Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber not fixing work in house

Options
  • 18-06-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a plumber install a new bathroom for me last year in August, this included re routing a few pipes and installing toilet, sink, bath and shower. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a few drips coming from the ceiling in the sitting room which is directly below the bathroom and a few mins later the ceiling collapsed, water poured out and destroyed the hardwood floor, ceiling , couch underneath it, my laptop. Turns out one of the pipes was installed incorrectly and broke causing it to leak and eventually fall through the ceiling. I called the plumber to come back and fix it and he came over and had a look fixed it and went, 5 mins later it came back as bad as ever, I had him come again and replace the waste pipe which he said it was and yet again this didn't solve it. I told him that I now believe the bath was installed wrong and is putting pressure on the pipes under them causing them to break.

It has been 5 weeks now and I still have this leak going on despite several calls to him he is now ignoring me, my insurance company were waiting on the report from him before paying out but obviously I cannot give them that while the leak is still present, as well as the inconvienience of not being able to use the shower.

I am now going to get another plumber to repair it as I cannot wait any longer on this waster. My question is once my insurance company pay for the damages will they now persue him for neglagence in his work and c an I reclaim my costs of fixing the leak from him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Don't pay him in the first place, pay the new plumber for the work they do and inform the insurance of the problems due to the original plumbers work, get this in a report from the new plumber.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

Don't pay him in the first place, pay the new plumber for the work they do and inform the insurance of the problems due to the original plumbers work, get this in a report from the new plumber.

MC

I assume hes already been paid hence as the work was completed last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Meant the work he did recently that has now failed.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Irishcrx wrote: »

I am now going to get another plumber to repair it as I cannot wait any longer on this waster. My question is once my insurance company pay for the damages will they now persue him for neglagence in his work and c an I reclaim my costs of fixing the leak from him?

If he has insurance, your insurance company will go after them, if he doesn't they could still go after him personally.

Include the fix in your insurance claim holding onto all documents.

If Your insurance pays up, your outta the loop, happy days.

Advertisement