Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books about movies

Options
  • 18-06-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend got me thinking about this. I know there are loads of movies based on books, but does anybody know any books that are based on movies? Oh, and those crappy kids books that sumarise the movie don't count. Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

There are novelisations for most major films, and then there are books that expand on movies e.g. the Star Wars Expanded Universe (hundreds of books).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster

An entertaining romp - not the kind of comment welcomed by Austerites, but it's as good as he's written. Some enjoyable digressions on silent movies. If anyone tries to persuade you of Auster's philosophical merits, however, laugh 'em off - he's a decent genre novelist with a weakness for pretension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

the alien series has some books about it, not just graphic novels.
    i remember reading aliens, which was pretty similar to the movie and another book that was not based on any movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

My Girl by Patricia Hermes, it might be a kids/young adult book but it's not crappy! Really a fantastic book to read and the only one to make me cry every time.

*I wondered how I'd ever manage to mention My Girl in Literature, thanks Jay P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Would anyone recommend The Last Tycoon? I love Gatsby and Tender is the Night but having also read some of Fitzgerald's later hackwork I'm apprehensive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Abyss was written after the film, and also added some background to the main characters which was a nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Slack Bladder

Suspects by David Thomson is probably the best book about movies ever written. It follows the lives of a number of movie characters after the end credits. Characters like Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver), Jake Gittes (Chinatown), Rick (Casablanca) etc. etc. Highly recommended.

Advertisement