Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dublin-leeds-scunthorpe (get car) to holyead - will i make it?

• 18-06-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Lads, anyone done a rush trip to england to get a car within the day?

Im heading to leeds in the morning, getting collected by garage then ~80 miles to scunthorpe to get car then to holyhead to catch ferry. heres my timeframe i think it might be tight. I can only hope Ryanair and garage get me there on time!

arrive leeds. 10.20
    leeds - scunthorpe - arrive dealer. 12.00
    leave dealer. 12.30
    scunthorpe to holyhead 209miles (3.36 gmaps time) 4.06 pm
    ferry last check in 4.45pm

this is all assuming it goes swimingly and I don't get lost. (hah my mates would have a field day on that one) what odds? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

00sully wrote: »
    Lads, anyone done a rush trip to england to get a car within the day?

Im heading to leeds in the morning, getting collected by garage then ~80 miles to scunthorpe to get car then to holyhead to catch ferry. heres my timeframe i think it might be tight. I can only hope Ryanair and garage get me there on time!

arrive leeds. 10.20
    leeds - scunthorpe - arrive dealer. 12.00
    leave dealer. 12.30
    scunthorpe to holyhead 209miles (3.36 gmaps time) 4.06 pm
    ferry last check in 4.45pm

this is all assuming it goes swimingly and I don't get lost. (hah my mates would have a field day on that one) what odds? :o

According to your times you've got 40 mins of contingency to play with. It looks doable. Worst case scenario is that you get delayed more than that 40 mins and end up having to get one of the 2:30 am sailings. Sure you'll be back in Dublin in time for work next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You should have plenty of time. You did say you were buying a Porsche, did you? ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

unkel wrote: »
    You should have plenty of time. You did say you were buying a Porsche, did you? ;):D

yip a 928 if i recall ;)

40 mins to play with hopefully not taking into account traffic or anything. should be enough. I do not want to spend any more time in holyhead than I have to! it'll be a mini race at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

Assuming you don't get caught up in traffic around Manchester(M62) you should make it. Immingham (20 mins east of Scunthorpe) to Holyhead took me 4 hrs in the past with a breakfast stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I did a 8am flight to leeds, drove home same day ~190 miles across the UK to Holyhead. Left dealer 12ish, pleanty of time to spare to catch the fast ferry - I was first in ferry queue!

Make sure your insurance is sorted BEFORE you leave Ireland!

Bring portable sat-nav AND charger! <-god sent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Good luck with that one dude - hope ya make it!

The biggest concern would be the handover - can you inspect the car and approve it to your satisfaction plus do the paperwork in 30mins? Be careful dude, the rush on time may lead you to overlook something!

P.S. - Scunthorpe eh? Make sure you drink your milk or you'll only be good enough to make it to Acrynton Stanley*!

Spelling may be way off but the more seasoned poster may get this!

Advertisement