Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing during the day

Options
  • 18-06-2009 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi guys, long time reader first time texter (on this forum), I have just returned to flyfishing after a ten year absence, I fish the slaney and i was allways told as a kid that you could only fish at dawn and dusk, was just wondering if this was a hard and fast rule or would it be wasting my time fishing during the day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cookey-1

hi m8 no thats an old wives tale lol i was up yester day if it is a dull day rain as well and a bit of wind then it,s perfect i went up yesterday at 2 pm came home at 7 pm 58 trout cept 21 my son who is lerning had 12 fish

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

Hi,
    I fish the Slaney two or three times a week this time of year.
    Really underrated river IMHO.
    You'll have no bother catching fish during the day.
    A goldhead or weighted nymph fished upstream works best for me.
    In my opinion the bigger fish come out at dusk on the slaney but you will still get plenty of fish during the day if it isnt too bright.
    What stretch are you fishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

eddie12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I fish the Slaney two or three times a week this time of year.
    Really underrated river IMHO.
    You'll have no bother catching fish during the day.
    A goldhead or weighted nymph fished upstream works best for me.
    In my opinion the bigger fish come out at dusk on the slaney but you will still get plenty of fish during the day if it isnt too bright.
    What stretch are you fishing?

Fish from Tullow to clonegal, lots of very small trout, funny you mentioned the gold heads, just bought 2 the other day, would you fish them with a killdevil / coachman any of the old reliables as a dropper, Have you any particular tips to deal with the fast flowing sections

I used to fish around Clonegal a lot when it was open for salmon.
    The trout are small enough down there alright but you do stand a chance of getting a seatrout.
    The brown trout are bigger between Rathvilly and Baltinglass for some reason. The Dereen is good too.
    A goldhead or weighted nymph is really handy fished on a team in fast water. It sinks the team and stops them skating along the surface.
    A good team for the slaney is a goldhead on the point, a killdevil(the old slaney reliable:D) on the middle dropper and a wet sedge on the top dropper. Sizes 14 or 12.
    Personally I always found the real fast water hard going and with smaller trout. I've had better luck fishing pools and behind rocks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

cookey-1 wrote: »
    hi m8 no thats an old wives tale lol i was up yester day if it is a dull day rain as well and a bit of wind then it,s perfect i went up yesterday at 2 pm came home at 7 pm 58 trout cept 21 my son who is lerning had 12 fish

I'm having difficulty reading this post because it's written in some sort of cipher, but I think I'm reading that you kept (with a C) 21 trout?

Fair play to you for catching 58 trout but don't you think that keeping 21 fish is a bit much? Is there no bag limit on whatever river you were fishing? With people like you frequenting rivers there will be no trout left to catch.

• Advertisement

lol m8 yes i kept 21 fish and no i dont think it,s fair because it,s on my own the land and it is a lake 2 miles long all wild fish no stock i dont like fishing for stock any way it was my first day fishing this year and it was a gr8 one

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

lol m8 yes i kept 21 fish and no i dont think it,s fair because it,s on my own the land and it is a lake 2 miles long all wild fish no stock i dont like fishing for stock any way it was my first day fishing this year and it was a gr8 one

there wont be many great days like that keeping 21 WILD fish.thats a complete disgreace:mad:

yes their will because i am the only 1 that fishes it and i might not fish it gain this year but if it bothers you y don't you buy the land off me then you can make it a natur reserve :pac::pac::pac:only messing man thear is a lot of trout in it and as i said no 1 els is alowed in to fish it becaus it is private land i dont allow any 1 to fish it and as i said i might not fish in it agin this year and if i do it will be only 1 or 2 mor times

As much as I'd like to join in the discussion, it's just too much hassle to try read your posts. There are things like full stops (.) commas (,) capital LETTERS etc which are quite useful - they help others make sense of what you type - (at least those of us over 12):rolleyes:

Anyway, I gather you don't like fishing for stock and it was your first day fishing.........wonderful! Glad you enjoyed it. Killing 21 trout in one session is still wrong.

Ok well that's your opinion.Thanks for sharing that with me.Any way i must go thanks for the banter bye.Ops that sounds like i am being a bit rude but i assure you i am not.Ok night ppl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Cookey, It might be your land do you own the rights to the river, but surely you must see killing 21 fish is excessive. The river will be here long after your gone maybe you should think of the future generations who might love to fish that stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Cookey as a fisherman/shooter and also a person who is very interested in wildlife you keeping 21 fish is a disgrace. Absolutly no need for it at all so there not.

Fortunatly judging by the nature of extremely bad english you used id be willing to bet you are just a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cookey -1, no text speak on here please, even if you are coming via a mobile device.

I'm watching this thread very closely, as Stevoman says, could be a troll, but I'll risk letting it live a bit longer

Out of interest - how many of you guys do 'keep' & if so what limits do you set yourself ?

thanks

Personally I keep very few and dont feel the need to take home my bag limit.
    My parents love the odd trout and I'll drop them in a few from time to time.
    It depends on the river or lake I'm fishing really.
    I never take one home from Corrib, Mask or Ennell.
    I'll usually take one or two from Owel or Lough Lene(if I get them).
    Havent caught one on Sheelin in ages and wouldnt take one from there if I did.
    I fish the rivers slaney and greise a lot this time of year.
    The Slaney has heaps of small trout in it and I rarely meet another angler. Every two weeks or so I'll kill four for my parents or if someone has asked me for a fish. I havent killed a slaney seatrout in four years because I think they are getting scarce.
    The Greise has a smaller population of bigger fish and I only take one or two a year(usually bleeders).
    In the past I have given fish to people only to find out they are still in the freezer a year later. This drives me mad altogether.
    When I was younger I must admit that I kept anything over size limit in an effort to prove my fishing prowess but most of us grow up thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I keep very few fish (mainly due to the fact I don't catch any :D ).

I would take the occassional one for my father but that would be the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Two a season, unless I deep hook one and feel it would die. My father moans constantly that I dont take some for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Andip wrote: »
    Cookey -1, no text speak on here please, even if you are coming via a mobile device.

I'm watching this thread very closely, as Stevoman says, could be a troll, but I'll risk letting it live a bit longer

Out of interest - how many of you guys do 'keep' & if so what limits do you set yourself ?

thanks

I don't eat a lot of trout, but sometimes feel like a fish so I'll take a pan sized fish, say 1.5lbs, but that's about 3-5 fish in a season. I probably catch 500 trout of takeable size so thats a keep rate of less than 1%. Would catch another 500 or so smaller fish that all go back. There's a 13-inch limit anyway. Only take wild fish, never fish for stockies.
    I do like salmon and where I fish has a healthy stock with a large quota, so I take 5 or 6 salmon a year, release probably 10-15 depending how lucky I've been...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Andip wrote: »

thanks

I would tend to keep a maximum of about 3 to 4 wildtrout a year. That is a maximum. I have only taken one so far this year.

I am also lucky enough to be a member of a very good fishing lake that is non commcercial and is stocked only once a year with brown trout and they actually taste just as good as their wild cousins. Out of this lake i could possibly take maybe 5 a year also. That would be my limit.

As far as wild trout go i would not take any trout out of the river that was over a !lb in weight as i beleive they they are the breeders. a trout from 3/4 - 1lb will do me the finest.

i have never been lucky enough to catch a Salmon in the Barrow, buy i think i would release it back in as it doesnt hold much of a stock where i am. Its a dream of mine top catch a salmon on the fly. Someday please god!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

stevoman wrote: »
    i have never been lucky enough to catch a Salmon in the Barrow, buy i think i would release it back in as it doesnt hold much of a stock where i am. Its a dream of mine top catch a salmon on the fly. Someday please god!

I would hope you would release it back - the Barrow is closed for salmon fishing! If you want to catch a salmon on the fly come to Galway or Mayo, we'll let you take one home! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

In places where fish are restocked, I take some middle sized fish for the table.

I consider the young ones as the next generation to be protected and the older faster growing ones as valuable genetic (fast growing, longer lived, resistant to disease and predators) properties to pass on, so I'd always return all small and all exceptional fish for that water.

This year I've taken trout from a commercial water (rainbows) and Owel (stocked browns). The rest are all still swimmming around I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

Jesus, this has to be the most derailed thread i ever started :D, You should all be glad your catching them to have the opportunity to keep a few, im getting fed up putting trout back and watching guys walking up the bank with a bag of trout caught with bait rods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 prentice

Dont know the river at all but a general rule is you can fish any time and catch... but maybe not as much as others. It would be a very odd river that wouldnt provide a hatch or two during the day. especially a fine afternoon with no breeze. dry fly city!

Jesus, this has to be the most derailed thread i ever started :D, You should all be glad your catching them to have the opportunity to keep a few, im getting fed up putting trout back and watching guys walking up the bank with a bag of trout caught with bait rods
    As a kid i often got to go dapping blue bottles on a hot calm sunny day would climb a tree and dap theme and my dad would catch live fly,s and i have cought sum big trout at this you should try it it is good sport

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

There are two types of fishermen.On fishies with passion, the other fishies with GREED.What more can i say!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

...getting fed up putting trout back and watching guys walking up the bank with a bag of trout caught with bait rods

I know the feeling. However, if everyone sinks to the level of the lowest, what is the future to be? Crud.
    It's a far better way to put pressure on the lowest level, work on it, and raise it.
    Never give up and accept those who act as if it's their god given right to drag you down. Above all, don't be led into copying them.
    ... I am not hear to argue or nit pick just to chat

Is that a fact ? I don't think so.
    I think you are stirring it.
    And I'm out of this thread, let it sink into obscurity where it belongs.

Last year I kept three trout - three competitions.
    So far this year, one trout killed for the pan. I'm perfectly happy to catch and release and enjoy the fishing, even though "her indoors" is always hounding me for fish.

"Where are the fish?" shes asks when I get home.
    "Still in the river!" is my reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement