Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJing With Mp3s

• 18-06-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Is this possible on a large scale? I'm thinking of getting either Traktor or Deckadance and say for example I was DJing in a club using a laptop connected to the speaker system, would the expensive speaker system show up the quality of the compressed Mp3s? In other words, would the Mp3's sound bad coming out of the speakers? I am asking this because most of my music collection is in the Mp3 format. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

if the mp3's are 320kbps then they will be grand, anything less then it will be a noticable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Hmm...I have some that are 320, the rest range from 128-256.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

anything other then 320 will sound terrible on a big system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

+1 to what brian27 said, you dont want to be going any lower than 320kbps on a big pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

You might get away with even 192 kps or a HQ VBR RIP, But anything lower you will notice it bigtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'd have to disagree with the above statements - some of the newer algorithms seem to be able to create better 192 and 256 kbps tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Definitely avoid 128 like the plague... 192 should be the bare minimum really, but even then it depends on how well they've been encoded.
    Something done with itunes or WMP will sound like ****e!
    320 or wave is your best bet really to avoid sounding gash, and of course you'll need a decent sound card to boot...

Do you actually own these tunes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

tman wrote: »
    Definitely avoid 128 like the plague... 192 should be the bare minimum really, but even then it depends on how well they've been encoded.
    Something done with itunes or WMP will sound like ****e!
    320 or wave is your best bet really to avoid sounding gash, and of course you'll need a decent sound card to boot...

Do you actually own these tunes?

I own some of them yes, but I only have about 60 CD albums and there are 3,000 MP3's on my hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

how can you tell the kbps on the tracks you have already?

i've gathered a good few over the years and when im playing them i do have to lower some and higher some to get the same quality. i know these ones arn't top notch like but how can i tell exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Táck wrote: »
    how can you tell the kbps on the tracks you have already?

i've gathered a good few over the years and when im playing them i do have to lower some and higher some to get the same quality. i know these ones arn't top notch like but how can i tell exactly?

Right click the MP3, and click properties, then go to the details tab. Scroll down to 'bit rate' and you should see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

ah thanks man, first one i checked is 128...d'oh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

When i had a cheap system, and played stuff on 128 it wasnt noticeable. Plug same laptop into nice pioneer mixer and decent rig and thats a whole different story.

These days, I use a mac book pro running Traktor, usb out of the mac with a Gigaport AG external sound card and play everything at least 256kps.

Big Difference!

Advertisement