Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fund college??

Options
  • 18-06-2009 2:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm 25, have just finished a one year foundation course in Ballyfermot - got a full grant last year, so expect to get another one this year. In september I'm starting my four year degree course in NCAD.

I had applied to the BOI millenium scholars, but rung them up today and was told that anyone shortlisted was contacted weeks ago, and that letters of rejection would be sent out next week.

I'm a bit stressed now - my guidance councellor was sure I would recieve something from BOI, so although I knew there was a chance I wouldn't get it, I must have actually been kinda relying on it. Silly.

I suppose this is the crux of my (and others I'm sure) problem - how can I support myself for the next four years?

I'm single, rent in Dublin, can't get support from my family, have no job. Had to give up the call centre job I did have a few weeks ago because I wasn't earning enough to pay rent. Moved back in with my Mam in Mayo, but can't get a job here, and can't get dole coz I gave up my old job. In september I'll have to move back to Dublin, get a room somewhere... But I'm so scared! I'll get the maintenance grant, but thats only 3,400... What if I can't get a Part time job?

Is there any ANY other way of applying for substanance income? Or will I have to just bite the bullet and get a loan? Not sure if I'll get a loan as I have no job or savings. Although 10 grand for the next four years... How will I ever pay off 40,000?

Feel like I'm trapped.:(

Thanks for any imput :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

One ray of light for you, apply for the top up grant by the sounds of things you would be a shoe in to get it. You apply for it the same way and to the same local authority as the maintenance grant

hope this helps :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭eleven

Hi GAAman, thanks for replying.

Do you think I would be eligble for a top up grant, as I'm not in reciept of a social welfare payment? Or do you think they'd bend the rules a bit?

I suppose no harm in trying anyway!

I wish they had a student loan system like they do in the UK, where you pay back your loan through tax as soon as you start earning enough money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

hi there

Is there anything available to you in the line of work?

What about child minding? Have you any aunts/uncles, relatives who could do with a child minder at the weekends?
    1. It will earn you some cash
    2. keep you out of the bars on a saturday night - saving you money
    3. give you some time to study - increase your grade

Are you in the position to give any grinds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I wish the student loan system worked for me too ( i would have been eligible if i lived here three years before starting studying :(

But to answer your question i wasnt on any social welfare payments and i got the top up, i, as long as the income doesnt hit over a certain amount check the page here it is near the bottom of the page

Keep at them for it i swear to God, they told me i wasnt eligible for anything, then after months of back and forths (i applied in August and got the feckin thing in February :rolleyes:) i finally got the grant alone then after a few more months of it got the top up

Persistence is the key they might even give you the money to shut you up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 readthecontract

Thanks GAAman and good luck!

Advertisement