Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor Tax Renewal Form Question

• 18-06-2009 2:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a car last month on the 27th. It had been off the road/not taked for a while (tax disck ran out March). I had in a garage until about 5th June

Whats the story with taxing it (finally got the log yesterday)

Do I fill out a form to say it was off the road till the 5th and then tax it as normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yes, you will need a Garda to witness it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I assume its just this form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

kearnsr wrote: »
    I assume its just this form?
    Yep thats the one. You need to fill out, expiry of last tax disc, non use period and tax disc now required.

Bring it to garda station and get tham to stamp in Section 7. Sign in front of guard, shouldn't be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Looking at the form, I think you also need another one because the car was untaxed for a period prior to you owning it.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Looking at the form, I think you also need another one because the car was untaxed for a period prior to you owning it.
    Nope no other form needed, prior ownership tax is their responsiblity not his

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nipplenuts wrote: »
    That has no bearing on the new owner taxing it.

However, the OP might be asked how you got it home - assuming they drove it, then tax would be payable for that particular month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kbannon wrote: »

However, the OP might be asked how you got it home - assuming they drove it, then tax would be payable for that particular month.

I did drive it home. Does that count for may?

That has no bearing on the new owner taxing it.

I bought my car in April 2008, it had no prior tax disc. Didn't need the car til May this year so brought to garda station, signed, stamped, no questions asked.

Depends on the guard you get i think

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kearnsr wrote: »
    I did drive it home. Does that count for may?
    If you drove it on the roads in May then yes!
    I bought my car in April 2008, it had no prior tax disc. Didn't need the car til May this year so brought to garda station, signed, stamped, no questions asked.

Depends on the guard you get i think
    I posted on another thread about ANPR being in use on the roads. Your movements may well have been recorded onto a Garda database routinely. If you lie that you weren't driving the car then you could end up in a pile of trouble!

If you drove it on the roads in May then yes!

I posted on another thread about ANPR being in use on the roads. Your movements may well have been recorded onto a Garda database routinely. If you lie that you weren't driving the car then you could end up in a pile of trouble!
    Ive got nothing to worry about, i havent been using my car for the last year :P

• Advertisement

just found out I have to move abroad for work for a couple of months so may not be an issue at all

Advertisement