Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Wrestling vs Commercials

• 18-06-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Have to say I'm getting really tired of WWE programming at the moment and I'm not talking about their **** story lines either. The amount of commercial breaks, live tour advertisements and replays from the week before are not even funny - its ridiculous. I would guess if you stripped out all of the above then RAW and Smackdown would have about 50-60 minutes of actual wrestling in the shows. I'm on the verge of tuning out and I even have Sky + to fast forward with - just so sick of it - any one else feel the same??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Raw if you watch it live in particular has a rediculous amount of commercials as they take one everytime the americans would but tbh if you have sky plus youll be spending less time on commercials than with a usual tv show so id just sky plus it if its really that annoying for you.

btw the next Raw will have no commercials, dunno yet if Sky will air it the same way but atleast it will have far far less than usual.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ad breaks on USA TV stations are regular and more frequent than in Ireland. While WWE are on networks owned by other companies they have no choice in how regular ad breaks are taken.

Recaps are used to let people know what happened earlier/last week for those who didn't see it or as reminder for people who did. I don't have a major problem with it.

When RAW is replayed and Smackdown is shown SKY/WWE insert a Match from the vault to take out some ads. Other ads that don't fit the UK schedule have promo packages built in.

I really think the availability of Sky Plus makes the number of commercial breaks on WWE shows (produced for american tv) issue insignificant..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Oasis44 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm getting really tired of WWE programming at the moment and I'm not talking about their **** story lines either. The amount of commercial breaks, live tour advertisements and replays from the week before are not even funny - its ridiculous. I would guess if you stripped out all of the above then RAW and Smackdown would have about 50-60 minutes of actual wrestling in the shows. I'm on the verge of tuning out and I even have Sky + to fast forward with - just so sick of it - any one else feel the same??

Nothing new for USA Network, even going back as far as Saturday Nights Main Event in 1985, and their shows were always riddled with advertisements. Just be thankful you don't get the US ads too, because some of the WWE and SNME discs i have still have them, and they're all for the same thing, if it's not for either cars, dodgy cologne that you'd find in a Wal*Mart for $5, Taco Bell, Wendys, BK, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, KFC, insert fast food sh*thole here.

We have it good guys, think back ten when you had to fast forward using a video player too! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Nothing new for USA Network, even going back as far as Saturday Nights Main Event in 1985, and their shows were always riddled with advertisements. Just be thankful you don't get the US ads too, because some of the WWE and SNME discs i have still have them, and they're all for the same thing, if it's not for either cars, dodgy cologne that you'd find in a Wal*Mart for $5, Taco Bell, Wendys, BK, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, KFC, insert fast food sh*thole here.

We have it good guys, think back ten when you had to fast forward using a video player too! ;)

A video player? You mean like Youtube?

I mean a VHS player. ;) Those things people used before DVD players to put in those big black boxes you got in covers at Xtra vis...

Erm, forget i said anything. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh yeah, those things. I still have a Backlash 2000 and King of the Ring 2001 videos somewhere at home.

Anyway, back on topic (and apologies for going off topic but I couldn't resist that Youtube joke), the recaps don't bother me too much. They're usually well edited so can really build up some of the current weeks matches. Ads on the other hand, I don't mind ads, so long as they aren't in the middle of the match. But as has been said, thats just the way they do things over there

Oh yeah, those things. I still have a Backlash 2000 and King of the Ring 2001 videos somewhere at home.

Anyway, back on topic (and apologies for going off topic but I couldn't resist that Youtube joke), the recaps don't bother me too much. They're usually well edited so can really build up some of the current weeks matches. Ads on the other hand, I don't mind ads, so long as they aren't in the middle of the match. But as has been said, thats just the way they do things over there

Good point, One I hadn't considered when I posted earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Christ I felt old reading that post :(

The ads are a pain in the arse when you're watching Raw live if you're in the states (was in New York last year and watched it in the hotel room), it's ads every 8 bloody minutes and they're all for fast food and video games to target the WWE young male audience, patronising shite altogether

orestes wrote: »
    Christ I felt old reading that post :(

You can't even begin to imagine how i felt! :(
    The ads are a pain in the arse when you're watching Raw live if you're in the states (was in New York last year and watched it in the hotel room), it's ads every 8 bloody minutes and they're all for fast food and video games to target the WWE young male audience, patronising shite altogether

So things haven't changed since 1988 then? On the SMNE's all the ads had Nintendo games in em too. The original Megaman!

Some good memories all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Oasis44 wrote: »

You're gonna love Raw next week in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

You can't even begin to imagine how i felt! :(

It made me feel old and I'm 17, the comment can't have been serious.

That was quick, you were only 16 about two weeks ago when that poll was conducted, belated happy birthday anyway!

Yeah, i'm guessing paddyirishman was extracting the urine with that comment, but it made me grin.
    RAW is going for two hours with no ads apparently next week. Still isn't enough to warrant my interest though.

That was quick, you were only 16 about two weeks ago when that poll was conducted, belated happy birthday anyway!

Thank you, it was last Tuesday. Whenever I watch Raw live it drives me to breaking point with the ads so it is quite a difference. That said I won't watch it live as I'll be watching Slammiversary (which reminds me...) live the night before so two nights in a row would be a no-no for me.

I got to a stage where i just went for downloads that removed all the ads. Now i'm at the point where i won't even waste my bandwidth on WWE anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

just found out some info from pwinsider
    The Smackdown and ECW brands are being sent to this Monday's Raw. WWE has postponed the scheduled house show in Valparaiso, Indiana to August 30th as creative needs talents from those brands at the "commercial free" edition of Raw in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
    the muti brand show are now back

The Smackdown and ECW brands are being sent to this Monday's Raw. WWE has postponed the scheduled house show in Valparaiso, Indiana to August 30th as creative needs talents from those brands at the "commercial free" edition of Raw in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Well they are only back as the roster depth on each brand is tight. They need the extra bodies. Commercial free RAW will have a novelty factor that will attract extra viewers. WWE need the best show possible on the night to get people to stay tuned in and tune in another night. Two hours is a long time to fill on network TV.

Will be back to normal the next week.

Thats just it, commercial free RAW will be able to probably fit two or three more matches in, plus add those who are either awol or injured. Extra bodies would definitely be in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Raw won't be commercial-free over here. It was a decision by the USA Network, nothing to do with WWE. So it'd be up to Sky to do the same thing over here, which I can't see them doing as there's literally no upside to it for them

Fozzy wrote: »
    Raw won't be commercial-free over here. It was a decision by the USA Network, nothing to do with WWE. So it'd be up to Sky to do the same thing over here, which I can't see them doing as there's literally no upside to it for them

They may do as it's after 1pm. It's no different to PPVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Thank you, it was last Tuesday.

Wait, hang on a fecking minute, Machismo Fan is only just turned 17?!

Ok, I know this is off topic, but it has to be said.

Machismo, you're one of the most mature and reasonable users on this forum (and that I have ever encountered on boards at all). Finding out you are so young honestly astonished me as you display a wisdom, understanding and patience beyond your years and so far removed from the stereotype of a teenager (particularly a teenage wrestling fan!) that it astounds me. I had respect for you as a poster before, but my respect for you has just increased massively. Users on here who are older in years (myself included) could learn a thing or two from you.

I tip my hat to you sir *tips hat*

• Advertisement

They may do as it's after 1pm. It's no different to PPVs.

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking about the live airing when I posted that for whatever reason. You could be right. But the repeats will definitely have ads. I wonder if they'll just cut all backstage segments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Donald is going for a commercial free Raw on Monday. Gonna be cool. tbh if they ever lost commercial revenue they would be in trouble. The networks need it. Have to say as a wrestling fan when the breaks are on I usually have my laptop beside me so it's not an issue. It doesn't bother me too much.

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking about the live airing when I posted that for whatever reason. You could be right. But the repeats will definitely have ads. I wonder if they'll just cut all backstage segments

The repeats will be butchered. They skip backstage segments on the repeats of the 3 hour shows to trim it down to 2 hours. (Or at least they did in 06/07)

DenMan wrote: »
    tbh if they ever lost commercial revenue they would be in trouble.

WWE make zero money from ads aired during Raw. They make their money from USA Network paying them in the region of $600,000 per episode, and the network receives the ad revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

WWE make zero money from ads aired during Raw. They make their money from USA Network paying them in the region of $600,000 per episode, and the network receives the ad revenue

Not the WWE, the networks.

DenMan wrote: »
    Not the WWE, the networks.

If Vince sticks on a couple of extra 3 hour shows, USA Network will reimburse themselves quite easily.

USA wouldn't agree to it if they didn't think they could make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

No faith in the Raw midcard Vince? :D
    The Bash needs to be hyped though ASAP so it does make sense getting the Smackdown guys on the show. In the 3 hour show the two best matches were from sports entertainers on the blue brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you know the "commercial free" Raw will be riddled with untrue trivia facts, superstar video packages, WWE movie trailers, DVD ads, live show announcements, Bash ppv hyping and other stuff like a normal episode so it wont be all that different

If Vince sticks on a couple of extra 3 hour shows, USA Network will reimburse themselves quite easily.

USA wouldn't agree to it if they didn't think they could make up for it.

I think it was USA networks idea to go commercial free. They want to get people watching usa now the nba finals are over. The more that watch in coming weeks the more revenue they will get for future commercials.

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    Wait, hang on a fecking minute, Machismo Fan is only just turned 17?!

Ok, I know this is off topic, but it has to be said.

Machismo, you're one of the most mature and reasonable users on this forum (and that I have ever encountered on boards at all). Finding out you are so young honestly astonished me as you display a wisdom, understanding and patience beyond your years and so far removed from the stereotype of a teenager (particularly a teenage wrestling fan!) that it astounds me. I had respect for you as a poster before, but my respect for you has just increased massively. Users on here who are older in years (myself included) could learn a thing or two from you.

I tip my hat to you sir *tips hat*

Why thank you, I do try.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I say the show this week will just be like last week, i downloaded last weeks 3 hour show and with out the ad breaks it was just over 2 hours long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It may be commercial free but advertisement free it will not be. It wouldn't surprise me if every segment was sponsored by somebody. Red Faction, that car parts company whose name escapes me, and Snickers to name but a few possibilities.
    The repeats will be butchered. They skip backstage segments on the repeats of the 3 hour shows to trim it down to 2 hours. (Or at least they did in 06/07)

The last 3 hour show just gone was three hours long on the Sky repeat.

dsmythy wrote: »
    It may be commercial free but advertisement free it will not be. It wouldn't surprise me if every segment was sponsored by somebody. Red Faction, that car parts company whose name escapes me, and Snickers to name but a few possibilities.

Nah, usually the announcers give a shout out to the sponsors, however they will probably will clog it up with promotion for merchandise, upcoming PPV's and tours.
    The last 3 hour show just gone was three hours long on the Sky repeat.

Fair enough, but they did go through a phase of butchering them. I remember during one of the Vince Loves Cock era shows, they chopped out a number of DX and Cryme Time segments.

Advertisement