Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Pride"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

Reflector wrote: »
    There are many elements to the pride parade, celebration, political, social awareness. But mainly it's a party. A time for gay people who most of the time feel very marginalised to gather en masse and walk through the city.

The parade has evolved over the years and personally I feel that it is more than just a "gay" parade but a celebration of diversity among everyone. To allow everyone to live there lives how they see fit and to not be judged for their differences. This country has seen all it's citizens live under a repressive organisation and should welcome this openeness and ongoing progression of personal freedoms. I see more and more straight people come out and enjoy the parade and I hope this continues to be an element. All the dressing up is a bit of fun and adds a bit of colour and some of it is very artistic and visually stunning. Sure it wouldn't be a parade if it was just jeans and t-shirts.

I do hope that there is some political marches organised as I personally am not happy with the civil unions bill although it does address some issues and some issues for long term co habiting couples.

Apparently there will be in the not too distant future - next rally on August 9th in Dublin:

http://www.gaycork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9070
    http://lgbtnoise.ie/?s=august+9th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The legacy of New York's Stonewall riots in 1969 is Pride, and is mirrored in many cities around the world. Just like the Stonewall riots fought against homophobia and government persecution, Pride stands for the same thing and more. It is a celebration of diversity, of what has been won to date in the way of gay rights, remembering and honoring those who went who before us, being proud of ourselves and those who fought for what we can enjoy today (sometimes taken for granted now), fighting for social and legal equality, and asserting our rightful place in society. It is a multi-faceted cause fighting for a multi-faceted community, for a truly multi-faceted society.

Put away your Abrahamic conditioning. We are as diverse as nature intended. There is variety. Not simply one or the other. The community itself reflects this. And for those who identify as gay internally and criticise Pride goers, it appears to me they have some twisted logic to expect acceptance, or at least tolerance, from society for themselves when they cannot deliver this upon their peers who partake in the Pride Parade: demeaning them because some may be transgendered, dragged up for the day, or simply blowing whistles and waving banners. Shame on you! If you want change in the world then you BE that change in the world! The people who march and support this do it for themselves, their peers, and in turn their gay peers who begrudge them also. It is people like them from the past who have steered our society and culture to a place where you feel it is ok to be gay now, at least more ok than it had been before.

It is a lack of understanding that leads to the criticism or bewilderment from some straight people. The Pride event make us visible for at least one day of the year, showing those that we do not feel ashamed, that we are like they themslves; people's mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, cousins, colleagues, and they are that to us whether they know it or not. That we are all the same, and just like them we want to freely enjoy the experience of love without persecution.

While there are gay people on so many shows on TV now it does not make it any easier to walk down the street hand in hand with your partner when you are subjected to public ridicule, humiliation, discrimination, physcial attacks. If my partner is comfortable to do so I will always hold hands with him in public, and sometimes kiss, but, I have myself been physically attacked a few times (though it hasn't stopped me). Yes, it is sad that more people do not feel comfortable enough to to this the other 364 days, but this is why. So, whether you're gay or straight, do not be so mean spirited to criticise those who choose to do it on the one day of the year they feel that are able to without fear. Straight folk be be very supportive, which is always welcome, but they will NEVER know what it is like to be persecuted, to hide themselves, live in denial, live in misery, live in fear. You will never be persecuted for showing affection to your partner in public. You didn't have to fight for the rights you enjoy and take for granted.

I myself have never been ashamed for who or what I am. I am ashamed however of a government that goes little in the way of tackling homphobia and hate crimes, a government that gives a hollow Relationship and Sexuality Education curriculum, that has created a teaching culture where teachers bully gay students thus encouraging other students to do the same, a government so arrogant to ignore some of it's voting electorate and treat them as second class citizens.

This is why Pride still has a purpose. And as the Grand Dame Panti aptly said, 'Get out of the way or we'll march through you!' There is alot to be proud of and much to fight for still.

I am proud for myself and the community every day of the year. I was even more Proud on Saturday.

This is a wonderful post but I do think it's a shame that it is unreggie or maybe that is part of the point of it, that even on this site people are careful about being 'Out' due to how people will react to them and dismiss them.

Yes a lot of those who are in thier mid 20s and younger don't know what it was like in this country when condoms machines were illegal and so was homosexuality. In that demographic being gay is often not such a big issues thier parents may be accepting of it and thier friends but that is not the case for many of us and for many young people around the country.

Eaten bread is soon forgotten any many young people don't know the of the struggles which brought about the things they enjoy and take for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thaedydal wrote: »
    This is a wonderful post but I do think it's a shame that it is unreggie or maybe that is part of the point of it, that even on this site people are careful about being 'Out' due to how people will react to them and dismiss them.

Sorry, I myself am out, and couldn't care less what people think about it. There was no intention behind my post being unregistered - I just couldn't remember my old log in details. But thanks. :)

Kristian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I have to say, as a pretty closeted teen, Pride was beyond anything I could have imagined. I can count the number of LGB I know on both hands (I don't know any T's). The fact there were 12,000 people there was so amazing to know. It sounds stupid, but it hadn't even crossed my mind there were that many gay people in Ireland.

It was also great just getting to see couples and families. I have only ever once seen a same sex couple holding hands in public. Until last year, I had never met a same sex couple raising a kid. Seeing normal people, couples, families is a really, really great feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Trance

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8134651.stm

One of the most viewed news channels in the world.

Advertisement