Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medical exam for job?

• 18-06-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

hi

has anyone ever done a medical exam for a job before? what is involved? what would they fail you on - or is it just a formality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I did.

I had to pee in a cup and all that. I smoke a fair amount of weed and passed the exam. Make of that what you will, but don't depend on it. Different companies will be looking for different things in the exam itself so it depends. You're within your rights to ask the company (or doctor) what they'll be checking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Might be worth moving to work and jobs forum.

I've done a few, in general the company want to ascertain if you have any preexisting medical conditions that may hinder you doing the job or in the result of you suing them down the line establish if you have a pre existing injury.
    Usually nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Depends on the company, some can look out for asthma, hearing, vision and the likes. Some look out for illegal substances.....watch out:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

sorry if i am in the wrong place - just getting use to this

thanks for responses

just have another on same - do they test for pregnancy (early signs of it even) and can they fail you on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know someone who found they were pregnant in the medical for B&L. It was over 10 years ago but she didn't get the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mozattack wrote: »
    hi

has anyone ever done a medical exam for a job before? what is involved? what would they fail you on - or is it just a formality?

One medical exam I had for a major investment bank involved the GP (an old-boy working off Camden St., long since retired) making me think of five sequential numbers between 1 and 50 and name random colours that came to mind. I've done various psychometric evaluations before, but he was totally off-the-wall.

Another exam I had for a pharmaceutical company involved the GP asking me to get on a bench and dropping my smalls! He didn't get touchy-feely, before you ask!

It seems to be completely arbitrary as to what the average GP thinks constitutes a normal medical exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I know someone who found they were pregnant in the medical for B&L. It was over 10 years ago but she didn't get the job.

that is very worrying - can they do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

mozattack wrote: »
    that is very worrying - can they do that?

I would imagine that would be discrimination.

I've done four or five medicals. It's mostly to get you to fill out the form about pre-existing conditions and family history and that so they have their backs covered if something happens to you.

You'll usually have your blood pressure taken. Have to give a urine sample which different people test for different things. Do some form of eye test. In the case of one company, males get their man-bits checked. It's never anything major.

I don't know if you'd have to tell them you're pregnant. It may be on one of the forms you'd be filling out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd imagine that for you to give informed consent to medical tests it would be appropriate for them to inform you exactly what was going to be tested for. So I'd suggest you ask politely and they're probably obliged to tell you.

Advertisement