Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone operator: Possible breach of Data Protection act??

Options
  • 18-06-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

:mad:Ok well the story is this lads.

This morning my phone began to display inactive sim. I paid no attention to this as I was in a rush, later in the afternoon, I had a missed call on my office phone from my mobile number.

After much confusion I began to cop what had gone on. I rang my current mobile phone provider who confirmed that my mobile number was ported to a different mobile network this morning.

Basically someone had hijacked my number.

This person then began making phonecalls and sending texts with my number showing for all of them.

This is surely a major f**k up on the second mobile operators behalf. How could they possibly port over a number without fully confirm it was the account holder. All they would have had to done is ring the number in question to confirm I wanted to switch. I know for a fact it was a girl who did it so that makes it even more ridiculous (as im male). If this was in my old customer care job id be fired without a doubt.

The issue of who did it (I know who did it) is with the guards so they're dealing with that end.

Any advise on how exactly to proceed with vodafone. Ill be ringing to speak to a supervisor this evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Vodafone current operator or the operator who ported your number to their network?

Are you sure this is a malicous attempt by someone or could it have been a digit entered wrong by an operator agent?

Eitherway, it should be easy for your current operator to reverse the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Vodafone are the "new" operator who ported the number.

110% sure it was a malicous attempt as the person who did it then began to make prank phonecalls.

As well as the fact that it needs to be reversed, ill be seeking an apology or some sort of compensation for such a f*ck up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

When I bought a gift of a pink U600 for a family member in o2, I was told they had to come back with their vodafone phone so they could ring it and then sign some form.

Check with Vodafone do they ask you to sign a form for porting so the Garda can get a copy for any case you might have against that girl in the future.

Must do that!

Comreg are now also on the matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I thought they needed the SIM card number to port someone over, which would require access to the card itself.

Anyway, since it's done, get on to Vodafone and ask them for the proof that you ported over to them. They obviously won't have this, and that's all the proof you need that they f**ked up. Then, got to your old operator and port back, or tell Vodafone to reverse their mistake.

Make sure you're not out of pocket for any of this, and if necessary, make Vodafone pay for your time and hardship (an unlocked N95 perhaps :) ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Seems Vodafone don't bother checking who ports the number over. I switched from Meteor to Vodafone about 3 weeks ago, keeping my number. Walked into the Vodafone store, requested the port, was asked my mobile phone number and then handed a new Vodafone SIM card. That was it. Wasn't asked anything else and the guy on the till never saw my handset or did any sort of check that I actually owned that number. Was ported over half an hour later...

jor el wrote: »
    Make sure you're not out of pocket for any of this, and if necessary, make Vodafone pay for your time and hardship (an unlocked N95 perhaps :) ).

Now theres good thinking!!

Going to ring in a few minutes. will keep ye updated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This seems to be the case with O2 too. I sent my brother in with a folder of paperwork and ID when he wanted to port fron vodafone to O2 but he needed nothing.

Seems like they are leaving it up to the customer to claim ownership of the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

When i ported there a while back the agent rank my phone to make sure i had the number. Seems strange that itd be so easy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

timmywex wrote: »
    When i ported there a while back the agent rank my phone to make sure i had the number. Seems strange that itd be so easy

When I ported from Vodafone to O2 a few months back the guy in the shop rang my number but didnt ask for any other type of id.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

when i ported from vodafone to meteor during the free any network texts for life offer awhile back, i wasnt asked for id and they didnt check the number. Just took my word and changed it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jor el wrote: »
    I thought they needed the SIM card number to port someone over, which would require access to the card itself.

They don't

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How did the person get your work number and other people numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Kensington wrote: »
    Seems Vodafone don't bother checking who ports the number over. I switched from Meteor to Vodafone about 3 weeks ago, keeping my number. Walked into the Vodafone store, requested the port, was asked my mobile phone number and then handed a new Vodafone SIM card. That was it. Wasn't asked anything else and the guy on the till never saw my handset or did any sort of check that I actually owned that number. Was ported over half an hour later...
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This seems to be the case with O2 too. I sent my brother in with a folder of paperwork and ID when he wanted to port fron vodafone to O2 but he needed nothing.

Seems like they are leaving it up to the customer to claim ownership of the number.

times are hard for the poor phone companies now they will soon be paying people to port their ex partners and friends numbers:D they will do anything for a quick buck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

in relation to the question of the possible breach of data protection act...dont think there is a case to answer...they havent given out your data to anybody....so long as they followed their procedures for porting a number over then they are ok (i'm guessing their requirements are not very stringent ..just ask them).

There is a case for fraud & impersonating somebody for the person who ported over your number and the gardai should (but probably wont) take it very seriously...especially seeing as you seem to know the person who did it (i'm guessing an ex girlf)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Data Protection legislation applies to personal data - a telephone number is not personal data

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

It's simply a case of human error, wrong number typed in when they were porting.

This happens fairly often with prepay, with all networks due to a digit being typed incorrectly. With the thousands of numbers porting between networks each week a small % of errors are unfortunately going to occur.

You will certainly get an apology, you will not get a €500 SIM free N95 (or any phone) and nobody will get the sack, the mistake will be pointed out to the staff member to prevent it happening in the future!

A reverse-port can be done in minutes to rectify the problem when spotted. Its a nuisance if it happens to you but hardly a breach of data protection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

wmpdd3 wrote: »

When I went to port from Three to O2, O2 wanted to see a bill from Three as well as my passport and another utility bill to confirm address. I guess it's different if you're porting to a billpay account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    in relation to the question of the possible breach of data protection act...dont think there is a case to answer...they havent given out your data to anybody....so long as they followed their procedures for porting a number over then they are ok (i'm guessing their requirements are not very stringent ..just ask them).

There is a case for fraud & impersonating somebody for the person who ported over your number and the gardai should (but probably wont) take it very seriously...especially seeing as you seem to know the person who did it (i'm guessing an ex girlf)

Guards are waiting on vodafone to tell them which shop it was done in to get the cctv to prove beyond doubt it is who i say it is.
    philcsl wrote: »
    It's simply a case of human error, wrong number typed in when they were porting.

This happens fairly often with prepay, with all networks due to a digit being typed incorrectly. With the thousands of numbers porting between networks each week a small % of errors are unfortunately going to occur.

You will certainly get an apology, you will not get a €500 SIM free N95 (or any phone) and nobody will get the sack, the mistake will be pointed out to the staff member to prevent it happening in the future!

A reverse-port can be done in minutes to rectify the problem when spotted. Its a nuisance if it happens to you but hardly a breach of data protection...

You clearly didnt read my post properly. it wasnt simply a case of human error. it was done malicously. I'm not guessing here, I know this for a fact.

To put it politely this isnt a slight mistake as your post would insinuate, this is some lazy bastard who was too retarded to cop that he was changing a man's account for a woman.

What "can be done in minutes to rectify the problem", still has not been done. 8.15 thursday morning is when this was done. This is now my 5th day without the phone up and running. Despite numerous calls to both vodafone and meteor I have hit block walls. I have been fobbed off numerous times. Just to give you a rough idea.

Thursday: Meteor rep told me it MIGHT be done within the day, but will 110% be done by the next day. Fair enough.

Friday: First phone call, " i cant get through to tech support, ring back later".
    Second phone call, 1pm. Rep speaks with tech support/porting who confirm it will be done within the hour.
    4pm, Phone not working, rep tells me they have spoken to porting again who advise that it will be 24hrs that there is a technical fault. Refuse to put any supervisor on the phone. I spoke with someone in comreg. Comreg contacted somebody senior in meteor. 4.30pm my return phonecall from comreg to tell me there was no technical fault and that this answer is regularly given when they cannot get through to the tech team. Senior member will keep an eye and it should be done b 8pm this evening.

SATURDAY PHONE STILL NOT WORKING. Ring meteor approx 4.30pm, Rep tells me that reversal was only put through at 5pm the previous evening, because it takes 24hrs this ran into the weekend. "sorry, its going to be monday." Asked to speak to a supervisor, Im told supervisor will call me back before 6pm.
    8.30pm, no call back, rep tells me it will tomorrow before I get a callback.

SUNDAY NO PHONE, NO CALLBACK.

MONDAY NO PHONE (yet)

On top of this vodafone told me on thursday they would be back to me friday with which shop/idiot was responsible and how they would compensate me. Monday, still heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Guards are waiting on vodafone to tell them which shop it was done in to get the cctv to prove beyond doubt it is who i say it is.

You clearly didnt read my post properly. it wasnt simply a case of human error. it was done malicously. I'm not guessing here, I know this for a fact.

To put it politely this isnt a slight mistake as your post would insinuate, this is some lazy bastard who was too retarded to cop that he was changing a man's account for a woman.

What "can be done in minutes to rectify the problem", still has not been done. 8.15 thursday morning is when this was done. This is now my 5th day without the phone up and running. Despite numerous calls to both vodafone and meteor I have hit block walls. I have been fobbed off numerous times. Just to give you a rough idea.

Thursday: Meteor rep told me it MIGHT be done within the day, but will 110% be done by the next day. Fair enough.

Friday: First phone call, " i cant get through to tech support, ring back later".
    Second phone call, 1pm. Rep speaks with tech support/porting who confirm it will be done within the hour.
    4pm, Phone not working, rep tells me they have spoken to porting again who advise that it will be 24hrs that there is a technical fault. Refuse to put any supervisor on the phone. I spoke with someone in comreg. Comreg contacted somebody senior in meteor. 4.30pm my return phonecall from comreg to tell me there was no technical fault and that this answer is regularly given when they cannot get through to the tech team. Senior member will keep an eye and it should be done b 8pm this evening.

SATURDAY PHONE STILL NOT WORKING. Ring meteor approx 4.30pm, Rep tells me that reversal was only put through at 5pm the previous evening, because it takes 24hrs this ran into the weekend. "sorry, its going to be monday." Asked to speak to a supervisor, Im told supervisor will call me back before 6pm.
    8.30pm, no call back, rep tells me it will tomorrow before I get a callback.

SUNDAY NO PHONE, NO CALLBACK.

MONDAY NO PHONE (yet)

On top of this vodafone told me on thursday they would be back to me friday with which shop/idiot was responsible and how they would compensate me. Monday, still heard nothing.

Meteor are horrendous at ringing customers back. Vodafone aren't much better. I know you're having terrible hassle and its taking up alot of your time but I' ring vodafone again and see what the story is, its easier get an answer out of them than it is to get one from Meteor though you shouldn't give up all the same!

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Meteor are horrendous at ringing customers back. Vodafone aren't much better. I know you're having terrible hassle and its taking up alot of your time but I' ring vodafone again and see what the story is, its easier get an answer out of them than it is to get one from Meteor though you shouldn't give up all the same!

Rang meteor there at lunch. Rep advised "i have spoken with the tech team and they have advised it simply says in progress, they hope to have it done by 5.30". Note that if its not done at 5.30 I will ring back and they do coincidentally finish at half 5, not that Id ever get to talk to them anyway.

Vodafone supervisor was due to call me back again today, nothing yet. So ill hassle them after work.

Without doubt the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Porting closes at half five so if its not done by then you'll be waiting until tomorrow again. Its shocking to tell the truth. Vodafone should at least tell you where it was put through(I pray it wasn't me! ah no but it really should've been rang first anyway) Meteor should give you an unlock code so you can use something while you get this mess sorted.

I honestly cannot comprehend how this situation is still going on like. Fair enough if it was resolved the same/next day.

Im now willing to take bets on when it will be back up and running, as I'd be very surprised if it was back up today.

Are you working with vodafone?

I honestly cannot comprehend how this situation is still going on like. Fair enough if it was resolved the same/next day.

Im now willing to take bets on when it will be back up and running, as I'd be very surprised if it was back up today.

Are you working with vodafone?

Work in an agents but have the most faith in vodafone solving this than Meteor in all honesty. I'd be on the phone to vodafone, get a supervisor and dont get off the phone until they actually tell you where it was processed and if they dont explain that you'll take legal action over it

If it was you, I'll have your blood kind sir :D

If it was you, I'll have your blood kind sir :D

I confirm numbers first so no it wasn't me but I'd have the persons guts for garters that actually did put it through. Is someone using your number or was it just moved over?

The person took it and used it for the day, until I finally got through to someone in vodafone with the common sense to block outgoing calls on it.

Another issue which this gives rise to is anyone who would have text my phone with personal info has now given it to this person. Possibly "sensitive data"

• Advertisement

The person took it and used it for the day, until I finally got through to someone in vodafone with the common sense to block outgoing calls on it.

Another issue which this gives rise to is anyone who would have text my phone with personal info has now given it to this person. Possibly "sensitive data"

GRRRR! This maddens me. Best of luck getting moved back, I can get the feeling this hasn't come near an end, good sir I wish you the best of luck in moving to wherever you want and hopefully you'll get good compensation!

Advertisement