Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Global warming theories are a joke

• 18-06-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Aa far as im concerned we won't be able to tell if we have impacted the earth's climate/atmosphere for at least a few thousand more years. In the past the world has dramatically cooled and warmed over the space of hundreds of years.

The lack of sun spots seems to be putting a huge dent in earths warming. Sun spots that were overly active for the past 15 years and possibly caused the recent warming we have had. The fact is we don't know so it is pointless flying in one direction when you don't know where you are or where you are going.

The best scientists said 30 years ago we were heading for an ice age, the best scientists nowdays say we are heading for a warm age. The truth is we won't know for hundreds of years because our understanding of climate is that of an infact. We have no clue about what causes the El Nino .

Global warming is a fad and the crazy resources that have been devoted to it should be devoted to other more important sciences. If we threw a few hundred billion towards Nuclear Fusion we'd sort out all the current problems currently aflicting it , instead we waste money on crap such as wind power which is completely unrealible at best.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

I agree, its a load of sh111111111111te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Aa far as im concerned ....

That's where I stopped reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Global warming was a huge smoke screen to hide the real dangers of chemical dumping. They appeased the eco warriors and sent them off on a crusade against an essential gas that we have little effect on.

Toxic waste and chemical dumping into our rivers and oceans are having a much worse effect on the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Sunspots were at their highest until recently and after they dropped to pretty much zero compared to previous times the earth has begun to cool
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3869753.stm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-missing-sunspots-is-this-the-big-chill-1674630.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

An Irish man, an English man and a Global Warming walk into a bar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I was going to write a serious reply to this thread but I couldn't really be orsed.

*sits back & chomps on popcorn instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Smart Bug wrote: »
    I was going to write a serious reply to this thread but I couldn't really be orsed.

Is it fresh popcorn? Not from concentrate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Looking after the environment and buying Toyota Prius is all good and well when there is money to throw around.

Nobody cares anymore?

Do you think the government is still actually going to force us to change our lightbulbs any time soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe the causes are mostly bullsh!t but the outcome will be the same whether it's a natural occurrence or caused by man.

I always think the argument about the cause is stupid when clearly we should be thinking about and planning for the outcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    An Irish man, an English man and a Global Warming walk into a bar...

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Global Warming Theories....

• Advertisement

Maybe the causes are mostly bullsh!t but the outcome will be the same whether it's a natural occurrence or caused by man.

I always think the argument about the cause is stupid when clearly we should be thinking about and planning for the outcome

But the point is we don't have a clue what the outcome is going to be. We understand the planet's climate as much as we understand the beginning of the universe.

Should we be planning for an ice age , global warming or are things going to stay exactly as they are?

Should we be planning for an ice age , global warming or are thinks going to stay exactly as they are?

I think most people's thinks will not stay the same. People will change their opinion as the facts come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

Aa far as im concerned we won't be able to tell if we have impacted the earth's climate/atmosphere for at least a few thousand more years. In the past the world has dramatically cooled and warmed over the space of hundreds of years.

The lack of sun spots seems to be putting a huge dent in earths warming. Sun spots that were overly active for the past 15 years and possibly caused the recent warming we have had. The fact is we don't know so it is pointless flying in one direction when you don't know where you are or where you are going.

The best scientists said 30 years ago we were heading for an ice age, the best scientists nowdays say we are heading for a warm age. The truth is we won't know for hundreds of years because our understanding of climate is that of an infact. We have no clue about what causes the El Nino .

Global warming is a fad and the crazy resources that have been devoted to it should be devoted to other more important sciences. If we threw a few hundred billion towards Nuclear Fusion we'd sort out all the current problems currently aflicting it , instead we waste money on crap such as wind power which is completely unrealible at best.

How did the peer review go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

DTrotter wrote: »

as far as I'm concerned, badly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

It is FACT that the term "Global Warming" was coined by Margret Thatcher (former British Taoiseach); she couldn’t keep Britain’s then massive coal industry alive for much longer due to fair competition from Polish coal, so she came up with the notion that carbon emissions were linked to a potentially lethal increase in global temputure.

Global Warming is a political issue not a scientific one

The former head of Green Peace has said that it's all a load of BS

It serves as a modern form of imperialism, keeping underdeveloped countries from developing further, i.e. it was ok for the US and Europe to wreck the environment with CO2 but now when ye guys start developing emissions are bad

That sun spot thing is seriously interesting, did you know that the yanks that discovered the phenomenon made a fortune from the bookies betting on summer highs and winter lows before they published their first paper...legends
    You must remember most of the left wing are idealistic idiots and most of the right wing are selfish idiots and the lads in the centre are only in it for the money........so when it comes to science listen to scientists (cough me cough)

Unfortunately for my FYP i had to make a choice between short selling and global warming, i chose short selling .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

Smart Bug wrote: »

like, what are you? how do you live? why do you live?

liberal wrote: »
    It is FACT that the term "Global Warming" was coined by Margret Thatcher (former British Taoiseach)

That is brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's where I stopped reading.

And started LIVING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

The best scientists said 30 years ago we were heading for an ice age, the best scientists nowdays say we are heading for a warm age. The truth is we won't know for hundreds of years because our understanding of climate is that of an infact. We have no clue about what causes the El Nino.

Scientist 30 years ago were using computers which when programmed told them it would get alot colder. Scientist now are also using computers but these computers somehow have gotten better.

Also they do know what causes El Nino and La Nina. I actually thought most non scientists knew too.

But anyway I'm not going to get into this any further simply because I'm not in the mood.

• Advertisement

Orla K wrote: »
    Scientist 30 years ago were using computers which when programmed told them it would get alot colder. Scientist now are also using computers but these computers somehow have gotten better.

Also they do know what causes El Nino and La Nina. I actually thought most non scientists knew too.

But anyway I'm not going to get into this any further simply because I'm not in the mood.

Please in one sentence then explain to me the confirmed cause of El Nino and La Nina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Please in one sentence then explain to me the confirmed cause of El Nino and La Nina

MONSTERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

MONSTERS

He didn't ask what they were he asked what causes them. :rolleyes:

It would be one long sentence which I don't care enough to write. If you really want to know then do the research.

MONSTERS

Close SBC but the answer is WE DON't KNOW!

From the BBC- http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/el_nino_events.shtml
    The cause of El Niño and La Niña is not fully understood, but an important factor is the strength of the prevailing trade winds that blow from east to west across the equatorial Pacific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Aa far as im concerned we won't be able to tell if we have impacted the earth's climate/atmosphere for at least a few thousand more years.

Thats why they are theories

It would be one long sentence which I don't care enough to write. If you really want to know then do the research.

Well this is hilarious, your the one that said the cause of the EL Nino and La Nina had been found, im just wondering how you managed to solve the puzzle when all the other scientists haven't?

Close SBC but the answer is WE DON't KNOW!

From the BBC- http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/el_nino_events.shtml

I think you should use a website that isn't old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

Global warming is an excuse to make money for governments, eg taxing things because of the environmental imapact the product has etc.

Its a big load of sh*t to use as an excuse to make money!

• Advertisement

I think you should use a website that isn't old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o-Southern_Oscillation

The mechanisms that cause an El Niño event are still being investigated due to the difficulties in establishing clear patterns that allow reliable forecasts. As the phenomenon is located near the equator, events in both hemispheres may have an effect, and since weather events (made up of changeable wind directions) show some chaotic tendencies, the onset of El Niño-events reflects this. Long-range forecasts remain tentative for this reason.

lol, I knew you were going to go onto wiki, I just didn't know that you would quote them as well:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Give us the "short sentence" version...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

R&R without wiki hopefully...

lol, I knew you were going to go onto wiki, I just didn't know that you would quote them as well:D

I went on wiki first, but then found the BBC but i cannot find with the search in google "El nino/ nina cause" any other sources . I have at least tried to prove my point , your "it would be a really long sentence" seems a bit flimsy if you don't mind me saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Damn Green Party costing more money :pac:

• Advertisement

I went on wiki first, but then found the BBC but i cannot find with the search in google "El nino/ nina cause" any other sources . I have at least tried to prove my point , your "it would be a really long sentence" seems a bit flimsy if you don't mind me saying

I'm not arguing, if you REALLY want to know more about it then you can read up on it but I just don't care what you do/don't know (no offence just the mood I'm in). I'm not spoon feeding anyone any information today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

People often miss the fact most of the issues lumped in with global warming are to do with limited resources and pollution effects. Plastics are polluting the dead areas in the seas and killing migrating birds off. Combined with global warming this is seriously effecting their numbers.

So many people are correct in assuming that global warming is not proved but that doesn't mean the same measures to reduce carbon emissions are not good things to do.

I am not one for conspiracies but there are scientist and media agencies that use global warming to further other points for convenience and easy consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So, does this mean that I can still carry on burning huge mountains of tyres in my back garden? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I love these threads, people wander in and make their case based on nothing at all with no shred of proof to back it up and somehow they know better than people who've devoted years and years to this complex subject.

Time was ya had to get a man so drunk that he couldn't stand to see this mix of wrong and self assuredness.

God bless the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

But the point is we don't have a clue what the outcome is going to be. We understand the planet's climate as much as we understand the beginning of the universe.

Should we be planning for an ice age , global warming or are things going to stay exactly as they are?

I agree, but my point is that as new 'green' energy alternatives are being invested in and studied, what work is actually being done to plan for any outcome?

We should be planning for any change in the climate.

It's much the same as we should be studying areas of natural disasters and developing infrastructures that will withstand disasters, rather than focusing on disasters themselves and developing warning systems which do nothing until its too late

• Advertisement

We should be planning for any change in the climate.

I bought some summer shorts, a wooly hat, an umbrella, wellies, some sunscreen and a rainjacket yesterday.

I'm planning for any change in the climate this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bought some summer shorts, a wooly hat, an umbrella, wellies, some sunscreen and a rainjacket yesterday.

I'm planning for any change in the climate this weekend.

Were they out of snow-shoes?:eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Were they out of snow-shoes?:eek:

Egad! I knew I'd forgottens something. Roland Emmerich is going to have the last laugh after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

From the article
    The data suggests that changing solar activity is influencing in some way the global climate causing the world to get warmer

Their science is good :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

25 years ago "the experts" were telling us that ireland would have the climate of southern spain by 2020 and that southern spain, france etc would become desert :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

rossie1977 wrote: »
    25 years ago "the experts" were telling us that ireland would have the climate of southern spain by 2020 and that southern spain, france etc would become desert :rolleyes:
    They could be right. Have you not noticed the huge amount of Spanish students that flock here every year? They must know something we don't!

rossie1977 wrote: »

ProTip - what scientists actually report and what you read in the news are often two very different things.

As in, one is actual science, the other is sensationalist bullshit to sell copies of whatever rag is willing to print it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's unbelievably stupid to think that cutting back on CO2 emissions and dependence on oil is a some how a bad thing...

It's unbelievably stupid to think that cutting back on CO2 emissions and dependence on oil is a some how a bad thing...

Lookee here boy, I say, I just flew in from Dallas. I'm an oooil man ya see and I'll a-thank you not to tell me what is or is not stupid.

Dependence on oil is the way forward for our great nation. I say the way forward!

Lookee here boy, I say, I just flew in from Dallas. I'm an oooil man ya see and I'll a-thank you not to tell me what is or is not stupid.

Dependence on oil is the way forward for our great nation. I say the way forward!

Foghorn leghorn? Is that you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement