Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA 2009 Top Ten Teams

• 18-06-2009 4:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭

How about if we follow the top 10 ranked NCAA Division I football teams for the 2009 season on this thread? Of course, you may disagree with any given poll, and are free to include teams you feel should be in the ten best.

As of mid-June, three of the early polls show the top 10 ranked teams as follows:

AP Top 10
    1 Florida
    2 Utah
    3 USC:cool:
    4 Texas
    5 Oklahoma
    6 Alabama
    7 TCU
    8 Penn State
    9 Ohio State
    10 Oregon

Coaches Top 10
    1 Florida
    2 USC:cool:
    3 Texas
    4 Utah
    5 Oklahoma
    6 Alabama
    7 TCU
    8 Penn State
    9 Oregon
    10 Georgia

Harris Top 10
    1 Florida
    2 Oklahoma
    3 Texas
    4 Alabama
    5 USC:cool:
    6 Penn State
    7 Utah
    8 Texas Tech
    9 Boise State
    10 Ohio State

FLORIDA #1? It would appear that these three polls agree that Florida is #1, but disagree in other rankings?

DO YOU DARE? Most of you would claim that it's way too early to rank these teams? Some of you might agree with the BCS and wait until a few games have been played? But is anyone daring? Willing to stick their neck out and take a guess as to which teams are the 10 best and rank them at this moment in time?

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/polls

:cool:Sorry, I couldn't resist! Fight on Trojans!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What exactly are you looking for here? Is it the start of season rankings or how it will be at the end of the season?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eagle eye wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking for here? Is it the start of season rankings or how it will be at the end of the season?
    Where you would rank them at this moment in time? But you may revise your rankings as the season progresses, just like the coaches, AP, Harris, and BCS does. This will be our boards.ie running poll, plus discussions about games played.

Bad B!ue top 10
    1. Florida
    2. USC
    3. Texas
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Utah
    6. Alabama
    7. Ohio St
    8. Boise St
    9. Oregon
    10. Texas Tech

Ok well I think the teams that were hard done by last season were the Trojans and the Utes.

Eagle Eyed Top 10

1. Florida
    2. USC
    3. Utah
    4. Alabama
    5. Texas
    6. Oklahoma
    7. TCU
    8. Penn State
    9. Ohio State
    10. Boise State

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Don't know enough about college football but I'd have Bama higher than 6, I think they're returning a lot of starters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ok well I think the teams that were hard done by last season were the Trojans and the Utes.

Eagle Eyed Top 10

1. Florida
    2. USC
    3. Utah
    I was struggling with the Utes as to where to place them. I agree with you that they may just surprise everyone with their performance on the grid iron this year.

As for the problems USC is having with the NCAA, in particular Reggie Bush, I fear that there will be some backroom settlement where Bush will be stripped of his Heisman, and USC of one national title. But I doubt that USC will be suspended from the NCAA for one or two years. That would be a bit harsh, and after all, a lot of innocent footballers would be harmed in the process (suggesting that two wrongs don't make a right?). Only time will tell.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well lads, it's almost gridiron season. Anyone daring enough to rank who they think are the 10 top NCAA football teams before they play?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

1. USC
    2. Florida
    3. Alabama
    4. Texas
    5. Ohio State
    6. Utah
    7. Oklahoma
    8. TCU
    9. Penn State
    10. Georgia/LSU

Ok im just about to go to bed so I will explain my reasons over the next week. Too lazy and tired now. I couldn't decide on Georgia or LSU in 10.

Oh and USC number 1 as they have done the best recruiting this year. Some quality choices.

Oh and USC number 1 as they have done the best recruiting this year. Some quality choices.
    Hope you are right. Not that I am biased in any way...;)

Coaching is so important in college and thats why I will stick with Florida at no.1. Urban Meyer is quite simply a football genius.
    I like Peter Carroll as I've said many time before and he has done a great job with the Trojans and they are always going to be contendors with him in charge.
    The Utes have continued to impress since Meyer left them, and Kyle Whittingham has to take credit for that. They are going to be excellent again this year, if they go undefeated again this year they really do deserve to get to the big game.
    Nick Saban has been improving the Tide since he arrived and they are going to keep improving imo. They will be very dangerous this season, the bowl loss was to a team that were potentially Championship game worthy and it was the Gators that inflicted their only other loss on them.

After that its hard to say who will be where, I originally went with the Longhorns at no.5 but that because they have an explosive offense and their defense doesn't have to be that good, its only Tech and the Sooners that will worry them and they will get ranked because of this. The same applies to the Sooners, I'd rank Tech but they've lost Harrell and Crabtree and that is a lot to try and make up for. They still could shock though, Leach is a very a passionate man and it transfers to his teams.

The Buckeyes will always be around and in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Lirange

1. Florida
    2. Texas
    3. Oklahoma
    4. USC
    5. Alabama
    6. Oregon State
    7. Ohio State
    8. Virginia Tech
    9. Utah
    10. Oklahoma State

Potential surprises/moving up: Tennessee, Nebraska, Arizona, and Iowa.

USC always has good talent to replace departed players but they lost so much on defence. Inexperience may cost at least a game or two. OK State will be a sleeper in the Big 12. All of this amounts to nowt though which makes it fun. As is customary there will be at least one team that nobody is thinking of right now that will be in the championship picture toward the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Coaches Poll is out!

As expected the Gators top the poll but im sure everyone can find something to bitch about with the positions of everyone!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

frostie500 wrote: »
    Coaches Poll is out!

As expected the Gators top the poll but im sure everyone can find something to bitch about with the positions of everyone!
    Indeed! Methinks USC is placed well at #4 with all the nOOb replacements on defense, but I do not see Penn State ranked as #8 but someplace lower. JoePa's just too predictable with an "I" formation for an average of one-third of his offensive plays. Yes, I know there are variations on how the "I" is played, but it does narrow down the uncertainty for the defense somewhat?

Looking at the USC schedule, if they beat #6 Ohio State early in the season (12 September away game), they just might be a contender for the championship? If not, I'll be crying in my brew, and not dancing on table tops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

JoePa's just too predictable with an "I" formation for an average of one-third of his offensive plays. Yes, I know there are variations on how the "I" is played, but it does narrow down the uncertainty for the defense somewhat?

Well, we could get into saying that about the Big 12 teams who live in the spread offense. Knowing how an opponent is going to line out for a lot of their plays, and being able to stop them moving the ball from such sets are entirely different things.

Advertisement