Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters on PC doesn't get Multiplayer, Consoles do

Options
  • 18-06-2009 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/06/14/sorry-pc-players-no-online-multiplayer-for-your-ghostbusters-ga/
    Atari is about to ship their long awaited Ghostbusters game to stores this coming week but a few folks have gotten their copies a bit early and such as the Ghostbusters fan site Ecto-Web. They have discovered something that hasn't been mentioned once in any of the previews of the Terminal Reality-developed title. While the Xbox 360, PS3 and ports will have some sort of multiplayer options, the PC version of Ghostbusters has no such multiplayer features . . . at all, offline or online.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah they explained the reason for this was lack of rescources to allocate to the PC version and they had to prioritize the consoles version above the PC version. No big suprise as the console versions will for sure sell more. Even at that the PS3 version is graphical considerably inferior to the Xbox 360 version.

As a concession to PC gamers the game is suppose to retail for $30.00 half the price of the console version. Although prices may vary.

Of course its a PS3 exclusive in Europe at the momemnt and so won't isn't on release here for the PC or Xbox for another few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Meh. Was planning on getting the PS3 version anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Azza wrote: »
    As a concession to PC gamers the game is suppose to retail for $30.00 half the price of the console version. Although prices may vary.

No Multiplayer, no money. Guess where I'm gettin it :D

Pity, cos it looks v good, was lookin forward to some lan play with my young fella, wasn't much older then him when I played the first one on Commodore 64

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well judging by your previous posts you would use any excuse to justify flying the jolly roger. If the lack of multiplayer bothers you so much just don't bother with it at all. Personally even if it had multiplayer I would not be interested in getting it.

Azza wrote: »
    Well judging by your previous posts you would use any excuse to justify flying the jolly roger. If the lack of multiplayer bothers you so much just don't bother with it at all. Personally even if it had multiplayer I would not be interested in getting it.

Some games deserve it and should never be released on pc (GTA4). Word has it that this pc version of ghostbusters game is actually ported from the Wii and is only DirectX 8.

Even though I pirate quite a bit, I do actually buy some games......Well some that deserve my cash. I've a fairly big Steam, bought L4D before it was released, I bought Day of Defeat last week, I'll be buying Arma 2 next week......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The graphics are a fair bit better on the 360 in parts, if this video is anything to go by.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/51637.html

I don't know if I should hold out on getting it for the 360. Sucks that the MP isn't on PC, but if it is ported from some Wii version as speculated,... jeeeesus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The quincunx filtering and low resolution on the PS3 coupled with the low quality textures and poor lighting and shadowing make the PS3 game look absolutely awful compared to the 360 version. It's probably the biggest disparity I've seen between the two platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Ouch about no multiplayer, the Kotaku review was citing that as being the very best part. Hmm.. just as well I've an excues to give this one a miss, I have a huge backlog of games to play through at the moment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not sure if it's been posted before, but here's a page that does a graphics comparison between the PS3 and 360 versions. The difference is quite shocking at times.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Looks like more like a PS2 version versus 360 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Some games deserve it and should never be released on pc (GTA4). Word has it that this pc version of ghostbusters game is actually ported from the Wii and is only DirectX 8.

Even though I pirate quite a bit, I do actually buy some games......Well some that deserve my cash. I've a fairly big Steam, bought L4D before it was released, I bought Day of Defeat last week, I'll be buying Arma 2 next week......

Some games deserve to be stolen? Buying "some" games makes your theft all right? Real life doesn't have one of those sliding scale morality-meters you got in Jedi Knight. You're not a hero, you're a thief.

No multiplayer makes me sad, but if the single player is worthwhile I can see myself buying it soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Something is foul in the state of Denmark.

I smell antitrust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Bad news for the Playstation with this, especially considering this announcement from Activision today.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217915

The multiplayer isn't too important for me though, as the PS3 and 360 won't have offline coop anyway (only the Wii and PS2 will afair) but those graphical differences are unforgivable. It's a Sony movie, that was supposedly developed as a game on a Sony console, so why doesn't it equal the 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Lol I don't think this could possibly have been developed for the PS3.

It is running in 480P on PS3 which is ridiculous. For all we know it is ported from the Wii version. Lets face it, it will sell better on Wii and both Wii and PS3 use IBM PowerPC processor architechture and ATI graphics cards if I remember correctly so there is bound to be some similarity between the coding techniques required for both consoles. Don't know if it is more than the 360 and PS3 would have in common which seems to be very little.

Of course I'm no expert so Wii and PS3 could haven nothing that would make porting from one to the other possible or even likely but it seems the only way to explain the game running at 480P on PS3 and in HD on 360.

It seems obvious to me the developer focussed on the consoles they thought it would sell well on rather than the console they were supposed to be designing for according to their own earlier interviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Wii and PS2 games are completely different to the 360 and PS3 version. The PS3 verison seems to be a port of the 360 version.

The reason the PS3 version is so poor is just lazy developers. The resolution it is running at is utterly disgraceful. The extra video ram the 360 gives the 360 a massive advantage over the PS3 when it comes to utilising higher quality textures and effects but the poor shadows, lighting, occulation and other effects or absence of them is pretty inexcuseable. Games like Killzone usually get around this by using a lower resolution on their effects and shaders over low res textures which is unnoticeable unless you are looking very hard for it, there's really no excuse for how badly the port ended up.

Sarky wrote: »
    Some games deserve to be stolen? Buying "some" games makes your theft all right? Real life doesn't have one of those sliding scale morality-meters you got in Jedi Knight. You're not a hero, you're a thief.

piracy-is-not-theft.jpg

Piracy is not "theft" in the sense that the owner has only lost potential profit, not actual lost value. And, as a matter of fact, it's not even lost potential profit unless the pirate would have paid for the game had he not been able to steal it.

BTW, I've this dl'ed for the young fella, I'll let ye kno how it goes later

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Wii and PS2 games are completely different to the 360 and PS3 version. The PS3 verison seems to be a port of the 360 version.

The reason the PS3 version is so poor is just lazy developers. The resolution it is running at is utterly disgraceful. The extra video ram the 360 gives the 360 a massive advantage over the PS3 when it comes to utilising higher quality textures and effects but the poor shadows, lighting, occulation and other effects or absence of them is pretty inexcuseable. Games like Killzone usually get around this by using a lower resolution on their effects and shaders over low res textures which is unnoticeable unless you are looking very hard for it, there's really no excuse for how badly the port ended up.

I read somewhere the devs have a cross platform engine.
    I guess that translates into lazy port.

A different studio developed the PS2 and Wii games.

piracy-is-not-theft.jpg

Piracy is not "theft" in the sense that the owner has only lost potential profit, not actual lost value. And, as a matter of fact, it's not even lost potential profit unless the pirate would have paid for the game had he not been able to steal it.

Talk semantics all you want. You stole the game, simple as that. Nobody really cares and anyone who judges you isn't really going to impact your life (unless of course it's a legal judge presiding over your case!). Lying to yourself is pointless.

humanji wrote: »
    Talk semantics all you want. You stole the game, simple as that. Nobody really cares and anyone who judges you isn't really going to impact your life (unless of course it's a legal judge presiding over your case!). Lying to yourself is pointless.

Eh, No its not, They're not a penny out of pocket and I had no intention of buying it in the first place (might have considered if it had multi which was fun) so therefore its not a lost sale........but this is for another thread

• Advertisement

You are taking something without paying for it. You are stealing. Being pedantic about it is pointless. But meh, as you say, it's for another thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This is the definition of Steal from wordnet:
    http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=steal

Taking without owners consent is considered stealing and so you are stealing by pirating.

Piracy itself is definied here:
    http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=pirate&sub=Search+WordNet&o2=&o0=1&o7=&o5=&o1=1&o6=&o4=&o3=&h=

piracy-is-not-theft.jpg

funny,nsfw-ac44e0022a91335c03998bb07daf2b20_h.jpg

I do it myself, but it is stealing. In the same sense you can steal Cable. Not in the sense that you are actually incurring a negative of the victim. If I snuck into Disneyland, I'd be incurring their overheads for ride maintenance and cleanup and all of that shyte. From piracy money is neither lost nor gained and as a result is really fallibly enforced.

You're not stealing the game. You don't even own the games you do buy. You're stealing the jobs of people who put lots of hard work into making good games.

I didnt say it was stealing the game, just stealing. I dont steal The cable, I steal cable. for example. I dont actually steal cable. I pay through the nose for cable. ****ing cable people.

I'm agreeing with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tommylaws

Back to original topic ;-)

How come its released in USA and not Uk yet? :confused:

tommylaws wrote: »
    Back to original topic ;-)

How come its released in USA and not Uk yet? :confused:

Cos Sony own the rights and decided to delay the release here on 360 and Wii

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Any confirmation that the Pc version is ported from the Wii version?

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Any confirmation that the Pc version is ported from the Wii version?

No, that turned out to be BS, the Wii version is terrible graphically, very cartoony. Its ported from one of the other consoles, its hard to know which as it was supposed to be made for the PS3 (Sony) but is graphically much superior on 360. I've not tried it yet so I can't comment on how it looks on pc.

Advertisement