Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OZ via Thailand

Options
  • 18-06-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all, just been quoted €1185 to fly out to adelaide in november via a 5 week stopoff in thailand and a direct return from perth to Dublin next yr sometime. Do you think this is reasonable? Any ideas on particular places i should visit in Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam? I've heard theres a place in Cambodia they let u use AK47's and throw grenades into a lake is this true? + where is it :D. thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

Get yourself an extra 2 weeks for the stop off and you should be able to do the cliched loop of Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. You will regret it if you don't as you'll miss out on places like that AK47 place.
    Why are you going to Adelaide?
    I've been here for 3 months for work reasons...Socially wise, it's pretty dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

thanks for the reply, gonna go for just over six weeks now cheers. where in cambodia is that place do you know? any1 got a sample travel itinerary which i could follow? Decided on adelaide as i presumed it would be easier to get accomodation so close to xmas than in sydney, possibly easier to get a job as every1 will b heading to sydney at that time of the year and just thought it'd b a good place to start my travels up along the east coast b4 finishing in Perth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sounds a bit pricey.

I booked Heathrow -> Bangkok -> Phuket -> Sydney -> Cairns for under €800

Heathrow -> Bangkok -> Phuket with Thai Airways
    Phuket -> Sydney -> Cairns with Jetstar

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Phnom Penh - Out near the killing fields is where you'll the grenades and stuff. If you're into that sort.

My itinerary:
    Bangkok - Chiang Rai - Boat to Luang Prabang (Laos) - Phonsavan - Vientiane - Hanoi (Vietnam) - Hue - Nha trang - Saigon - Phnom Penh (Cambodia) - Battenbang - Siem Riep - Bangkok - Phuket and the islands etc (South Thailand)

Then i moved onto Malaysia and Indonesia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

mal1 how long did it take you to cover cambodia, laos, vietnam and thailand? any particular highlights? places i shouldnt bother going?

Cheers for the reply on the price of flights btw went for the original anyways couldnt find cheaper online, mayb i wasnt lookin in the right areas! ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

It cost me 700Eur from Bangkok to Auckland, so you should be able to get a better price. Check out www.kayak.co.uk for comparisions to what you were quoted.
    Phnom Penh - Out near the killing fields is where you'll the grenades and stuff. If you're into that sort.

Yeah, do it before you visit the Killing fields and S-21 as you won't be in the mood otherwise. 50USD for an automatic ak. Don't go for the so called mp5 as it is in fact just a rimfire .22 No grenades afaik, tho given the lawlessness of Cambodia you probably just have to ask the right cop :p

Btw, find a place called 'The alley cat cafe' in Phenom Penh if you want to meet some of the local ex-pats and for some excellent food.

It costs just over 100euro one way from sydney to auckland with virgin blue booking a month in advance.
    Bangkok to Sydney is about 310 euro a month in advance with jetstar.
    But if you go to Kuala Lumpar which alot of people do after seeing the islands south of bangkok...you can get kuala lumpar to melbourne for about 130 euro with air asia and a cheap flight to nz about 100 euro although probably christchurch or wellington

all prices include taxes.

Actually air asia have one way flights from Stansted to Kuala Lumpur for about 130 euro all in...I KID YOU NOT !
    So a cheap ryanair flight to Stansted for 30 euro
    standsted - KL 130 euro
    KL - Melbourne - 60euro

You can travel around Asia easily from KL with air asia flights so if you were flexible you could really get to oz and asia for about 300 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Cheapest thailand to Oz route is definately Bangkok to Melbourne with Jetstar. They go from anywhere from $200 to $380 AUS.. pittens.

Jetstar longhaul aint pretty though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gooch11

would anyone know where to get cheap flights to sydney from dublin via thailand?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

terencemc wrote: »
    Actually air asia have one way flights from Stansted to Kuala Lumpur for about 130 euro all in...I KID YOU NOT !
    So a cheap ryanair flight to Stansted for 30 euro
    standsted - KL 130 euro
    KL - Melbourne - 60euro

You can travel around Asia easily from KL with air asia flights so if you were flexible you could really get to oz and asia for about 300 euro

feck me sideways, just priced this myself for random dates this month, you really could do it for about 300-400 quid!!

on a side note to this type of method, can you enter Australia without proof of flights home? meaning can you just book your return flight in the same fashion(mega cheaply) a year later?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

its not possible to throw grenades or shoot cows with RPG;s any more around phenom phem, the goverment have put the brakes on this, you can however still shoot chickens/ducks for an extra $15 at the army base near the killing fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lou044

Go with Air Asia!Fly with Ryanair to London, London to KL then cheap air asia flight from KL to Bangkok. If I was you I wouldn't bother booking a return flight- you might want to stay in Aus for an extra year, go home via Asia or head to NZ. So many people book return flights and then change their mind. Thailand is awesome as are Cambodia and Vietnam- wasn't mad on Laos myself- found it a bit boring!

Advertisement