?

I don't see it as a step anywhere. It's a button. No inherent value really, in my eyes. Makes for a nice feature on many forums, but doesn't mean it's suitable, necessary or helpful in every forum :)

javaboy wrote: »
    I don't understand your point. Are you saying we shouldn't bother giving our Feedback?

And it's not a case of people being afraid of change. Give people a little credit. Maybe they're actually posting here because they disagree with this particular change and not because of some general resistance of change. I find that attitude fairly dismissive.

No, I am not saying that you shouldnt give feedback, did I say that? Why would you think that, becuase it isnt what I said.

but not everything that happens on this forum is down to what the masses want.
    IN fact, I think the masses couldnt give a monkeys if the thanks button is on this forum or not.

If people disagree, then thats fine, but it doesnt mean that its going to change.

Like I said, its being tried out to see if it works for the site, not for a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You know, Trojan posted in the thread asking for logical reasons why Thanks should be reinstated. Many have been posted. There really is no need for your condescending post; boards.ie can survive without them too.

What I want is for people to stop making rash decisions, even trivial ones. It seems this decision was made off the back of one incident, one thread, rather than waiting for things to die down and allowing Thanks to continue to be used in the largely healthy way it has in here to date.

So feedback not received from the Feedback forum takes precedence over feedback received from it. I'll PM you for access to that feedback mechanism, shall I?
    WE will give it a try, and see what happens. If the forum is less for the removal, guess what, we will put it back.

We had, what, three or four years of Feedback without thanks. Don't recall it running any smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

*Shrug*

The decision to remove the thanks button was based on feedback from somewhere else.

Ye could've asked for feedback in the Feedback forum :)

Boards.ie survived without lots of things it currently has, however that doesn't mean we should get rid of them. The merits of the Thanking systems is what's being debated. It has its pluses and negatives and quiet a few people appear to believe the positives out weighted the negatives.

At the moment I'm more tempted to chime and post on issues as I can't show my support by thanking. Perhaps the admins see this as a positive.

Dude, seriously, the thread you linked about that.

icon14.gif

Really Des, this isn't the place for airing your grievances against mods / users I suggest you raise the issues you're concerned about in Helpdesk or via Pm with the relevant parties.
    *Shrug*

I was dead set against the introduction of the Thanks system. I was very vocal about it at the time as Ross can confirm, However I've since found it to be a very useful feature. I'm getting the impression you feel the users should be indifferent to changes like this? However the users will never be indifferent to a change which removes a medium for interaction, and believe it or not the thanks system was a medium whereby people (very basically) interacted.

I'd argue that removing it was active and that all things being equal in the "no reason to keep it, no reason to get rid of it" mindset, the status quo should have been the path the admins went down.

You know, Trojan posted in the thread asking for logical reasons why Thanks should be reinstated. Many have been posted. There really is no need for your condescending post; boards.ie can survive without them too.

I don't think it was condescending. I think it was a perfectly valid point. I had a look back over a few pre-thanks button Feedback threads last night, and to be honest I saw very little quantative difference between then and now. Apart from a little button to click.

The problem at the core here is, there are just as many logical reasons to *not* have them. The admins looked at those, and decided "there might be a point here" and had the removed from Feedback. So we know some people want them gone off Feedback, and we know some people want them kept. None of this is news, but who do we listen to? Who's viewpoint is *more* valid than the other?

So far one has come up with a solution as to how we can keep both camps happy, just what would keep them happy. Now that's the challenge I think needs tackling instead of the circling this thread is becoming :)

• Advertisement

I don't think it was condescending. I think it was a perfectly valid point. I had a look back over a few pre-thanks button Feedback threads last night, and to be honest I saw very little quantative difference between then and now. Apart from a little button to click.

The problem at the core here is, there are just as many logical reasons to *not* have them. The admins looked at those, and decided "there might be a point here" and had the removed from Feedback. So we know some people want them gone off Feedback, and we know some people want them kept. None of this is news, but who do we listen to? Who's viewpoint is *more* valid than the other?

So far one has come up with a solution as to how we can keep both camps happy, just what would keep them happy. Now that's the challenge I think needs tackling instead of the circling this thread is becoming :)

I agree with all the above. I think those who want it gone or perceive it to be solely bully are the minority however keeping it will probably affect them more then removing it will affect the majority who want it kept. Removing thanks isn't going to have a hugely negative affect on my use of boards.ie but keeping it may cause undue "harm" to those who find it objectionable.

So the question I ask is this, are there a significant number of people complaining about thanks system, strongly enough to merit its removal in the face of people who (push come to shove) would keep it? Sometimes when all you receive are complaints rather then positive feedback, it can be easier to think a problem is bigger then it really is.

Advertisement