Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One in four South African men are rapists

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

People don't realise that very little has actually changed since apartheid was abolished. While there may be a larger number of rich non-whites, the disparity still exists. Something like that doesn't just disappear, and certainly not in a place so economically f***ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wait, so your say that Apartheid, a system that kept black people poor and uneducated, has NOTHING to do with the current generation of south africans (most of whom would have been of schoolin' age while apartheid was still on the go) being uneducated.

Wow

How far back do we what to go? Yes apartheid has something to do with it, it's the way it was put to an end that's the problem.

But hey, can't blame the current leaders or people for their current stupidity, denial and lack of will to do anything to change the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

How many South African males reside here? The figure who admitted to rape is 31%, that is closer to 1 in 3. Once they land in Dublin airport their urges dont change.

Why are we importing such a problem here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

PaulieD wrote: »
    How many South African males reside here? The figure who admitted to rape is 31%, that is closer to 1 in 3. Once they land in Dublin airport their urges dont change.

The fact that they want to get out of SA means they want to escape the violence and crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

Once they are having fun though , i cant see a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not many.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The fact that they want to get out of SA means they want to escape the violence and crime

Not at all, the want to come to europe to earn more money. It is a frightening statistic and I think it needs to be brought up, how many South African males are in Ireland? What steps are we taking to issue the problem? Background checks? HIV tests? Nope, as the liberals deem that racist.

Lunacy on stilts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

amacachi wrote: »
    Apartheid has feck all to do with it. The apartheid leaders would've handed over in their own time if given the chance. Perhaps I'm alone but I reckon most of them (I'm basing this on Zimbabwe, know more about it than SA) had good intentions. They were very flawed and had some ideals that don't work now, but they seemed to genuinely be trying to do the best for all the people of country, yes putting themselves first, but not leaving everywhere else to rot.
    But yeah, instead the whites were pressured out and people who had no idea how to run anything were brought in. Look at Mbeki FFS, HIV doesn't cause AIDS. Few hundred thousand died early thanks to that. But hey, beats not being allowed vote.

The apartheid leaders had the best intentions? I agree, they had the best intentions for themselves and to ensure that the whites remained in affluent areas and also in the best jobs. I will state that once apartheid ended, affirmative action was not the best way to move forward, as certain roles were taken over by blacks who were not educated enough and/or did not have the relevant qualifications.

Going back to the apartheid, not only were the blacks kept down, but so were the coloureds, Indians and every other ethnic minority in the country, e.g. separate train carriages for different races, living areas designated by race, forced removal from homes etc.

There is very detailed and accurate information regarding Apartheid here.

Over 4,000 South African males as per the census. Or, if the figures are to be believed, 1,000 rapists.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The apartheid leaders had the best intentions? I agree, they had the best intentions for themselves and to ensure that the whites remained in affluent areas and also in the best jobs. I will state that once apartheid ended, affirmative action was not the best way to move forward, as certain roles were taken over by blacks who were not educated enough and/or did not have the relevant qualifications.

Going back to the apartheid, not only were the blacks kept down, but so were the coloureds, Indians and every other ethnic minority in the country, e.g. separate train carriages for different races, living areas designated by race, forced removal from homes etc.

There is very detailed and accurate information regarding Apartheid here.

Like I said I was basing it on Rhodesia/Zimbabwe moreso than SA, I'm assuming there were similarities. Rhodesia for example had the best rates of adult literacy and healthcare for Blacks of any african country despite the fact that the whites were supposedly only running it for their own benefit. But sure the people are better off now, they can vote in rigged elections while earning millions of dollars and not get any medication for AIDS, fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm sure that comforts all the women being raped o.O

it's not supposed to.

wudangclan wrote: »
    it's not supposed to.

It was a silly comment by yourself, rape is a heinous crime. Yet you and your ilk make excuses for it. I sincerely hope nobody you care about suffers rape.

It was a silly comment by yourself, rape is a heinous crime. Yet you and your ilk make excuses for it. I sincerely hope nobody you care about suffers rape.

what the fu(k are you on about?
    i made a comment saying i didn't believe the stats.
    that implies i support people being raped.???
    me and my ilk??

what the fu(k are you on about?
    i made a comment saying i didn't believe the stats.
    that implies i support people being raped.???
    me and my ilk??

You dont believe the results, why ever not? It is a fact that rape is epidemic in Africa. Oh, I forgot you can never say a bad word about Africans otherwise you are an evil vile racist.

The figure is wrong it is not 1 in 4, it is 31% of South Africans admitted that they committed rape. How many did not? The 31% figure is closure to 1 in 3. Astonishing.

Blame apartheid, blame whitey, blame whatever you want, but the fact is it is time for africans to take responsibility for their own actions. No more excuses.

that's correct i don't believe the results.i'm not denying there is an epidemic but i don't believe that its carried out by one male in 4
    You dont believe the results, why ever not? It is a fact that rape is epidemic in Africa. Oh, I forgot you can never say a bad word about Africans otherwise you are an evil vile racist.

whether it's africa or not has no bearing on the fact that that it was an anonymous ,electronic survey.these things have a tendency to result in confirmation bias i.e. in this case proportionally more people who had raped respond to the survey thus skewing the results (imo)
    Blame apartheid, blame whitey, blame whatever you want, but the fact is it is time for africans to take responsibility for their own actions. No more excuses.

i'm not blaming anybody for anything and i don't feel the entire african continent should be held to account for the situation in south africa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

The figure is wrong it is not 1 in 4, it is 31% of South Africans admitted that they committed rape. How many did not? The 31% figure is closure to 1 in 3. Astonishing.

Stormfront is that way mate.

Most of the South Africans who admitted to rape are more than likely too poor to ever be able to come to Ireland. Its not an African problem its a poverty problem. Rape figures are high because most of the country lives in absolute squalor and is uneducated. You put some Irish in the same situation and I gaurantee you would see the same figures if you think North Inner city conditions are bad you should take a trip to the Johannesburg slums. You make people live like animals they will behave like animals, skin colour doesnt come into it.

Stormfront is that way mate.

Out comes the race card. Yawn. There is a rape epidimic in africa. That is a fact, I fail to see how pointing that out is racist.

these things have a tendency to result in confirmation bias i.e. in this case proportionally more people who had raped respond to the survey thus skewing the results (imo)

I dunno, if I were an uneducated rapist and lived in squalor and noticed an "anonymous" survey as to whether I'd raped someone I'd say I'd be a little suspicious and be more likely to stay away.

I dunno, if I were an uneducated rapist and lived in squalor and noticed an "anonymous" survey as to whether I'd raped someone I'd say I'd be a little suspicious and be more likely to stay away.

my point being there's no indication as to how exactly it was carried out,other than the implication that respondees would be anonymous.
    it's like the survey here about who had depression.the thread title was more likely to attract people who had suffered from depression ,who respond to the survey and you end up with skewed results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Out comes the race card. Yawn. There is a rape epidimic in africa. That is a fact, I fail to see how pointing that out is racist.

Maybe because you are implying its because of their race that the rape is so high?

You put Irish people in the same conditions as most Africans live in and you would see the same figures.

my point being there's no indication as to how exactly it was carried out,other than the implication that respondees would be anonymous.
    it's like the survey here about who had depression.the thread title was more likely to attract people who had suffered from depression ,who respond to the survey and you end up with skewed results.

Yeah but I can't see a poll where you admit to a criminal action being skewed by confirmation bias. Location and time of day perhaps.

Yeah but I can't see a poll where you admit to a criminal action being skewed by confirmation bias. Location and time of day perhaps.

i meant that perhaps more rapees than proportionally represented respond.

location and time of day?

i meant that perhaps more rapees than proportionally represented respond.

location and time of day?

The survey is of men, whether they had raped someone or not, not of men/women having been raped.

Yes, time and location. After 6pm there's not going to be too many upper class people about, same with location. Go into the CBD of one of the cities around 2 o'clock and I'm sure the result of a similar poll would be around 0%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

All they do is sleep, and eat, and mate, and sleep, and mate rape...where do I sign up?

fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Could someone tell me all the African countries that have improved since the evil white man was kicked out of government ?

It must be a really really really long list but take your time and include them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Could someone tell me all the African countries that have improved since the evil white man was kicked out of government ?

It must be a really really really long list but take your time and include them all.

1) Libya
    2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You put Irish people in the same conditions as most Africans live in and you would see the same figures.

But we used to and you didnt.
    100 years ago dublin had the worst slums in europe.
    Did one in four men commit rape?Was it an endemic part of thier culture?
    150 years ago one third of the irish people either starved to death or were forced to emmigrate to escape starvation.
    Did the men commit rape on a massive scale?
    What about the disgusting conditions some people are still forced to live in in this country...do one in four men commit rape as a result?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Morlar wrote: »
    1) Libya
    2)
    P

Prosperous,peacefull and ably run by the madman Colonel Ghaddafi.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Libya

Degsy wrote: »
    Prosperous,peacefull and ably run by the madman Colonel Ghaddafi.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Libya

You have a go at finding one that has improved since a white government left- it is not as easy as it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dvpower wrote: »
    Getting your retaliation in early?
    It was irony, dude.
    Are the four of you South African. Read the threads title "One in four South African Men are rapists" not "One in four men who lived in South Africa are rapists".

Next up, A B C D ......
    Oh well, their nationality, no other factors, must be what makes them rapists. :rolleyes:
    K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness, "its all the white mans fault " probably has more credence than the "its all the Unionists fault " in NI.
    Most of what led to the campaign of violence WAS unionists' fault.
    What saddens me most of all is the frightening degree to which people ignore the issue, because no-one wants to admit that apartheid-era South Africa was in anyway superior to non-racist South Africa.

Those are terrifying statistics, and to be honest, nearly every South African I've ever known who could afford to has left if they're young enough not to have families, etc.
    It was "superior" in terms of safety, but at a horrific cost.
    So DeKlerk and co were racists?
    Yes.
    Whata bout Nelson Mandella and the ANC with thier "One settler,one bullet" philosopy?
    Yes - and an outcome that was to be expected, no? Are you saying YOU wouldn't feel compelled to retaliate if you were treated the way blacks were treated in South Africa?
    But of course the whites who m ade the country prosperous were racists
    Yeah, the whites who propagated the apartheid system were indeed racists.
    the blacks who attack the whites and turn the place in to a hellhole are decent sorts who will return the country to its former glory,just like what happened in Zimbabwe.
    Who the **** said that? Yes, there are violent black people making life for white people a misery in South Africa today... that doesn't somehow retrospectively "lessen" the hideousness of apartheid though.
    I cant believe there havnt been Irish apologists creeping out of the woodwork trying to justify that behaviour yet!
    Erm... I can believe it - you won't get much people justifying rape. Being of the view colonialism sows the seeds for appalling behaviour by those who lived under it, hardly means being of the view such behaviour is acceptable.
    Porkpie wrote: »
    People will make all sorts of excuses for barbaric practises. In this case, it's a 'cultural' thing. What a load of nonsense. I pity the poor victims.
    It IS cultural - saying something's cultural isn't necessarily putting a positive spin on it. There are many negative cultural practices.
    TheCaveman wrote: »
    Apartheid ended 27 April 1994

Todays date 19 June 2009

15 years ago.

but, lets blame it on apartheid.
    15 years is **** all...
    Apartheid has feck all to do with it.
    You are wrong.

LOL - yes, they'll go on raping rampages once they arrive here, because they did so in South Africa and a change of environment/culture/society will make no difference. They're South African so automatically rapists... :rolleyes:
    rape is a heinous crime. Yet you and your ilk make excuses for it.
    Who the **** here made excuses for rape? Show me the offending posts - I'm gonna report them. Oh wait, no. Nobody made excuses for rape - you just want them to. Good work.
    Actually no. Nobody has said anything about negative commentary here being racist - it's more a case of certain people WANTING them to/pretending they have done so.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Actually no. Nobody has said anything about negative commentary here being racist - it's more a case of certain people WANTING them to/pretending they have done so.

Indeed, the I'm so unpc it's cool brigade.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Okay. Somebody explain to me, why does a survey of black men in south africa yield the result that 1 in 4 men either rape regularly or have ever raped somebody before? There isn't a system of apartheid down there anymore so they are free to live without white oppression. Any unemployment and poverty problems etc that have arisen after the white farmers etc left is their own fault and they have a responsibility to deal with it themselves. Poverty is never an excuse for groups of family mambers and friends to habitually rape baby girls or anybody for that matter. Absolute scum of the earth.

As Degsy said, Dublin of 100 years ago was city of squalid poverty. Never have I heard before, however, that the place was rife with rapists? So why id the situation of (self-induced) poverty in SA leading to the sub-human actions of these monsters? Did this stuff go on in 1700's Europe and before that, when basically everybody lived a life of poverty?

Seems to be a cultural thing. Why is the poverty "self-induced" though?

It couldnt be a 'black' thing could it ?

I would imagine that any country with an unemployment figure in the mid 20's has massive structural problems. And it is not the responsibility of other countries to fix another countries structural problems. So, because they lack the capability to fix things themselves, it's their fault things are fcuked up down there.

Can anybody inform me as to what the economy of SA was like while apartheid was in operation? Was it better or worse than it is now? I'm a bit young...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Dudess.

Seriousely - how many years did you spend in South Africa?

How much do you know about the country and culture?

Do you even know what Apartheid means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I know 4 South Africans, oh feck.:eek:

We're on one and counting ( a country that discovered huge oil reserves and is ruled by a military dictator) .....

Come on guys there must be loads more.

Hazys wrote: »
    One in four women raped, one in ten men raped...at least there is an upside if we don't qualify for the World Cup.

SA has got very fd up since Mandela is gone. Their new president Zuma went to court over raping a memeber of his family and one of his first comments after being found innocent was "wearing that dress, she was asking for it".

Also 50% of the people who voted for him believed he was guilty but still voted for him :eek:

Even though I don't like the man, or his politics, please don't make coments like this unless you know and understand the truth.

How many South African males live in Ireland? Their urges dont go once they enter Dublin airport you know.

If I knew how to 'report a post', I would!

This is uncalled for!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's one of the most retarded things I've ever read - ever. Press the red and white triangle thingie below your username - that's how you report a post.
    Morlar wrote: »
    It couldnt be a 'black' thing could it ?
    I said it seems to be a cultural thing - same thing, no?
    well horse wrote: »
    I would imagine that any country with an unemployment figure in the mid 20's has massive structural problems. And it is not the responsibility of other countries to fix another countries structural problems. So, because they lack the capability to fix things themselves, it's their fault things are fcuked up down there.
    You don't believe apartheid has anything to do with it at all? Oh wait, apartheid ended WAY back through the mists of time in 1994 so no, can't be that.
    P.C. wrote: »
    Dudess.

Seriousely - how many years did you spend in South Africa?

How much do you know about the country and culture?

Do you even know what Apartheid means?
    I think I know enough from merely following news reports since the 80s and reading about it - I don't see how living there is required. Apartheid means segregation of the races and one race having massive power over the other. A delightful system really.
    We're on one and counting ( a country that discovered huge oil reserves and is ruled by a military dictator) .....

Come on guys there must be loads more.
    Why this **** of the "evil white man"? Yeah, some colonisers WERE evil ****ers. And I don't get how a lack of improvement/a worsening since independence makes colonisation suddenly ok. It should be obvious to anyone that colonisation has led to things being ****ed up. I notice nobody ever mentions how things were BEFORE colonisation.

Are the four of you South African. Read the threads title "One in four South African Men are rapists" not "One in four men who lived in South Africa are rapists".

Next up, A B C D ......

See above - you are not getting any better.

Racism at its best.

I'll never visit South Africa, and if those figures are true, I'm absolutely disgusted with their country as a whole. Thats some culture; big groups of lads going around raping kids. No wonder Africa is a fcuking wasteland that swallows up aid money and never gets anywhere; the useless "men" who should be building the place up and producing wealth are too busy raping their sons, daughters, neices, nephews and grandchildren.

People should take their heads out of the sand and get real.

Why this **** of the "evil white man"? Yeah, some colonisers WERE evil ****ers. And I don't get how a lack of improvement/a worsening since independence makes colonisation suddenly ok. It should be obvious to anyone that colonisation has led to things being ****ed up. I notice nobody ever mentions how things were BEFORE colonisation.

It should be obvious ?

So there must be unarguable evidence and data to support your position, yes ?

Enlighten us .....

Oh of course, barging in and restructuring a society, messing with its natural balance - that won't lead to screw-ups at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Okay. Somebody explain to me, why does a survey of black men in south africa yield the result that 1 in 4 men either rape regularly or have ever raped somebody before? There isn't a system of apartheid down there anymore so they are free to live without white oppression. Any unemployment and poverty problems etc that have arisen after the white farmers etc left is their own fault and they have a responsibility to deal with it themselves. Poverty is never an excuse for groups of family mambers and friends to habitually rape baby girls or anybody for that matter. Absolute scum of the earth.

As Degsy said, Dublin of 100 years ago was city of squalid poverty. Never have I heard before, however, that the place was rife with rapists? So why id the situation of (self-induced) poverty in SA leading to the sub-human actions of these monsters? Did this stuff go on in 1700's Europe and before that, when basically everybody lived a life of poverty?

Maybe it's more about being able to get away with it - just like here. You all saw the Ryan report. I wonder what percentage of the monks living with the boys engaged in rape.

Major transitions in social and political structures take decades to sort out, centuries sometimes. Our own didn't go smoothly either. And as for the north!

If they hadn't been hit with aids they might have had a chance. The first few years after mandala took over were full of promise.

Hard to know, rape is a quite recent concept.

Can anybody inform me as to what the economy of SA was like while apartheid was in operation? Was it better or worse than it is now? I'm a bit young...

The economy was probably better because the wealth didn't have to be spread around as much.

I think I know enough from merely following news reports since the 80s and reading about it - I don't see how living there is required. Apartheid means segregation of the races and one race having massive power over the other. A delightful system really.

Wrong!

I am not saying that the idea was good or right.
    I am not saying that what happend was right.

But, I am saying that you have no knowledge of what the idea was, or what it even means in english.

Reading biased news reports does not help, except to give you a biased view.

Was everybody setting off bombs in Ireland in the 80's and 90's?

That is what the news reports said.

Seriously - please get some more information.

Do you know that in the wine growing region of the Western Cape, the farm workers still get rations of wine during work hours?

Is this to keep them working and placid?

How did people live in sub-Saharan Africa before colonisation ?
    How did they live during colonisation ?
    What is happening now ?

• Advertisement

P.C. wrote: »
    Wrong!

I am not saying that the idea was good or right.
    I am not saying that what happend was right.

But, I am saying that you have no knowledge of what the idea was
    Well then what was it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement