Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basics - Weights

Options
  • 18-06-2009 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All,

Firstly about me - I had knee surgery there about 5 weeks ago and havent been able to train with any oimpact on my knee in the few months prior to the op. I had torn my knee tendon and in the time i havent been exercising i have put on about a stone and a half and im looking to get back into shape nw, although im not quite at the stage where I can do squats etc or have much weight on my knee, I plan on getting there, so heres my post.

I have read so many posts about weight loss, toning up and general strength etc that all say the same thing - start lifting weights. I just want to know for the average joe like myself, what are the basic routines you should be doing?

I was in the gym this morning and there's so many muscle specific machines there that I didnt know where to start. And then theres the free weights.....anytime i go in im surrounded by Dolph Lungren and Van Damme look-a-likes that seem to have themselves on a timer flyin around the place I get brain freeze and head for the bench in the corner with a barbell and leave within 5 mins.

Could anyone describe a basic weightlifting routine designed to help with weightloss and where to start?

Thanks for your help,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Start really basic with machine weights, chest press, lat pulls, shoulder press and when your knee's are better look at leg exercises, when you get more used to it and confident satrt doing the dumbell versions of these exercises or similar! dont let others put you off as there only interested in there own workouts and not you.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

With a bad knee you are limited, but you could work your upper body pretty well

Maybe something like

Bench Press (dumbells)
    Military press
    Single Arm Rows (both arms obv)
    Flys
    Latteral raise
    Lat pulldown

Aim for 3* 8 with the weight just heavy enough to fail on the 8th rep of the 3rd set.
    Good compound exercises - great for leaning out

When your knee gets better you can start squatting and deadlifting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

*Ahem* leaning out ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

The_Devil wrote: »
    *Ahem* leaning out ?:confused:

Leaning out is basically the same as being toned. Having defined arms etc.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html has a description and video of almost every exercise around. Take a look on there if you need help with any of the ones ragg posted.

The words "tone up" make me want to gouge my eyes out -
    "Oh I'm not fat, I jsut need to tone up a bit" :confused: :rolleyes:

The aim is to increase your lean body weight - and decreas your fat - not to "tone"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

ragg wrote: »
    The words "tone up" make me want to gouge my eyes out -
    "Oh I'm not fat, I jsut need to tone up a bit" :confused: :rolleyes:

The aim is to increase your lean body weight - and decreas your fat - not to "tone"

I'm not fat, I just need to tone up a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm not fat, I just need to tone up a bit!

Same here, through work commitments I took my eye off the ball and put on a bit of flab, now I need to tone up also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    Start really basic with machine weights, chest press, lat pulls, shoulder press and when your knee's are better look at leg exercises, when you get more used to it and confident satrt doing the dumbell versions of these exercises or similar! dont let others put you off as there only interested in there own workouts and not you.

What Paul said, and if you can find someone to explain circuit weight training to you your onto a winner.

Unfortunetly its hard to both find a gym with an effect weight circuit section in place and a personal trainer who understands fully how one should be instructed re. circuit weight training.

As for training around bigger lads, like Cowzer said, they're more interested in their own training and most likely won't notice you at all.

I used to be pretty hardcore and never took a blind bit of notice to anyone training around me, you'll be grand.

Hope you have a very speedy recovery.

Do you not think he'd be better off starting with free weights?
    personally I think he will make better gains and get an overall better workout using dumbells and bar bells & focusing on compound work.

I know the machines are inviting to a beginner - but surely its better to do things right from the get go.

I know when I started training I learned all the wrong things and I found it hard to unlearn it.

OP can you not get a program set up by the instructors? Or pay a visit to a personal trainer for a while to get "hooked" up? Once you get a decent programe, with the exception of the compounds that need a bit more work, you can learn most things from GOOD videos on youtube. You can spot these once you know a bit about the exercises yourself.

Will you ever be able to squat/deadlift or clean and press? They are incredible exercises...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

I think i may get a routine drawn up for me and see how it goes, in reagards to squats/deadlifts etc im not sure...i was told no impact whatsoever for the next 3 months including jogging and rowing:confused:

at the moment im in the pool about 4 days a week and then the crosstrainer on a light resistance. I need to build up my quads and hamstrings due to muscle loss so at the moment im doing exercises given to me by my physio...rubber band, lunges, squats so its early days at the moment. Hopefully it should hold up but it could be around september before i can do things properly

Advertisement