Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying a media server

• 18-06-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

A while back I added a Conceptronic Grab n Go CH3SNAS to my home network to back up and store all my media.

I'd like to make use of the built-in media server option but I don't really know how to use media servers (not just the ch3snas). Can anybody offer advice?

My long term goal is to access the nas via Opera on the Wii to play music or look at photos, but I don't know if this can be done. In the short term I'd like to know how the media servers are identified by media players. Is it IP address and port number if I'm using a web browser? What about something like MS Media Player from a seperate PC on the home network?

The ch3snas is supposed to be able to work as a stand alone media server, so there should be no requirement for a PC running Tversity or Orb or any other media server software.

I appreciate any help. If this was answered before I apologise for bringing it up again, I did search for threads about media servers but couldn't find the answer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 IgnatiusPop

The problem is not the server software, but rather that the Wii itself has very limited streaming support compaired to equivilent consoles, such as the xbox 360. Currently the Wii only supports .Flv (Flash Video) for Video streaming, MP3 for Audio streaming, and Jpeg, and Gif for picture slideshows. The application that came with your NAS may not be able to stream to the Wii, however, there are a couple of other server apps that you can use to stream some of your films/pictures to your console;

• Wii Media Center X - kind of like windows media center, but only in the early stages of release, so may be buggy.
    • Wii Hear - An application for consolodating lists of internet radio stations, and streaming them to your Wii/TV.
    • If you have a Mac, you can use Wii Transfer to stream filmes and Audio to your Wii, but again, because of limited codec support on the consol, the number of films from your collection that you will be able to view may be limited.
    • Tversity, which will stream Adobe Flash movies to the console,

You can give these a go, and you will probably get reasonable results but unfortunitly, you will always have limitations with the Wii concerning the content that you can play on it because it was designed to be a pure console, not console/media center.

Couple of links for you:
    http://www.last100.com/2007/06/25/five-resources-to-create-a-wii-media-center/

http://tversity.com/support/devices

G'luck!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Thanks.

I haven't gotten anywhere near trying to connect from the Wii to the server. I don't think there's any problems with the server software, it's me, the user who needs sorting out.

I need to know how Media Servers are recognised by other devices on the network such as PCs, or even mobile phones and games consoles. I don't know what I'm looking for, or how to find it. I'd have the same issue if I was running something like Tversity, I need to know how to find an active media server on a network.

Advertisement