Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 100 - 11th July 2009

Options
  • 18-06-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

The UFC reach a landmark event, only a few years removed from their threatened demise. The have pulled out all the stops for a great night of fights with 2 title fights and a stacked undercard featuring up and comers, contenders, former champions, challengers and champions.

Main Card -

Brock Lesnar ( UFC Heavyweight Champion ) v Frank Mir ( UFC Interim Champion )

Georges St Pierre ( UFC Welterweight Champion ) v Thiago Alves

Michael Bisping v Dan Henderson

John Fitch v Paulo Thiago

Yoshiro Akiyama v Alan Belcher

Undercard -

Stephan Bonnar v Mark Coleman

Jon Jones v Jake O'Brien

Dong Hyun Kim v TJ Grant

Matt Grice v Shannon Gugerty

CB Dollaway v Tom Lawlor

Mac Danzig v Jim Miller
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I am pumped up for this night of fights, what does everyone else think.

Thoughts, opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Shouuld be good. Lots of interesting match-ups and fighters on display:D

Does anyone think Alvez can trouble GSP? I know he has taken a few scalps but surely GSP will take him down (to avoid his Ko power and leg kicks) and dominate from top?

Can see brock v Mir going the same way as last time(Brock onslaught, Mir ankle lock) ,unless frank tries to stand with him(after awesome show against Nog), in which case he will get Ko'ed.

Bonnar will probably beat the crap out of a game Coleman (cant see any way Coleman wins this and imagine when its over we will all feel sorry for him, he should retire etc etc)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Main Card -

Brock Lesnar ( UFC Heavyweight Champion ) v Frank Mir ( UFC Interim Champion )

Georges St Pierre ( UFC Welterweight Champion ) v Thiago Alves

Michael Bisping v Dan Henderson

Undercard -

Stephan Bonnar v Mark Coleman

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Can't see past a Lesnar win here.

GSP

Man I hope Bisping wins but it should be a good fight and I would say will be the best of the night.

Bonnar will pound Coleman, KO early in the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I dont think its too great considering its a landmark show.

looking forward to the top 3 though, they are a good standard.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Wonder will it be live for longer than the 3 hour standard show, wouldn't mind having a 5 hour show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Wonder will it be live for longer than the 3 hour standard show, wouldn't mind having a 5 hour show.

That would just be overkill, i hate over long shows.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Can't wait for this, I fly out to Vegas on the 8th. I got vip tickets to the two fan expo and then off to see the event. Rool on UFC 100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

My predictions are -

Henderson to beat Bisping on points. I think he'll have too much experience and fight savvy. I think Bisping will be better standing, but I can't see him stop the takedowns and I'm really rooting for Henderson.

GSP I think will have far far too much for Alves. I don't think he merits a shot as depsite his run of wins I think there are far tought fights for GSP. He's a good striker alright, but GSP will dominate him from start to finish with kicks, wrestling and gnp.

The main event - I've said for years that Frank Mir would be champion again and I believe he will win the title here. However, I was far far more confident of him beating Lesnar last time. Lesnar is an animal and works so hard at every thing he does that I can see him improving enormously at everything, most crucially submission defence. Standing, I can see Frank last from a technique point of view, but power wise all it takes is a glancing shot from Lesnar and fight is over. However - and this is one thing that really gets me re the Mir haters - is there any other heavyweight, or indeed fighter, that is SO aggressive at submission attempts. He gets stick over Cardio, but that's because of the relentless pace he sets in his fights ( try rolling for 5 mins at full aggressive attack and you'll see ). Look at the Sims fights, the Tank Abbott, the Sylvia fight, Lesnar, Hardonk - give him any sort of opening and he'll exploit it in a split second. I can't see Lesnar being so good at defence on the ground that he won't give some sort of a limb, and for me that's it, game over - and I'm predicting in the first round. Hopefully a leg lock. :D

Can't wait for this, I fly out to Vegas on the 8th. I got vip tickets to the two fan expo and then off to see the event. Rool on UFC 100 :D

and there was me thinking there was a recession :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

and there was me thinking there was a recession :confused:

I got left go from Dell a few weeks ago and with the money I got from them I said f**k it who knows when I will have the chance/money to go to Vegas again. I have always wanted to go to Vegas so it's now or never.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

I got left go from Dell a few weeks ago and with the money I got from them I said f**k it who knows when I will have the chance/money to go to Vegas again. I have always wanted to go to Vegas so it's now or never.

you wont regret it,vegas is savage!!
    make sure you cover up though,weather over there will be around the 40 degree mark and the sun is unforgiving,too much rays for the average paddies skin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cowzerp wrote: »
    I dont think its too great considering its a landmark show.

looking forward to the top 3 though, they are a good standard.

:confused:

The show is pretty stacked.

GSP & Brock two of the biggest box office draws on one show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Its a great card but I would have liked maybe 2 more compelling matches on the main card. With the ufcs fighter roster I think they could have mustered up 2 more exciting matches than fitch v thiago and belcher v akiyama..

Hope we get to see coleman v bonner anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I have to agreee with this, other than the three top fights, the card has promise, but could still be weak enough on the night. Big fan of Jon Jones, and would like to see his fight. Given that there is 2 title fights, which could both potentially be 5 round fights, we might not get to see much of the under card.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Going to Vegas aswell to see 100 flying out the 5th of July going to Xtreme Couture and Warrior for abit of training that's the main reason besides the event and doing the seminars at the fan expo with Wanderlai,Faber,Dellagrotte and Eddie Bravo.
    I have a feeling with Alves cutting from over 200 down to 170 that GSP's team will plan for him to try and take the fight into the championship rounds to test Alves' cardio especially when he suffers from ATT syndrome in making weight.
    Mir Lesnar is going to be a tough one to call.
    Henderson to beat Bisping in a split decision. Looking forward to Jon Jones live and Jim Miller giving Danzig his marching orders from the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yeah, really looking forward to this card.

I remember having a conversation with mirwillbeback ages about Mir, and i was pretty stalwart in my view that Mir was done. In a way it's nice to see that i was wrong, his win over Nog really was something else in my book. I think Mir takes this. It's not so much bandwagon jumping as Mir having started to show he has reached the potential that most of us thought he had. I am also thinking that some of his greatest moments will always come against people with a lesser understanding of the ground game who are given to a wrestlers instincts and i think that yes, we will see Mir in trouble at some point but i don't think Lesnar has all his wrestling instincts dealt with yet.

The GSP fight is interesting for me, if only because it seems Alves has that little something special that seperates the good from the great, even if it is only in one area. It might be enough to sneak the fluke win against an opponent who should really dominate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Cant believe i have to wait for UFC 102 ie August!! to see Damian Maia fight again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

If anyone knows a place i can see it in laganas in zekynthos? Would be great if i could catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Killme00 wrote: »
    Cant believe i have to wait for UFC 102 ie August!! to see Damian Maia fight again

I hear ya. That's somethin that must be frustrating being contracted with the ufc. If your not one of the popular (to the casual fan) like the chucks, lesnars etc.. you could be laid of for months and months between fights. Even Anderson had a rant about not getting enough fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I don't get why the coleman fight is not in the main card and I do agree the card could have been stronger

I think Mir will have his hands full with brock now. I hope Mir wins but won't be surprised if brock GNPs his face through the matt. That much power is hard to deal with

Going to vegas is hardly a now or never sort of thing!!! it's not exactly a life or death situation and the recession will be gone and travel will get cheaper. Anyway.

Very excited about this. Lesnar win and GSP also.

Is it just me or does anyone else find Jon Jones very exciting to watch? I've only seen a couple of his fights as UFC is a relatively new founded thing for me but he fights with incredible technique. This card woud be perfect for me if Cain Velasquez was fighting too.

EDIT: Does anyone know where I can watch this in Queenstown, New Zealand???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

EDIT: Does anyone know where I can watch this in Queenstown, New Zealand???

The World Bar I would say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Jason Mc wrote: »
    I don't get why the coleman fight is not in the main card

As they don’t want Coleman potentially dying on the main card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

rovert wrote: »
    As they don’t want Coleman potentially dying on the main card.

But I want to see his twins crying again... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Is it just me or does anyone else find Jon Jones very exciting to watch?

He also has one of the coolest nicknames in all of MMA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

dunkamania wrote: »
    Given that there is 2 title fights, which could both potentially be 5 round fights, we might not get to see much of the under card.
    I honestly don't know who will win between Brock and Mir, but I can't see it going 5 rounds either way.

Agree with the quality comments - it would be great for a regular show, but I thought they could've pumped this one up a bit more. I've been more excited about December cards than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Kazooie wrote: »
    I hear ya. That's somethin that must be frustrating being contracted with the ufc. If your not one of the popular (to the casual fan) like the chucks, lesnars etc.. you could be laid of for months and months between fights. Even Anderson had a rant about not getting enough fights.

Brock won't have fought in eight months now. Chuck hadn't fought in seven months before his last fight I think. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Pretty much all fighters have to wait months for a fight. Brock did fight Couture three months after his previous fight, but he took no damage against Herring

I don't get the comments about the card not being stacked either. There are two title matches featuring two of their biggest draws as well as the culmination of TUF. Maybe you don't like the other fights as much, but what else can they do? Maybe swap Guida/Sanchez from this weekend with a fight? But then you'll have Coleman/Bonnar or Akiyama/Belcher headlining the Fight Night, which would hurt that show. 100 is not the be all and the end all, they've got a lot of other shows that they need to promote

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

I hope brock beats the **** out of Mir, he was arrogant before he was on TUF, well known as being a d*ck to people if you were rolling with him when i was in the USA back in 2001. Dont remember his submission game being that active when pe de pano was smashing his face in, active jits v tim sylvia and wes sims is not exactly a huge task. Let him do it against barnett or fedor or lesnar. Not a huge lesnar fan, but take him over Mir anyday. Nog is a gentleman.

Hopefully henderson will be too much for bisping, cant see GSP being too troubled and any card with Fitch on it is a good one to watch.

What I really hope is that Setanta are still around to show the upcoming UFCs. The only reason I signed up for the summer was to see brock beat mir and penn beat florian. Now that they have lost the premier league for next year it could be curtains very quickly.

Dont remember his submission game being that active when pe de pano was smashing his face in, active jits v tim sylvia and wes sims is not exactly a huge task. Let him do it against barnett or fedor or lesnar. .

In fairness, the Pe De Pano fight was his first in almost 2 years after having his leg smashed to smithereens. He's already done it against Lesnar with a an beautiful beautiful leg lock, and it isnt his fault he can't fight Fedor or Barnett - neither could Randy and and no one blames HIM for that. Mir smashed Nog to pieces, a black belt in jiu jitsu knocking out someone with an iron chin for the first time in career, and on the feet too.
    He seems a lot more humble since the accident and maybe this came from realising he wasn't indestructible. He was sound when I met him, though in fairness it wasn't sparring so that's not to say he wouldn't be a prick there. I've said this before on this board - I'm amazed at the grief Mir gets. He is someone who was a UFC champion, never lost the belt in a scrap and after being told he'd struggle to walk again, and been smashed in 2 of 3 comeback fights, he's dedicated himself to be one fight away from being champ again. If it was anyone else, people would be nuthugging him to bits.
    Anyways, 11th July will sort it all out, if he's smashed by Lesnar, then " mirwontbeback "
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Interesting.. Mir did kinda come across as a dick on TUF, but I thought this might have been more down to the editing process.. He is very sure of himself anyway, so I could well imagine him being like you said. I do really respect the fact that he faced such adversery though and managed to get through it and achieve his goals.

Im rooting for Mir because even with all his cockiness, I think hes a better representive of mma than Brock. I wont be too teed off if Brock wins though, as it will validate him somewhat and set up a few more interesting match ups in the future.

GSP all the way. I hope he smashes Alves..

Gonna root for Hendo too, but wont be too disappointed if Bisping takes it, as hendo looks like hes on the tail end of his career anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

Brock has been working harder than anyone in the sport for the last 6 months for this fight - ya know he has - he's just different than everyone else - he knows he's a very unusually agile powerful big guy and in his own words is a very coachable athlete - in other words he listens and applies and is humble and will work harder than anyone and cash in on his freaky physical ability but ya can just see it in his eyes when he's interviewed - he knows exactly what he's up against and at this point he's done so much focused training over the last 2.5 years or so - like the equivalent to some of you guys who train regularly would acheive in 5 years or more - that he now has no real excuses - he is the real deal the full package now and would in my mind beat everyone in the sport with maybe a question mark over fedor who cannot be ruled out of any fight with any human alive. He was destroying the over rated Mir untill Mir cowed his own head on the ground to avoid his own destruction which resulted in a couple slaps upside the head which resulted in a stupid stand-up when the ref should have just taken the view that Mir was not defending himself and was getting destroyed. The submission in the end was brilliant but Mir knows well that he ducked away form the punches and that the stand up was an ill disserved get out of jail free card which he capitalised on with an exellant knee bar. Mir is quality - he beat a has been nog - very well but Nog is finished - it made me sad to see how finished he actually is but Mir wouldn't have had much of a chance against a Nog of old.

BROCK - TKO ROUND ONE BY SOME SORT OF PIKACHOO EXPLOSION OF WHITE RAGE

GSP - SUBMISSION ROUND 3 AFTER WEARING OUT ALL OTHER OPTIONS BECAUSE ALVES IS A WRECKING BALL AND THE ONLY THING THAT'LL STOP HIM ON THE NIGHT BAR A GRENADE WILL BE A SETUP FOR A TEXT BOOK SUBMISSION - AND BECAUSE HE WANTS SOME SORT OF CATCH WEIGHT FIGHT WITH SILVA SOME TIME SO THIS IS JUST ANOTHER STEPPING STONE TOWARDS GREATNESS

HOPE THE COLEMAN FIGHT DOESN'T HAPPEN - BEST RESULT WOULD BE HE LOSES WITHOUT TOO MUCH DAMAGE AND TAKES THE MONEY AND RETIRES - BECAUSE ITS FIGHTS LIKE THIS THAT HAS MADE ME WONDER DEEPLY ABOUT THE POINT OF PRO MMA - BUT THEN I THINK COUTURE AND I REMEMBER WHY

Advertisement