Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for short hike/run in Wicklow Mtns

Options
  • 18-06-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a list of short hike routes in Dublin / Wicklow mountains that can be done in runners and are less than ~2 hours / ~12km in length. The aim is to be able to run a good deal of them. (And ideally circular)

So far i have done:

Sugarloaf
    Crone - around Maulin on the new track
    Djouce - from carpark over Lough Tae
    Lough Dan to Kanturk and Scar, back to WW and back along road
    Numerous routes in Glendalough - White route is favourite; have managed it in 1h 25 mins now :) posted time is 3.5 hours

Also looking at:
    Kilmacanogue to Greystones over little sugar loaf
    Some variation of Kippure
    Camaderry - runners may not be suitable though

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The board walks around Glendalough?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Evil Phil wrote: »
    The board walks around Glendalough?

Have that above (under glendalough)

The biggest problem there though is there's little point going down at the weekend as it is just too busy these days, damn tourists :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Camaderry - runners may not be suitable though
    Camaderry would be fine with runners I reckon .. I've seen people running up there while I've been walking up .. it gets slightly rougher underfoot as you get higher, but should be OK I reckon.

I'd start by the Monastic Village and park by the river where the ice cream van / souvenir shop is .. walk a little bit up the road towards the Upper Lake and take the first track right which will bring you around the back of Camaderry along St. Kevins Way by the side of the Glendasan river. Less than a km along there there's a finger post for one of the Glendalough walks, can't remember which colour, there's a set of stepping stones there too. take a left up into the forest and follow the track until you get to a clearing where there's a track junction, take a right here and it will take you up to Camaderry itself.

From there you can turn back and head back down, but when you get to the track junction, for a bit of a different way back, take a right and this will take you down to the Upper Lake car park, and then you can head back to the start along the boardwalk along the Lower Lake that starts behind the toilets there.

Alternatively, but this might be a bit rougher, when you get to the saddle between the two Camaderry summits, take a right and pick up a small stream down to the tracks through the old mine workings to the Wicklow Gap road and pick up St Kevins Way back to Glendalough.

Other alternatives might be Scarr from Laragh (Back of St Kevins church) via Paddock Hill and back, or some of the many tracks on and around Trooperstown Hill, they're a lot less busy than Glendalough.

Personally, I'm out pretty much every Saturday, and even around Glendalough, it's not that busy at all once you get beyond the main tourist routes. Sunday is a different matter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alun wrote:
    I'd start by the Monastic Village and park by the river where the ice cream van / souvenir shop is .. walk a little bit up the road towards the Upper Lake and take the first track right which will bring you around the back of Camaderry along St. Kevins Way by the side of the Glendasan river. Less than a km along there there's a finger post for one of the Glendalough walks, can't remember which colour, there's a set of stepping stones there too. take a left up into the forest and follow the track until you get to a clearing where there's a track junction, take a right here and it will take you up to Camaderry itself.

Thanks, never would have thought to go that way. Last time I just parked in the upper car park and start up the hill directly opposite the car park gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If you try the imra site or the hill running thread within athletics / running / triathlon you are sure to get lots of options....

I do most of my running in south wicklow myself. The 'legs' of the imra Wicklow relay all offer good running options, either one way or out and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

It just occured to me today whilst out running that the obvious thing to suggest was to check the imra events as that lists lots of places and distances and has maps for most of those races which can be readily used for training.

I went for a long run today up Croaghanmoira mountain in south Wicklow. Pleased as punch to have done it. Met a bunch of walkers when I'd just ran down it. They were going to head up there via Ballinacor. This area is smashing for walking, running or cycling (MTBing in particular).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It just occured to me today whilst out running that the obvious thing to suggest was to check the imra events as that lists lots of places and distances and has maps for most of those races which can be readily used for training.

I went for a long run today up mountain in south Wicklow. Pleased as punch to have done it. Met a bunch of walkers when I'd just ran down it. They were going to head up there via Ballinacor. This area is smashing for walking, running or cycling (MTBing in particular).
    It's a nice ridge, but unfortunately marred by some access problems due to the rather belligerent landowner of the Ballinacor estate making a complete circuit difficult if not impossible. There's some evidence of quad bike activity around Croaghanmoira too.

Advertisement