Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icom IC-F4029SDR

Options
  • 18-06-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

How much do these suck? I can't find any reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Because they are not worth reviewing.

Practically no-one does Digital PMR

Digital PMR is inferior to an Analogue Lidl PMR446.

It's an attempt by Icom to sell an upmarket PMR446.

If you have a pair probably hardly anyone could listen in (though it's not encrypted, just unlikely someone else has one), but expect about 1/2 to 1/4 range of Analogue mode in real life.

Are they even legal here as Comreg only specifies the analogue channels and Ofcom gave special permission in UK?
    http://www.uhfcb.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9&start=0

I suppose useful for a bouncer or Shop security, but a licensed VHF or UHF handset would be 1/2 that price. I can think of better things to spend 400 Euro on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

kthx

i had loads of pmr radios. but got rid of them all
    and **** it am i sorry now

there was some really small ones sold by oregon scientific a while back but i cant find em anywhere now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Watch out for lidl. Theirs work as well as any, about 29 Euro a pair and last time had charging holsters.

Very compact. The vox works well too. I keep a pair and a sett of spare batteries in my emergency bag.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I can't believe the price of those radios... over stg£200??? :eek:

Definitely not worth it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ok i finally found a review http://www.radiohobby.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=933

he says the range is a bit shorter for digital mode alright

and they are using AMBE which I can only assume sounds like talking on an Iridium phone

who are these nutters who approved an evil, proprietary codec like AMBE for digital PMR? I can't find out anything about the standard or the air interface or anything other than the list of digital channels and possibly that they are using 2-slot TDMA

if a pair was going very cheap on ebay i'd still buy them. but tis all buy it now

• Advertisement
Advertisement