Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent Etiquette

Options
  • 18-06-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Anybody know the etiquette involved in dealing with estate agents? Is it okay to approach the seller behind the estate agent's back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Estate Agent won't like it and the seller would need to pay the Estate Agent anyway, but unless the seller has said "all contact through Estate Agent", I don't think there is a huge problem. Don't expect the seller to give you a viewing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why would you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Why would you do this?

Why do boards members love answering questions with questions? [Oops, I just did it myself]

Lets just say I don't trust he is communicating effectively on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well then the laws of estate agent etiquette have been broken. I probably wouldn't approach the seller in person, but it just depends what your style is. (EDIT: to clarify, I would write a letter or do it through a solicitor) Important thing is not to spook the seller any more than necessary. This estate agent might be his childhood friend or something. Make sure you can find out who the seller actually is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Great oxymoron.

If you genuinely do not think he has represented your side properly, it is your life, your money. You have to look after that.

If they are friends etc, then you may of lost of the house, so if you are happy with that risk, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Is the estate agent introduces the buyer to the seller by any means, ie sale board, advertising etc.. they are then entitled to their fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Is the estate agent introduces the buyer to the seller by any means, ie sale board, advertising etc.. they are then entitled to their fee.

the same way you cant prove if an estate agent has made up phantom bids they wont be privvy to an external sale deal.

Personally I say go for it. I felt the EA was full of it when I was buying a few years back so I went and called into the seller for a chat.

My suspicions were correct the EA tried to pump my bid up by 25k with a phontom bid which i verified with the seller. I walked on the property after that but not before I made the EA look stupid in front of his client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Small Change

Go for it if you want, but I doubt you will have any success.

EAs will generally be happy to sell at any price, especially as prices are not disclosed.
    It is the seller that ultimately sets the minimum selling price.

At the risk of answering a question with a question, what gives you the impression that the EA is not communicating your offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

At the risk of answering a question with a question, what gives you the impression that the EA is not communicating your offer?

He's probably not getting the proper price he should for the property, so if he talks to the buyer directly he can tell them of all the great things about his house that the EA is not and they will increase their price. I'm sure that's the theory behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Small Change

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    He's probably not getting the proper price he should for the property, so if he talks to the buyer directly he can tell them of all the great things about his house that the EA is not and they will increase their price. I'm sure that's the theory behind it.

The OP is the buyer :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement