Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flabbergasted at Homebase prices North v South

Options
  • 18-06-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Was browsing online for a dining suite ( 6 Chairs & table)
    Found a nice suite online UK homebase site 170 stg. Rang Drogheda store currently retailing at 599 euro WTF????

Even with sixty quid delivery from that deal hunter crowd its coming in at around 260 compared to 600 , I just can't fathom the justification of that price difference!!!!!

:eek::eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

two words, Fianna Fail. They runied the economy over past decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

tweety76 wrote: »
    Was browsing online for a dining suite ( 6 Chairs & table)
    Found a nice suite online UK homebase site 170 stg. Rang Drogheda store currently retailing at 599 euro WTF????

Even with sixty quid delivery from that deal hunter crowd its coming in at around 260 compared to 600 , I just can't fathom the justification of that price difference!!!!!

:eek::eek:

Can you give the model name?

My guess is the UK price is for the table on its own (most of their web prices is for table only and then you add the chairs) and the drogheda price is for table & chairs.

e.g. Rhodes Ash veneer Table £169.99
    6 x chairs to match = £290.00
    Total price £460

Homebase, whilst not the cheapest converter of sterling to euro definitely does not have this type of discrepancy.

They also have a furniture sale on - UK / Ireland may have different models on dale.

But my advice if you are looking for a deal on furnoture is to go to wilsons auctions on naas road tomorrow for teh classic furniture liquidation auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

darc wrote: »
    Can you give the model name?

My guess is the UK price is for the table on its own (most of their web prices is for table only and then you add the chairs) and the drogheda price is for table & chairs.

e.g. Rhodes Ash veneer Table £169.99
    6 x chairs to match = £290.00
    Total price £460

Homebase, whilst not the cheapest converter of sterling to euro definitely does not have this type of discrepancy.

They also have a furniture sale on - UK / Ireland may have different models on dale.

But my advice if you are looking for a deal on furnoture is to go to wilsons auctions on naas road tomorrow for teh classic furniture liquidation auction.

Nope price was for full dining suite darc, are you working for homebase btw???

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near Naas but thanks for the tip. Perhaps southern homebase will offer the same prices when their sale starts but as of date of posting there was hundreds of euro in the difference.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

two words, Fianna Fail. They runied the economy over past decade.
    Yeah because Fianna Fáil control Homebase and their prices.

Talking out of your @ss with an uninformed opinion is just too funny.

tweety76 wrote: »
    Nope price was for full dining suite darc, are you working for homebase btw???
    why is it when anyone tries to make a reasonable answer regarding a negative comment they must always "work for the company"

I certainly DON'T work for homebase and I have been quite critical of their sterling / euro exchange, BUT a difference of the magnitude you are saying is UNHEARD OF in the retail sector unless there is a particular reason for it.

From what I see, Homebase operate a policy of approx. €1.4 to €1.5 exchange on virtually every product on their shelves.

Any reason why you can't supply the model name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lars-irl

darc wrote: »
    why is it when anyone tries to make a reasonable answer regarding a negative comment they must always "work for the company"

I certainly DON'T work for homebase and I have been quite critical of their sterling / euro exchange, BUT a difference of the magnitude you are saying is UNHEARD OF in the retail sector unless there is a particular reason for it.

From what I see, Homebase operate a policy of approx. €1.4 to €1.5 exchange on virtually every product on their shelves.

Any reason why you can't supply the model name?

I agree with Darc...You can't come out and say a statement like that and not back it up..Some proof please! I don't work for HOMEBASE or any retail store for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Lads chill out!!

I am posting this to make people aware of bargains not string up homebase!!

It was the Toronto Dining set & 6 chairs...you'll see it on their site.

Haven't bought it yet BTW am going to visit local homebase store to see if the sale has started yet and see if its a similar euro price( apparently 2 weeks behind UK sale- so the sales guy told me)

So its currentl;y at half price in Homebase UK and its at the regular price in Homebase in Ireland?

Maybe that should have been mentioned in the OP. I'm sure there are plenty of special offers in Tesco in Ireland that are not in Tesco UK and vice versa.

IMO any set of furniture at that price will not be of long lasting quality - but ideal as something for a couple of years.

If I were you, I'd wait till Ikea opens.

Advertisement