Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One in four South African men are rapists

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

amacachi wrote: »
    Just like how no-one will admit that Rhodesia, despite all the trade and diplomatic barriers erected against it, was better than Zimbabwe today. Indeed it was better than probably any Sub-Saharan country today, and I don't just mean for the landowners.
    It was. Morally unjustifiable though...
    K-9 wrote: »
    Do elaborate? Please do.

You've got a country where the president's a rapist. Senior political figures (including the president) consider aids something treatable with a shower. It's a commonly held belief that raping a virgin girl will cure AIDS.

Now I'm not saying De Klerk et al were good people, far fcuking from it, they were racist cnuts, and as I've oft quoted an ex - apartheid's the only Dutch word the whole world knows - apartheid was evil, but South Africa as a country has suffered in recent years. It's become much more violent and dangerous than it was. That's undeniable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mousey- wrote: »
    LOL 1 in 4 isnt a rapist in japan....

they made a computer game about stalking women

They also have games about raping poeple and molesting poeple. ALso you can make people have an abortion in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You've got a country where the president's a rapist. Senior political figures (including the president) consider aids something treatable with a shower. It's a commonly held belief that raping a virgin girl will cure AIDS.

Those type of conditions are where female genital mutilation thrives, that is the other scary side of it. Men will want to marry a virgin thinks she won't have aids and will demand that their bride's virginity by proven protected by the fact her labia have been sew shut for him to cut open on the wedding night and it is seen as a way to protect girls from rape as a family having the money to have that done to a girl gives her status and she is less likely to be raped.

Hard to say which is worse being gang raped or having your outer lips cuts off and your clitoris sometimes with broken glass and then the the inner lips sew shut while your mother, aunts and other women hold you down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Now I'm not saying De Klerk et al were good people, far fcuking from it, they were racist cnuts, and as I've oft quoted an ex - apartheid's the only Dutch word the whole world knows - apartheid was evil, but South Africa as a country has suffered in recent years. It's become much more violent and dangerous than it was. That's undeniable.

So DeKlerk and co were racists?
    Whata bout Nelson Mandella and the ANC with thier "One settler,one bullet" philosopy?
    They left the country to majority rule and within ten years it was a violent,crime filled pigsty having pissed away any chance of prosperity and now cities like jo'burg are no-go areas for whites.
    But of course the whites who m ade the country prosperous were racists,the blacks who attack the whites and turn the place in to a hellhole are decent sorts who will return the country to its former glory,just like what happened in Zimbabwe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFj0HdW2iDs&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC8qQE4Y2Js

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

DTrotter wrote: »
    Hadn't a couple high level government official some real dodgy views on AIDs also?

Think it was their prime minister or something...

Did it with a women he know had aids... but said "It's fine i had a shower afterwards"

their really is a scary lack of info about Aids and STI's in general around Africa, not just SA.

- Drav!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

If only South Africa had oil.... New World's brave leader Mr. Bush would have sorted this out a very long time ago..!

< / sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i simply dont believe those statistics.while there is undoubtedly a higher incidence of rape in s.a. (i visited jo'burg a couple of times last year and heard some horrible stroies about house invasions) , i dont believe that one in 4 s.a.males is a rapist.
    it says in the bbc reprt that and electronic survey was used,to protect anonymity,but it doesn't give any other details of how ,where or who responded to the survey.
    i dont believe the stats is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Those type of conditions are where female genital mutilation thrives, that is the other scary side of it. Men will want to marry a virgin thinks she won't have aids and will demand that their bride's virginity by proven protected by the fact her labia have been sew shut for him to cut open on the wedding night and it is seen as a way to protect girls from rape as a family having the money to have that done to a girl gives her status and she is less likely to be raped.

Hard to say which is worse being gang raped or having your outer lips cuts off and your clitoris sometimes with broken glass and then the the inner lips sew shut while your mother, aunts and other women hold you down.

I've read a few articles about this ****.
    Jesus it's completely fubar :( :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Apparently it my be common among African communities in Britain too.

This black journalist backs the documentary.
    He says that when he was young
    I knew the terrain well. Gang rape was part of the urban culture in which I grew up. I entered my teens in a working-class ghetto in Port of Spain, peopled by gangs based on the Diggers and Stompers of America. I was a Style-Cramper and a Law-Breaker. Other gangs were Spike Jones and the Fallen Angels, the Apple Jackers and Sun Valley. We fought each other over teenage loves and territory. Gang rape initiated male virgins into sex. And if you didn't share, the others would take your girlfriend away.

My girlfriend was called Betty. There was no place to be private except a disused building. I took her there one night and the gang moved in. I went with her to the police station and gave a list of names. I was determined to put my mates to the sword. There was no anti-racist movement through which I interpreted this social behaviour, nor any feminist movement. As far as I was concerned, it was the culture of the brute.
    Even Finglas isn't that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

It was a very unfortunate typo. 1 in 4 men consider gang rap to be a form of male bonding. Just like D-12 or So Solid Crew.

Personally, I'm not into all that modern bonding. A good ol' circle jerk was how we did it in my day.

There are no africans in finglas but white kids trying to copy thier "culture".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

AH is not the place for rape jokes folks. Nobody wants to see it and action will be taken.

Of course nobody wants to see it, but jokes are funny. If you can't take a joke there's no hope for you

But yeah Africa is obviously waaay diff than Ireland so obviously we are more shocked about this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Of course nobody wants to see it, but jokes are funny. If you can't take a joke there's no hope for you

But yeah Africa is obviously waaay diff than Ireland so obviously we are more shocked about this

What has being Irish have to do with it. I presume any decent person would be shocked by it. Seriously messed up. But is it lack of education or a sort of peer pressure?

Puddleduck wrote: »
    What has being Irish have to do with it. I presume any decent person would be shocked by it. Seriously messed up. But is it lack of education or a sort of peer pressure?

Its the way of things over there..no amount of education is going to change that sort of mindset.

I cant believe there havnt been Irish apologists creeping out of the woodwork trying to justify that behaviour yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

its the white mans fault

• Advertisement

wudangclan wrote: »
    i simply dont believe those statistics.while there is undoubtedly a higher incidence of rape in s.a. (i visited jo'burg a couple of times last year and heard some horrible stroies about house invasions) , i dont believe that one in 4 s.a.males is a rapist.
    it says in the bbc reprt that and electronic survey was used,to protect anonymity,but it doesn't give any other details of how ,where or who responded to the survey.
    i dont believe the stats is all.

I'm sure that comforts all the women being raped o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually, haven't had a chance to read the original piece yet, just read re-reported versions of it - are there any racial demographics associated with that? Considering that most of those who have emigrated from SA in recent times have been white (something like 25% of the white population? Or is that a statistic i've made up somewhere) just makes me wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Degsy wrote: »
    Its the way of things over there..no amount of education is going to change that sort of mindset.

I cant believe there havnt been Irish apologists creeping out of the woodwork trying to justify that behaviour yet!

That doesnt explain how ministers and politicians think that if you rape a virgin itll cure AIDS. I presume a minister/politician would have had some kind of education so is it just not shouted loud enough?

Seriously sick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

PaulieD wrote: »
    Are the four of you South African. Read the threads title "One in four South African Men are rapists" not "One in four men who lived in South Africa are rapists".

And even then it's 1 in 4 of the sample taken...not 1 in 4 SA men as pointed out earlier..
    What saddens me most of all is the frightening degree to which people ignore the issue, because no-one wants to admit that apartheid-era South Africa was in anyway superior to non-racist South Africa.

One person's racism is another's "affirmative action". Very easily argued that South Africa is still racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

They left the country to majority rule and within ten years it was a violent,crime filled pigsty having pissed away any chance of prosperity and now cities like jo'burg are no-go areas for whites.

It may be a shock to you, but it was always a crime ridden pigsty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I used to work in an emergency department in south africa. I dealt with more rape victims in there than I have in the entire rest of my career. Literally dozens a day.

They said to me that girls in SA have more chance of being raped than learning to read.

But I have no doubt that the EXACT same thing would happen in Ireland given the same circumstances. Look at Johannesburg. Literally lawless. If you rape a woman, the chances of being caught are practically zero. Same with murdering someone.

You drive around all day pissed and you'll never be caught. You don't stop at traffic lights, or you'll get car jacked.

The poverty is phenomenal.

A huge proportion of blokes end up in gangs. If you're not in a gang, you're very exposed. People will literally shoot you dead for a cigarette.

If the gang tells you you're all going out to get some girls, you go. You get drugged up. Girls get raped. It doesn't matter what age they are. Youngest I saw was a few weeks old and was left in a bin.

You have to understand the sheer depravity of the environment. But the reality is this is not unique to Africa. Most war zones are lawless, so rape is endemic. I'm going to Papua new guinea in a month or 2 on a HIV programme. Was reading some of their stats the other day, and the estimate is that 40% of women get raped. What do they have in common with south africa? lawlessness and poverty.

What did the Irish clergy have in common with the above? Virtual legal immunity.

It's ****ed up, and it makes me mad even thinking about it. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking this wouldn't happen in ireland under the right circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Indeed, as many RACISTS will cease upon things like this to prove " a point ".
    You mean "sieze upon" ?

You mean "sieze upon" ?

No, he meant "seize upon".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Its obviously very common in SA, even if those stats are off or not (I don't know) I do know that SA is a scary place, I went on a trade mission with Enterprise Ireland last year and was told not to step away from our security detail at any time, if I wanted to leave the hotel they would provide a driver and a "guide". Pretty freaky stuff.

It is obviously no where near as common over here in Europe,but is that because we are more civilised?
    When I read the thread the first time, before the lock, I was just about to post that having read the BBC article, it reminded me (in a wierd, off tangent way) of how premiership footballers "bond", but they call it roasting.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Well poverty and rape are correlated. And the fact that its ignored mostly isn't going to reduce the number is it?

How do you make that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

WindSock wrote: »
    Well there you have it. It's rampant everywhere, but still deemed abnormal.
    wat?

To clarify, this is what I mean...

tallaght01 wrote: »
    It's ****ed up, and it makes me mad even thinking about it. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking this wouldn't happen in ireland under the right circumstances.

It's very fcked up, by abnormal I mean rare.
    It's not rare. It can just as easily happen in any country. I think I'll have to purchase a weapon.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Most war zones are lawless, so rape is endemic

So what war is being waged in South Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Your subscription to the most exaggerated of stereotypes never fails to amuse me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The point I was making is that SA in the parts were rape is endemic is lawless. That's what it has in common with a war zone.

BUt let' be realistic..when I was there, it was the busiest A+E in the world. Moreso than most war zones. Iraq took it's place a while ago. There's certainly as much violence there as in some civil wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I'd say education is exactly what's required. But more than anything it's money.

Poverty is implicated in this, even if it's not the root cause, it's a barrier to overcoming the endemic.

If there isn't enough money to provide a proper education system people will never learn the truth about AIDS etc.
    If there isn't enough money to provide medicine people will try other ways of curing AIDS in desperation.
    Money is needed to mobilise discourses powerful enough to begin to offset a curtural perception (through education, media, campaigns, studies, government policy making etc)
    Where poverty is rampant teenagers are always going to wind up in gangs and turn to criminal activities, whether for money, protection or something to do.

It's a result of appalling socio-economic conditions that has become intertwined with culture.

• Advertisement

I'd say education is exactly what's required. But more than anything it's money.

Poverty is implicated in this, even if it's not the root cause, it's a barrier to overcoming the endemic.

If there isn't enough money to provide a proper education system people will never learn the truth about AIDS etc.
    If there isn't enough money to provide medicine people will try other ways of curing AIDS in desperation.
    Money is needed to mobilise discourses powerful enough to begin to offset a curtural perception (through education, media, campaigns, studies, government policy making etc)
    Where poverty is rampant teenagers are always going to wind up in gangs and turn to criminal activities, whether for money, protection or something to do.

It's a result of appalling socio-economic conditions that has become intertwined with culture.

So rich people dont commit rape????

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Do you deliberately misinterpret people and put words in their mouths for kicks? You can see what he's saying. Stop pretending you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

Um Bongo wrote: »
    In caveman times, men that went around raping women would've left behind more offspring than those that didn't. In the long run, men with desires to rape became the most numerous in the population.

True story.
    We know practically nothing about what happened in "caveman times".

True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

People will make all sorts of excuses for barbaric practises. In this case, it's a 'cultural' thing. What a load of nonsense. I pity the poor victims. Rapists should be castrated, then we'd have a better statistic like two out of every eight balls removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, makes Bertie look ethical.

I suppose you have take account that these issues where there under apartheid and completely covered up. You'd have to compare the rape statistics from the 2 eras and see has it improved or not. Might be an impossible task.

So DeKlerk and co were racists?
    Whata bout Nelson Mandella and the ANC with thier "One settler,one bullet" philosopy?
    But of course the whites who m ade the country prosperous were racists,the blacks who attack the whites and turn the place in to a hellhole are decent sorts who will return the country to its former glory,just like what happened in Zimbabwe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFj0HdW2iDs&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC8qQE4Y2Js

I think some S. African whites from that era relish the way SA is now, in a "told you so, them blacks can't run anything" type of way.

There are huge problems in the country relating to poverty and lack of education, some if because of apartheid, some of it not helped by apartheid.

On the Aids issue, that was only starting to be a problem at the end of the apartheid days. I wonder how De Klerk and co would have dealt with it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Puddleduck wrote: »

I'm saying some people in Africa live like animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Is Port of Spain not in Trinidad, dude?
    General decline of law and order rather than a war. Has all the symptoms of a war zone without the war.
    Jaysus, makes Bertie look ethical.

I suppose you have take account that these issues where there under apartheid and completely covered up. You'd have to compare the rape statistics from the 2 eras and see has it improved or not. Might be an impossible task.
    Bertie's not evil, just grubby.

Apartheid probably did cover it up, but the population's gotten poorer since then, and hasn't the population gone up a lot too in poor areas? Especially with immigrants fleeing trouble in Zimbabwe etc.

I think some S. African whites from that era relish the way SA is now, in a "told you so, them blacks can't run anything" type of way.

There are huge problems in the country relating to poverty and lack of education, some if because of apartheid, some of it not helped by apartheid.

On the Aids issue, that was only starting to be a problem at the end of the apartheid days. I wonder how De Klerk and co would have dealt with it?

I used to play WoW (yeah I know ><) and one of the lads we played with was South African and every day at exactly the same time he'd disconnect because the power would fail and he'd have to go turn on his generator.

He was a proud Afrikaaner and hated the rulers of his country. And to be honest, it was hard to blame him. Apartheid may have been a factor in the trouble, but for example, Thabo Mbeki (spelling?) was very well educated. He ignored all this and allowed it to happen. That's not apartheid's fault tbh. It's too easy for us to blame apartheid and then ignore the current administration which does even less to stop these problems.

Porkpie wrote: »
    People will make all sorts of excuses for barbaric practises. In this case, it's a 'cultural' thing. What a load of nonsense. I pity the poor victims. Rapists should be castrated, then we'd have a better statistic like two out of every eight balls removed.

It's not a matter of excuses, it's a matter of finding the roots of something. The question is why it became a cultural thing, and how to undo this, and what the barriers are to undoing it.

While the fear of castration would most likely reduce the number of rapes if it was a legitimate threat this would not address the circumstances that created the conditions that allow it to perpetuate.

As well as this, the fear of consequences such as castration should not be the reason people don't rape, but rather knowing that it's not ok to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm saying some people in Africa live like animals
    All they do is sleep, and eat, and mate, and sleep, and mate...where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Poverty, lack of education, cultural practice, political culture, the belief that deflowering a virgin will cure AIDS, social norms among men in South Africa, may all have something to do with it.

I was discussing this with someone at lunchtime, and they blamed the colonialists, as in a 'It's our collective fault that one in four South Africans are rapists'.

I don't want to play devil's advocate here - wait, actually I do - but is there a huge elephant in the room in this particular thread? Like a factor that everyone is thinking of, but no-one dare mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

markesmith wrote: »
    I don't want to play devil's advocate here - wait, actually I do - but is there a huge elephant in the room in this particular thread? Like a factor that everyone is thinking of, but no-one dare mention?

What for fear Jakkass will come romping into the thread? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

Apartheid ended 27 April 1994

Todays date 19 June 2009

15 years ago.

but, lets blame it on apartheid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bertie's not evil, just grubby.

Apartheid probably did cover it up, but the population's gotten poorer since then, and hasn't the population gone up a lot too in poor areas? Especially with immigrants fleeing trouble in Zimbabwe etc.

I used to play WoW (yeah I know ><) and one of the lads we played with was South African and every day at exactly the same time he'd disconnect because the power would fail and he'd have to go turn on his generator.

He was a proud Afrikaaner and hated the rulers of his country. And to be honest, it was hard to blame him. Apartheid may have been a factor in the trouble, but for example, Thabo Mbeki (spelling?) was very well educated. He ignored all this and allowed it to happen. That's not apartheid's fault tbh. It's too easy for us to blame apartheid and then ignore the current administration which does even less to stop these problems.

I'm sure some sections of its society are poorer and I'm sure some sections are better off. After the initial euphoria calmed down they had to deal with the normal, everyday political problems of running a country, which in fairness are far worse than we can contemplate. It's grand slating them from a distance but they are faced with huge social and economic problems.

The wealth which was in the hands of a few has now to be spread around all. In that way it's unfair to compare apartheid days to now. It really is a different country now that what it was.

The electricity point would be related to that as well. Would be nice to think that there's a magical fix, but it will take decades to make it a supposed 1st World country again. So yes, blame the current Govt., but the symtoms of Apartheid are going to be there for decades. It's similar to NI, only on a far worse scale.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

the belief that deflowering a virgin will cure AIDS

That one's true though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

What, that apartheid may have kept the numbers of rapes / rapists down or something? Or kept the fact that this was happening suppressed?

I doubt it.

I'd either have expected it to be spun as "1 in 4 blacks are rapists, that's why we need to be in charge", or kept quiet on a "we're maintaining law and order" theme.

Or do you mean something else?

TheCaveman wrote: »

Todays date 19 June 2009

15 years ago.

15 years isn't a very long time at all, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

TheCaveman wrote: »

Todays date 19 June 2009

15 years ago.

Noones laying the blame wholly on apartheid, but it is a factor. The whole damn place is a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Apartheid has feck all to do with it. The apartheid leaders would've handed over in their own time if given the chance. Perhaps I'm alone but I reckon most of them (I'm basing this on Zimbabwe, know more about it than SA) had good intentions. They were very flawed and had some ideals that don't work now, but they seemed to genuinely be trying to do the best for all the people of country, yes putting themselves first, but not leaving everywhere else to rot.
    But yeah, instead the whites were pressured out and people who had no idea how to run anything were brought in. Look at Mbeki FFS, HIV doesn't cause AIDS. Few hundred thousand died early thanks to that. But hey, beats not being allowed vote.

amacachi wrote: »
    Apartheid has feck all to do with it. The apartheid leaders would've handed over in their own time if given the chance. Perhaps I'm alone but I reckon most of them (I'm basing this on Zimbabwe, know more about it than SA) had good intentions. They were very flawed and had some ideals that don't work now, but they seemed to genuinely be trying to do the best for all the people of country, yes putting themselves first, but not leaving everywhere else to rot.
    But yeah, instead the whites were pressured out and people who had no idea how to run anything were brought in. Look at Mbeki FFS, HIV doesn't cause AIDS. Few hundred thousand died early thanks to that. But hey, beats not being allowed vote.

Wait, so your say that Apartheid, a system that kept black people poor and uneducated, has NOTHING to do with the current generation of south africans (most of whom would have been of schoolin' age while apartheid was still on the go) being uneducated.

Wow

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement