Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

presidency

Options
  • 18-06-2009 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

if lisbon passes - is it likely we will ever have the presidency again?

is the president bound by the same laws not to be biased like the commissioners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

As I understand it the President would have the same role as the current system, i.e basically a Chairman of the Council , no executive powers

although how this would work given the number of council's out there is a problem. Does he/she appoint representatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think one of the problems is the "we" attitude that people have towards all things EU.

Of course the president is going to act in the interests of the EU. You would hardly expect an Irish president to base policy solely on 1% of the populations he presides over. Fundamentally, the EU is there to gain consensus and this is what people dont seem to grasp. The EU isn't there for us to constantly bicker with and for individuals to dogmatically seek their own countries' interests. Because many times, what is good for Germany, France, Luxembourg, Malta etc is also good for us.

From the Lisbon Treaty White Paper PART 1 Chapter 5:
    13. The Treaty in Article 1.16 provides for the establishment of a new post of President of the European Council. This position and the nature of its responsibilities were the subject of active debate.

14. The terms of reference of the President basically reproduce the current duties of the rotating chair of the European Council as they have evolved. The president of the European Council is to act as chair and drive forward its work, facilitating cohesion and consensus; to ensure the preparation of the Europeans Council's work, but in co-operation with the president of the Commission and on the basis of the work of the General Affairs Committee; and, at his or her level, to ensure the external representation of the Unions Common Foreign and Security Policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

is the president bound by the same laws not to be biased like the commissioners?

It's as likely as not I suppose. That would depend the usual wheeling and dealing. I don't see why not. By all accounts we did an excellent job the last time we had it, finally managing to pull everyone together to agree to a format for the European Constitution, even if it did end up getting shelved.

There's no guarantee, either way.

The president doesn't have any powers that could be used in a biased way. The president is the chair of the council, being responsible for co-ordinating the councils work. The president also has the responsibility of representing the council at the other European institutions (commission, parliament), as well as at external institutions such as the G8. The president does not have the power to make up policy, they are just there to relay the policies as decided by the council as a whole.

It's not like the American president, or even our president. It's the President of the Council, not the President of Europe (despite what the media might say).

This, from wikipedia, sums up the role quite well:
    The Presidency, which is sometimes informally called the EU Presidency, has as its primary responsibility to organise and chair all meetings of the Council. However, working out compromises capable of resolving difficulties is in practice also a primary responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Riskymove wrote: »
    As I understand it the President would have the same role as the current system, i.e basically a Chairman of the Council , no executive powers

although how this would work given the number of council's out there is a problem. Does he/she appoint representatives?

Basically, there are two types of Presidency. The one that everyone thinks about is the new position of President of the European Council, which is a 2.5 year term, with the possibly of a second term. He/She is elected by QMV in the European Council. Basically, the President of the EU Council represents the EU at international level, along with the High Representative (i.e. the person charged with Foreign Affairs/Security Policy). There's a good post by Scofflaw on the site somewhere on the role of the President; there really is no power attached to it.

The second type of presidency is the rotating Presidency of the Council (of Ministers). This is more or less the same position as exists today, but it has no input in foreign affairs, or the tasks carried out by the main President.

• Advertisement

Basically, there are two types of Presidency. The one that everyone thinks about is the new position of President of the European Council, which is a 2.5 year term, with the possibly of a second term. He/She is elected by QMV in the European Council. Basically, the President of the EU Council represents the EU at international level, along with the High Representative (i.e. the person charged with Foreign Affairs/Security Policy). There's a good post by Scofflaw on the site somewhere on the role of the President; there really is no power attached to it.

The second type of presidency is the rotating Presidency of the Council (of Ministers). This is more or less the same position as exists today, but it has no input in foreign affairs, or the tasks carried out by the main President.

Are you saying both would actually exist at same time?

that would answer the issue alright

There is much confusion over the two Councils in the EU.

One is the European Council. This is a meeting of the heads of state or government of the EU 27. It has no direct legislative role asfaik. This is the council to which the new presidency will apply.

The other is the Council of the European Union, which share legislative power with the parliament. This council will still be subject to the rotating presidency.

turgon wrote: »
    There is much confusion over the two Councils in the EU.

One is the European Council. This is a meeting of the heads of state or government of the EU 27. It has no direct legislative role asfaik. This is the council to which the new presidency will apply.

The other is the Council of the European Union, which share legislative power with the parliament. This council will still be subject to the rotating presidency.

Ok that answers my query alright thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

turgon wrote: »
    I think one of the problems is the "we" attitude that people have towards all things EU.

pesky human nature ;)

i never stated it would have power - but i am curious if we would ever head it again

thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Riskymove wrote: »
    Are you saying both would actually exist at same time?

that would answer the issue alright

Yep, they both exist at the same time. When Ireland has the rotating presidency of the Council, each particular Irish minster 'chairs' the appropriate meeting with all the other ministers of state (e.g. our Minister for Agriculture chairs, say, a CAP meeting with all the other Agriculture Ministers).

• Advertisement

To be honest, it's a bit like asking if Sligo will ever have the Ceann Comhairle.

It's a question that can't really be answered. If the right person for the job comes from Sligo at any given election, then yes, otherwise no.

It's a racing certainty that the right person for the job will come from Ireland, at some point in the future, but it doesn't really make a difference.

Ultimately the answer to the question is mere trivia.

i see your point

but having the presidency cant be bad thing - i fairness

i see your point

but having the presidency cant be bad thing - i fairness

Or a good thing.

It just... exists. :)

how often does the council of ministers hold discussions?

it would probaly depend on need - but on average

potayto potahto

how often does the council of ministers hold discussions?

it would probaly depend on need - but on average

It depends on which council, there are 9 of them (each consisting of the appropriate ministers from each country):

* General Affairs and External Relations (GAERC): The most important of the formations, GAERC is composed of ministers for foreign affairs. Since June 2002 it has held separate meetings on general affairs and external relations. At its sessions on External Relations, under the context of the Common Foreign and Security Policy, the High Representative for Common Foreign and Security Policy takes part. It also coordinates preparation for and follow–up to meetings of the European Council. It includes the ESDP and development cooperation.
    * Economic and Financial Affairs (Ecofin): Composed of economics and finance ministers of the member states. It includes budgetary and eurozone matters via an informal group composed only of eurozone member ministers.[26]
    * Agriculture and Fisheries: One of the oldest configurations, this brings together once a month the ministers for agriculture and fisheries, and the commissioners responsible for agriculture, fisheries, food safety, veterinary questions and public health matters.
    * Justice and Home Affairs Council (JHA): This configuration brings together Justice ministers and Interior Ministers of the Member States. Includes civil protection.
    * Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council (EPSCO): Composed of employment, social protection, consumer protection, health and equal opportunities ministers.
    * Competitiveness: Created in June 2002 through the merging of three previous configurations (Internal Market, Industry and Research). Depending on the items on the agenda, this formation is composed of ministers responsible for areas such as European affairs, industry, tourism and scientific research.
    * Transport, Telecommunications and Energy: Created in June 2002, through the merging of three policies under one configuration, and with a composition varying according to the specific items on its agenda. This formation meets approximately once every two months.
    * Environment: Composed of environment ministers, who meet about four times a year.
    * Education, Youth and Culture (EYC): Composed of education, culture, youth and communications ministers, who meet around three or four times a year. Includes audiovisual issues.

That's a copy/paste from wikipedia, you can see that Agriculture & Fisheries meets once a month, Transport, Telecommunications and Energy meets about once every two months.

I'm not sure about the rest, as and when they need to maybe?

I suppose given that the EU is one of the places where being President can sometimes mean little or nothing in terms of power, people find it hard to admit that a German would be as good as an Irishman.

I would imagine the president would be decided on merit. If one Irish PM who helped the EU a lot (such as Bertie Ahern) and wasnt wrangled in controversy (no chance for Ahern) then they would be elected.

I would imagine the EU has gotten over the base nationalistic attitudes and would think a lot more of actual merit.

Yes people need to disabuse themselves of this notion that there's some nod or wink method of gaining from a commissioner or council president being Irish.

There really isn't, not even in a 'well it can't be bad ;)' way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's a certainty. Do you think we would give the job to a non-European?

ah ya i forgot we are on boards.eu :pac::):o:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement