Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote access to router

Options
  • 18-06-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

This may come out completely wrong as I'm not 100% sure about what I'm talking about...

Are there DSL modems out there that can allow remote access to your network based on a host name rather than IP? If I wanted to allow access to my home network from a friends house, could I get a dynamic dns host, set that up on his router, then allow access from that host on my own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Yea, you have it completely right.
    Lots of DSL routers support it and there are a few free services that provide the host.

I used dyndns.com in the past with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

are there any specific routers that do this? my Netgear only allows connection based on IP address as far I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

What model is the router?

I'm pretty sure some of the netgears used to do it.

If it's just a basic DSL modem (ie not a router, single network port and no wireless) then it probably wont have dynamic dns, but otherwise it may well do.

Advertisement