Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shared host i can use for social network start?

• 18-06-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm planning with my team to develop social network project, so it is time to choose web hosting company. My project will run on PHP/Mysql, using ajax.
    Share your thoughts about what host must have at speed and uptime. Found Host1Plus - maybe anyone knows about this hosting? Please do not offer hostgator, bluehost, dreamhost - I and my friends already used them - they are very old, fully of clients and servers are slowly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

we can't discuss hosting, but I can safely say that looking for shared hosting for a social network site is a bad bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Before this thread gets closed ....

You can't run a social network site on shared hosting.. unless you've only got a tiny number of users.

It simply won't work / scale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭corkie

blacknight wrote: »
    Before this thread gets closed ....

You can't run a social network site on shared hosting.. unless you've only got a tiny number of users.

It simply won't work / scale

Is it okay to test one, I running elgg on shared hosting at the moment. I use it mainly for sharing bookmarks and maybe collaborating with friends on a joint documents?

Regards,
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I have no problem leaving this thread open to discuss the merits of shared vs other hosting solutions, but no recommendations or queries regarding individual hosts please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Not goin into any specifics re hosting companies.

Im also interested in getting a few elgg sites going cause iv a few hopefully niche ideas and was thinking about the dedicated hosting. How many gigs and what bandwidth are you looking at for say max ~2000 users? Im not really up on my server knowledge so this is probably not right but could you have a few sites on a dedicated server or is it limited to one site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭corkie

to skelliser just wondering what you think of the elgg platform?

And why are looking at multiple installs, wouldn't it just be easier to run/maintain one as a community resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I just been reading up on elgg, havent jumped into it yet and i have four social networking ideas in mind, thats why im looking at multiple installs

Advertisement