Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bible Bashers

Options
  • 18-06-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Does anybody know what the deal is with the korean people stopping people on campus with the pretext of conducting a survey? I was stopped, shown a video and then raved at for ten minutes about Jesus and dying before I could be saved... scary stuff. I eventually had to tell them to P**s off.

Is this allowed on UCD campus :eek:???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

micf wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the deal is with the korean people stopping people on campus with the pretext of conducting a survey? I was stopped, shown a video and then raved at for ten minutes about Jesus and dying before I could be saved... scary stuff. I eventually had to tell them to P**s off.

Is this allowed on UCD campus :eek:???

I think the more important question here is how did you know they where Korean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

They were telling people that they were from some korean church and inviting them back to the one they have in Dublin. Services ran them off campus an hour ago. They tried to stop me but I basically told them to get lost. A few of my friends had been stopped by them earlier.

They were rather intense I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 micf

boneless wrote: »
    They were telling people that they were from some korean church and inviting them back to the one they have in Dublin. Services ran them off campus an hour ago. They tried to stop me but I basically told them to get lost. A few of my friends had been stopped by them earlier.

They were rather intense I believe.

They had Bibles which were in Korean and dodgy passages translated into bad English. I actually felt rather intimidated by them. I am glad to hear that they were told to go. I never thought of reporting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

This sounds hilarious. Where abouts are they?

Maybe they're part of some cult

Camarague wrote: »
    This sounds hilarious. Where abouts are they?

Maybe they're part of some cult

They were actually a bit scary to tell the truth. They were to me anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

there seem to be quite a few asian 'religious' groups around campus these days. I was hassled by some group who believe God is a woman. They were really pushy and wanted to talk to me about it after lectures, at the weekend, etc. They also had a camcorder and were taking pictures of campus. Really odd. Again, never thought of reporting them to services!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

i am religious but if they were overly harsh or hyer or scary

i would turn my other hand and then my other cheek

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It could be worse - wait 'till the Scientologists get going.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

convert wrote: »
    some group who believe God is a woman.

Alanis Morisette???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I was outflanked by them near the science building. They actually came at me in a single line of 5, thus stopping me from walking around them! Then I kept trying to get away and they were so pushy, it was ridiculous. I just said I had to be somewhere at 7 (this was 6:55) and one of them goes "ah you have 5 minutes then". Just had to repeat poster aboves tactic and tell them to p**s off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

''gods not a woman hes a bitch''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

What ever happened to the guy who used to go around with the megaphone and shout about Jesus? He used to hang around the main restaurant a few years back. Anyone remember him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

One afternoon a few weeks ago when it was raining outside. I sat down near the Arts Programme Office and a African man came up to me and asked me for a 'few minutes of my time'. I said 'No thank you, I'm just waiting for the rain to stop'. He gave me a pleading look 'Please' which was probably an attempt to lovebomb me. Don't fall for it guys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bombing

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Next thing you know Tom Cruise will be all over the place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

ah the fundies are back. They seem to be spreading rapidly. I was walking to bus aras about a month ago and all these english people with giant signs, screaming about the horrific punishments that the non believers would receive in hell, stopped me on Talbot St. I think they might have had me drawn and quartered if i told them i was pagan!

Scary people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Those Koreans were probably Moonies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I have to say that in 3 and a half years in UCD that I've never come across these people. What building do they stake out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I have to say that in 3 and a half years in UCD that I've never come across these people. What building do they stake out?

They appeared a few weeks ago. I assumed they were language students at first. Oddly all the stories said above about them are actually true. Bizarre really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Crazy_marble

Are they still around? They're from the World Mission Society Church of God...tried to recruit my boyfriend a year or two ago and wouldn't leave him alone. Not the nicest people in the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

These girls were in DIT today. Got the same lecture as OP. And when told them that I was a member of the tribe that eh.... "got rid of jesus" ..... well that didnt go down well.

I asked them were they the same Koreans that were on UCD campus a while back..... "Oh no, me never forced to leave anywere..... People very receptive to word of the father....."

BTW they were Korean....

• Advertisement

sodabread wrote: »
    These girls were in DIT today. Got the same lecture as OP. And when told them that I was a member of the tribe that eh.... "got rid of jesus" ..... well that didnt go down well.

I asked them were they the same Koreans that were on UCD campus a while back..... "Oh no, me never forced to leave anywere..... People very receptive to word of the father....."

BTW they were Korean....

They were told to leave the UCD campus on two occasions. I was talking to one of the women from services who also said that they tried to follow people into the buildings. Scary people altogether.

By the way, I loved your reply... pity I can't think on my feet like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

I heard they were back again today at the sport centre, anyone see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

TDOie wrote: »

Yeah....such an important question...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

TDOie wrote: »

Well op (et al.), if those (or any) Korean bible nuts and Jesus freaks come around again and start hassling you, just quote Clint Eastwood from Gran Torino:
    "I used to stack ****s likes you, five feet high in Korea, use ya for sand bags." Don't know why this might work, but I think they'll get the message of one's lack of enthusiasm for hearing the 'word of god'!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I was talking to them today at the 11 bus stop outside the sports centre. They said they were doing a survey and would I mind helping them, so being the nice man I am I said sure. Not really sure what happened to the "survey" as they just showed me a video and then asked me about my religious & spiritual beliefs, and what I thought of theirs. I actually quite enjoyed the conversation, we had a pleasant debate. Though they were a bit odd... friendly though.
    Sure whatever keeps them happy, they didn't bother me so each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

they got me in th arts block last week.

said they wanted to do a survey, then showed my a video and started talking about how god was a woman.

They were pretty funny and not overly agressive or pushy, they left when i said I wanted to make a phone call.

i got a lot of amusement out of the conversation to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

dosed wrote: »
    they got me in th arts block last week.

said they wanted to do a survey, then showed my a video and started talking about how god was a woman.

They were pretty funny and not overly agressive or pushy, they left when i said I wanted to make a phone call.

i got a lot of amusement out of the conversation to be honest.

They are actually very nice, they had a bit of a get together last night and they invited me along, was a lot of fun and you should all really hear them out. What they have to say makes a lot of sense and is the only way to true salvation.

Incidentally, anyone interested in buying all of my possessions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

WeeBushy wrote: »
    They are actually very nice, they had a bit of a get together last night and they invited me along, was a lot of fun and you should all really hear them out. What they have to say makes a lot of sense and is the only way to true salvation.

That's actually hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

WeeBushy wrote: »

Oh you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cats-pyjamas

They got me outside the GPEP department - asked me to watch a video and answer some survey questions. Being a grad student and having conducted surveys myself, I said yes. They asked about my beliefs and got pushy when I told them I was an atheist, but I just walked off and reported them to services, who I later saw chasing them out of the arts building.

It's the deception that bothers me - why are they so cagey about what they want you to watch, why do they call it a 'survey' when it they are clearly trying to recruit - sorry - 'spread the word'
    Due to my inclination to help out other students doing a survey, I had to deal with this and then, the kicker: I missed my bus! :mad:

Advertisement