Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing ram and hard drive on dell vostro laptop

Options
  • 18-06-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

My laptops hard drive has snuffed it i think, tried reinstalling windows, defrags, hard drive regenerator the whole sheband and its still running at a SNAILS pace(i think i can thank a freind o mine for this as he dropped it).

Anyway the harddrive needs replacing and i was just wondering what type of replacement i should be looking for? Prefrably looking for a 7200 rpm 200 gig plus if i can but it all depends on the funds. Also while im at it i said id fork in another 2 gigs of ram, where is the cheapest place to get laptop ram these days?

Using windows xp for the moment but il prob be changing over to windows 7 in a while when it gets a bit more stable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Buy your RAM from crucial.com, found it decent enough myself and planning to buy some soon for my Macbook Pro

Actually gonna buy an HDD soon of Komplett as I've only a 160 GB and need more, getting a 500 GB 7200rpm Seagate Momentus as the HDD slot is only 9.5mm high and some 2.5" drives can be up to 1.5cm high - Google suitable height HDD's and you should get something

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On the ram, if you wanna add 2, presumably on top of another 2, you'll need to buy 4gb, as the two slots will be currently filled with 1gb sticks.

try mymemory.co.uk Great retailer.

Drives, as above.

*Posted from a Vostro Laptop :)*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Cheers lads!

BTW< go into the power management and set it to full on all fronts, as stock they limit to like 0.5ghz when not connected, you'll get hours of battery, but checking your email will take hours :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DLohan

Another cool insider trick is to go to http://www.crucial.com/. You can readily identify memory using their website. Cool when you need to know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Hey lads after scanning the internet i was told that a 2.5 inch internal harddrive is whats used in all notebooks these days. Just said id double check this one here, will this fit the vostro does anyone know?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=358191

Patricide wrote: »
    Hey lads after scanning the internet i was told that a 2.5 inch internal harddrive is whats used in all notebooks these days. Just said id double check this one here, will this fit the vostro does anyone know?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=358191

Yeah, it appears that Vostros take the standard 9.5mm drive. I am running low now, and rather than spending 110 STG on a 32GB SDHC I think I'll spend 78 on a WD 7200 320GB. Full and I dont even have any of my miniDV rips on it :rolleyes:

Advertisement