Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Prog Rock bands?

Options
  • 18-06-2009 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

So, I've been quite a fan of the good old Prog for many a year now, and I've got quite a few albums from the likes of King Crimson, Yes, Camel, ELP, Jethro Tull and so forth, and of course Rush. But I'm kinda itching for some new blood so to speak, I'd like to hear some more modern, new bands approaching the style of music.

Now, I'm not after any Progressive Metal here, I'm more than familiar with the likes of Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation, I'm really after some rock here.

For example, one band I've discovered a while back was Ashada, a Japanese Folk/Prog band:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

They are super! Nice find!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Have a look out for Black Bonzo!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You should try some Crippled Black Phoenix, especially their new album 200 Tons Of Bad Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 slave_screams

Morf wrote: »
    Have a look out for Black Bonzo!

Uriah Heap could start lawsuit preceedings there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Kess73 wrote: »
    You should try some Crippled Black Phoenix, especially their new album 200 Tons Of Bad Luck.

They're folk if anything. I don't hear any prog in them at all, certainly not from that album.

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    They're folk if anything. I don't hear any prog in them at all, certainly not from that album.

You here no prog on 200 Tons.....?

I can hear plenty of PF and Tull on it. They are defo a folk/Prog sounding band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm hearing a lot of things in that track you posted Kess73, I may have to pick that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Kess73 wrote: »

Great album title too.

I'm hearing a lot of things in that track you posted Kess73, I may have to pick that up.

One of the album tracks on it, Wendigo, brings Morricone to mind in places for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Riverside from Poland are excellent

Check out these dudes

Just seen an ad for their debut, The Weirding, in Record Collector. Not to be mistaken with the Italian crowd of the same name
    Very retro but very nice. Love the Ralf Backshi LotR clips

Another very good album, that is very chilled in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Karl,

Have you heard the Flower Kings?

If not, I'd highly, very highly, recommend Paradox Hotel.

Got a sh*t connection here, so can't post youtube links. But check 'em out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

You might like these guys Karl, their a local band to me (Derry). Their first album was very good but their second one - A Time Of Shadow - is just brilliant.

http://www.myspace.com/thedeadheroesclub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMZdlecMk0E

Anyone know these guys? Just came across them on ProgArchives - been around for ages but never heard of them, pretty good - kinda post rock with vocals, really nice vibe

This track is a bit of a slow burn but well worth sticking with

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

There's always The Mars Volta, they came out with a new album there a few weeks ago that's pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Porcupine Tree if they have not already been mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ghost from Japan are my absolute favourite current band that could be best described as prog. Hypnotic Underworld is a stormer of an album.

apoch632 wrote: »
    Porcupine Tree if they have not already been mentioned

I'd been wondering if they'd be mentioned. I'm very well familiar with them, and seen them live twice. ;)

• Advertisement

Following on from Anekdoten came across another current Swedish group - Ritual, from the more upbeat livelier school - kind of like King Crimson, Yes and Jethro Tull sqiushed together

Contemporary Swedish Prog ftw!

1000th post! WooT

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Following on from Anekdoten came across another current Swedish group - Ritual, from the more upbeat livelier school - kind of like King Crimson, Yes and Jethro Tull sqiushed together

Contemporary Swedish Prog ftw!

1000th post! WooT

Gah! I like it a lot musically, but lyrically it commits one of the very worst offenses in music to my ears; constant self-reference. I'm reminded of the Saw Doctors singing "We're the Joyce country ceili band..."

Sorry there Moomin, Anekdoten was great, but that Ritual track... Karl says no.

Gah! I like it a lot musically, but lyrically it commits one of the very worst offenses in music to my ears; constant self-reference. I'm reminded of the Saw Doctors singing "We're the Joyce country ceili band..."

Sorry there Moomin, Anekdoten was great, but that Ritual track... Karl says no.

Sgt Peppers, the Spiders from Mars - it has some valid uses. I do think Anekdoten are the real 'find' though
    The Saw Doctors! Thankfully I don't know what you're talking about:p

Yeah, sometimes it can work I guess, but in general I just cannot stand self-referential lyrics, it's a sin, completely grates with me.

A pet hate, I guess?

Yeah, sometimes it can work I guess, but in general I just cannot stand self-referential lyrics, it's a sin, completely grates with me.

A pet hate, I guess?

Thats cool - we all have them - overused motifs drive me nuts - Ronnie Dio and his bloody Rainbows/Tigers, RHCP - We get it, you're from California, and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I saw this thread when I was holidays but was having too much fun to respond.

anyhoo, my suggestions are

Ankedoten, I have Nucleus by them its very good, the second half of the album from the track 'book of hours' to 'In Future' is amazing

There is also Beardfish, again I only have one of their albums Sleeping in traffic part one which ticks all the boxes for me.

However I think the thread opens up a whole discussion on what is Mordern Prog. There are bands that most definitely would be aligned with Prog and I know what you are looking for ...but then there are many bands I think that have extremely progressive elements e.g. Radiohead, Muse, Wilco etc there are the ambient bands such as Boards of Canada which could easily trace their roots back to early Tangerine dream\eno etc.Whilst also there is also the math-Rock scene with bands like Battles.

of course you are probably well aware of all of these bands, but what qualities distinguishes them from Progressive rock?

For more 70's prog. Check out Egg, Gryphon, Nektar, Gentle Giant, Magma and Gong

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

+1 on Anekdoten. I have A Time of Day, it's a great album.

I don't think Marillion have been mentioned yet. Been around for a while, but still making albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Check out Soundtrack Of Our Lives (or TSOOL) from Sweden. Terrific retro music, space rock in places. Go for the album "Behind The Music". First rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Check out Soundtrack Of Our Lives (or TSOOL) from Sweden. Terrific retro music, space rock in places. Go for the album "Behind The Music". First rate.

Seen them a few times on 'Later' and stuff and like them. They certainly are retro but would have thought them more akin to early 70's hard rock than prog. Not that there is anything wrong with! However spacerock you say..hmmm which tracks should I check out?

Advertisement