Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want my broadband back !!!

Options
  • 18-06-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I've had the eircom 7meg package for the last 12 months.

It's been flawless until about 2-3 weeks age. The speed has been going down as low as .5 meg and back up to 7 and anywhere in between.
    I'm blue in the face ringing eircom trying to get it sorted.
    I've had the line re-checked and reset the router as advised by eircom.

According to one of the eircom people the exchange is over subscribed , .He said the engineers have it on a list of exchanges to be upgraded and this could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 months to be done.:mad:

They've lowered my speed to 5 meg to see if it makes any difference.
    Apparently there has been a lot of other people ringing them up to complain as well.

The exchange is Castlebellingham , Co. Louth

Below is a result from speedtest.net from 30 mins ago, in kb/ps
    498571901.png
    So much for having a download speed of 7168 kbps :mad:
    This is the worst I've seen it.

Here are two better results,from 10 mins ago. One in kb/ps and one in Mb/ps

498592176.png

498593052.png

Router Stats:

Downstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)5120
    SN Margin (dB)23.40
    Line Attenuation (dB)8.50
    CRC Errors0

Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)384
    SN Margin (dB)22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)4.50
    CRC Errors0

Has anybody any ideas how I can get this sorted ?
    What are my rights regarding a loss of service ?

Any help would be welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 griffzino

I made the switch from 3 meg to 7 meg last week and my speeds dropped to 0.3 of a meg and my ping went from 14 ms to 54 ms to google.com.

In early morning the broadband works fine, but from 8 on it messes up.

Similiar story to you.

I'm on the Clonakilty exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

griffzino wrote: »
    I made the switch from 3 meg to 7 meg last week and my speeds dropped to 0.3 of a meg and my ping went from 14 ms to 54 ms to google.com.

In early morning the broadband works fine, but from 8 on it messes up.

Similiar story to you.

I'm on the Clonakilty exchange

If I use the pc before 9am, it's fine for me as well. After 9am, it's nearly unusable.
    I've been trying to do an online course for the last while - It's been nearly impossible .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

498628128.png

Mine has been terrible all day. I'm in Castlebar and I'm supposed to have 2mb.

LOOK AT THE PING! :O :O :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Not quite as bad but I'm on 24 meg and this is what I'm getting (at least it's usable though I suppose)

498724927.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

I'm in Dundalk with Eircom on 7MB package...Seems fine here all day.
    498751756.png

And fine to London also...

498754542.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Hi ,

I've had the eircom 7meg package for the last 12 months.

It's been flawless until about 2-3 weeks age. The speed has been going down as low as .5 meg and back up to 7 and anywhere in between.
    I'm blue in the face ringing eircom trying to get it sorted.
    I've had the line re-checked and reset the router as advised by eircom.

According to one of the eircom people the exchange is over subscribed , .He said the engineers have it on a list of exchanges to be upgraded and this could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 months to be done.:mad:

Any help would be welcomed.

It looks as if the exchange is suffering from severe congestion. This seems to surface here every few months with different exchanges around the country - Eircom eventually supply extra capacity and everyone lives happily ever after but in the mean time you are in a lousy position.

Your line stats seem excellent. It seems to me that your only option is to make a formal complaint to Comreg (or threaten Eircom that you will go somewhere else but other dsl isps are likely to be similarly affected.)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

I had the exact same problem - on blanch exchange.

Was onto them for approx two months straight.

Had engineer out, replaced modem.

Rang up and told them it wasnt working.

Knocked me down to 1mb

Rang up and told them it wasnt working.

Rang to cancel my account, system issues. Said they would do it later.

Rang a week later. Account up and running with no call logged for it to be cancelled.

Went crazy. Account cancelled.

All in all I would say approx 20 calls.

IBB fixed wireless is way better.

I hate Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies.
    So, it seems to happen quite regularly, at different locations.
    How are Eircom allowed to let this happen on such a regular basis ? Is it even worth complaining to Comreg ?

Whet really bugs the hell out of me is that every time I ring Eircom , whover answers the call has absulutely no idea when the exchange will be fixed/upgraded. When I ask if there is someone who can tell me , the answer is " Nobody in Eircom has this information to hand " :confused:.

Apperently, the give a list of exchanges to be worked on to a contractor and give them up to a year to work their way through it, without needing the contractor to give them an estimated completion date for each exchange :confused:.

Come on, surely somebody in a modern communications company can ring the contractors/engineers and find out what they're doing ?

Am I being unreasonabe, as a paying customer, by wanting to know when I'll have my communication service restored, which I am paying through the nose for?

Speeds are still going up and down like a yoyo.
    500694260.png

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

you are on a 24:1 or 48:1 contention.

Calculate it out, all they HAVE to supply is 300 kbit at 24:1 or 150 kbit at 48:1 to fulfill their contract on a 7 mbit connection.

Take it from there. If they supply that, Comreg can't do anything because Eircom doesn't violate the contract.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Eircom are w@nkers, have been since all this crap started last year with the slow speeds for me, so i left.

Stupid customer service act like retards when you call them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement