Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone here on a learner permit been done for no L tabbard yet?

• 18-06-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering are the gards enforcing this one? or do most of them even know about it?

Has anyone without a full license been caught out without the L vest? if so what happened?

<edit> just noticed my post count is at 666 :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Been stopped a few times. Asked about it once. I told the gardai it was like putting a bullseye on my back if I tried to keep to the speed limit. He let me go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Got stopped in town last Thursday without hi-viz jacket or L plate, had my bike licence all of two days and he didn't say anything :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have never been stopped in a year, and over 6000 miles both commuting and driving to Waterford/Tipperary plenty of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

never been asked about it, was only stopped twice though at checkpoints for checking tax. I'd be more worried about my insurance using it as a technicality for not coughing up if I was in an accident, than a Garda pulling me up over it.

I agree with the above poster about it being a bullseye. The few people I have seen with L vests seem to get an awful time from motorists trying to jockey them off the road and pass them by. I think maintaining a good road position, good observation and well signalled manoeuvring works better than the L vest tbh. They give you a bit of space rather than treating you like a noob who needs to be pushed off to the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

hobochris wrote: »
    <edit> just noticed my post count is at 666 :D

No more posting for you then :D.

clown bag wrote: »
    I agree with the above poster about it being a bullseye. The few people I have seen with L vests seem to get an awful time from motorists trying to jockey them off the road and pass them by. I think maintaining a good road position, good observation and well signalled manoeuvring works better than the L vest tbh. They give you a bit of space rather than treating you like a noob who needs to be pushed off to the side of the road.

Have to agree with you there, as I have been wearing it, and it seems that just about every car wants to pass me, cut me off or pull out in front of me.
    Think I might just put it away and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I save a square patch on my back where it used to be (from the 1st few eeeks that I wore it) and a small 1 centimeter square piece of white plastic. If stopped I'll just say it blew off :D
    They're impossible to keep the front ones on anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I never wore one apart from when I was doing my test. Got stopped twice while on provo and asked - I just said that I used to wear it but it puts me in more danger as drivers try to do weird things. One guard even told me he's on a provisional and never wears his either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

I was wearing it when I started and I honestly think that it was useful. I got a lot more space in traffic and it was an explanation to the drivers behind me when I made a fool of myself at the lights. But as I got up to speed, it became the bullseye as the other described it. Wear it when you start riding!

Well I'm straight on to the M50 each morning to work at rush hour, same on the way home, don't think wearing the L-plate would do me any favours :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I got stopped by a lovely blond guard in tramore she was so nice about it and told me she taught it was wrong too!!!man was she hot:D:D

• Advertisement

I got stopped by a lovely blond guard in tramore she was so nice about it and told me she taught it was wrong too!!!man was she hot:D:D

haha, no point if she's hot if you didn't get a number ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Lads, I have to go.

Quick trip down to Tramore :D

Hopefully I will have some pics of a hot female Gardia for my troubles :D.

P.C. wrote: »
    Lads, I have to go.

Quick trip down to Tramore :D

Hopefully I will have some pics of a hot female Gardia for my troubles :D.

Haha, suprised you haven't tried to re-arrange the route of the rideout :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Well I'm straight on to the M50 each morning to work at rush hour, same on the way home, don't think wearing the L-plate would do me any favours :pac:

L Drivers aren't supposed to be on the M50 anyway, tabard or not. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

colm_c wrote: »

Try saying that to the hundreds of car drivers on L-Plates too.

Always used the M50 on the provisional, much safer bet than using the old roads through Bray/Shankill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Try saying that to the hundreds of car drivers on L-Plates too.

Always used the M50 on the provisional, much safer bet than using the old roads through Bray/Shankill.

I'm the same, always use the m50, i bought an L tabbard from hein guerike up north, wore it a couple of times then got sick of the assignation attempts.

Haven't gone through a check point yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

colm_c wrote: »

Think that was his point... wearing a big L-tabard on the M50 would be asking for trouble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Just got my first 1k miles down on my first bike. I've never worn the tabard and have no intention either. Already get enough of a hard time as it is trying to stay close to the speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

I only wore mine for the test however i did wear a blank high-viz tabbard normally, i think it was a good compromise. The L tabbard is embarrassing and dangerous!

Advertisement