Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

320d valuation question

• 18-06-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

in todays market what is the going rate on a 2002 bmw 320d, fsh, 2 owners, clean & no faults, 94k miles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Coupe of Saloon?

About 7-8k if the latter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

thanks, its a e46 saloon.

at 7-8k would that be considered a 'good buy' for a family diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mag wrote: »
    thanks, its a e46 saloon.

at 7-8k would that be considered a 'good buy' for a family diesel?

Well it depends on how quick you want to sell. If you really want to see what it's worth, go to the autotrader.co.uk etc., price up a similar spec'd one, ad on a few hundred for travels costs + the VRT.

Edit: My bad, thought you were selling.

IMO, do the above still, see what you can you can and for what money. Bring a mechanic with you, make sure for no black smoke, and the turbo is functioning. Turbo failure on the 320d is a common fault.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    A diesel Mondeo would be a better choice, more kit and most importantly for a family car more room.

the 320 is fine in terms of size for us. i do realise the mondeo is very highly regarded but personally im not fond of them lookswise at all.
    Well it depends on how quick you want to sell. If you really want to see what it's worth, go to the autotrader.co.uk etc., price up a similar spec'd one, ad on a few hundred for travels costs + the VRT.

Edit: My bad, thought you were selling.

IMO, do the above still, see what you can you can and for what money. Bring a mechanic with you, make sure for no black smoke, and the turbo is functioning. Turbo failure on the 320d is a common fault.

cheers, have checked the uk and avg looks about 7k+ inc travel, vrt, etc for a similar model.

we need to trade against the car too so complicates it in terms of evaluating against the uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

You'd get a Citroen C5 for a whole lot cheaper than the BMW, more space and more comftable too, IMO of course :P

• Advertisement

You'd get a Citroen C5 for a whole lot cheaper than the BMW, more space and more comftable too, IMO of course :P

the new c5 is a lovely looking car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I would love one of these but couldn't risk the turbo failure. Check if its had its turbo replaced yet...

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I would love one of these but couldn't risk the turbo failure. Check if its had its turbo replaced yet...

will do. is there a average mileage where the turbos are replaced, like timing belts on a petrol, or does it just happen if theres problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Its generally considered to be a weakness on these cars... whole websites dedicated to the problem if you google it. Affects mostly models from 2001 - August 2003 if I recall correctly.

the seller (reputable garage) will offer a 6 month warranty which covers the turbo. is it possible to get a 3rd party warranty beyond that & are they worth it if available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I bought one back in February very similar and i paid €8k, but I would make sure the turbo is replaced as the guy I bought it off gave me all the receipts and it cost him €2k. I never been happier since I got mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

The only bad thing I would say is if its for a family there isnt a whole lot of boot space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

rocknchef wrote: »
    The only bad thing I would say is if its for a family there isnt a whole lot of boot space
    Thats why i suggested something like a C5, i never really associate 3 series BMW's with 'family car'

Advertisement