Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

digital-cameras.com

• 18-06-2009 4:44pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a work colleague who recently purchased a Canon 1000D with 18-55mm kit lens with it. Link: http://www.digital-cameras.com/product.asp?ProductName=Canon-EOS-1000D-18-55mm-Lens-Kit&ProductID=5353

The picture of the product indicates that it is an IS version of the lens, but he received a bundle with just the standard 18-55 lens without the IS.

He was under the impression that it would be an IS version of the lens, and I'd tend to agree with him (Given the picture doesn't say 'For illustration purposes only' or similar) and also I was under the impression that all kit lens bundles these days came with the IS version of the lens.

He's a bit unhappy about this and rang the company to see what his option were, and they said they'd take it for a refund and that he would have to pay the shipping costs.
    He asked could this lens be sent on its own but was told they wouldn't do this.

He's wondering if its worth sending it back? I'd be of the opinion that on an 18-55mm lens that IS wouldn't make much of a difference, but I could be wrong.

Comments

IS won't make a differencereally at 18-55 (though I am very new to all this).

And the picture won't stand up when the product description states a standard lens.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

IS won't make a differencereally at 18-55 (though I am very new to all this).

And the picture won't stand up when the product description states a standard lens.

Agreed, product discription is what you buy from not a photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Peteee wrote: »
    He's wondering if its worth sending it back? I'd be of the opinion that on an 18-55mm lens that IS wouldn't make much of a difference, but I could be wrong.

I have the standard, non-IS kit lens and have used it successfully for the past 18 months. I posted here about the negative reviews it got, as I think it's not bad.

However there was such a fuss about it that Canon produced the IS version which became the standard kit lens with many eos cameras. Your friend may have got a very good price because the kit in question was the older model, though I'm not sure on this.

One tip is to buy a small travel tripod and use it to keep the camera rock steady. One expert who saw some of my flower photos was surprised (pleasantly so) by how sharp they were.

Advertisement