Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autistic boy locked in toilet

• 18-06-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

to do that to a vulnerable child and damage his development
    the carer should be hung.

I rarely get as angry as I did when I read this
    what a selfish bitch.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0618/berrya.html

An autistic boy who was left alone in a house and locked in a toilet has been awarded €50,000 in damages at the High Court.

The court heard that Alex Berry, who was aged 11 at the time, was severely distressed and traumatised after the incident and suffered a regression in behaviour.

Through his father Peter Berry, from Coolatree Park in Beaumont in Dublin, he sued the Health Service Executive, the care worker and Northside Home Care Services Limited.
    Advertisement

This morning the High Court approved a settlement of €50,000, which was made without admission of liability.

The High Court was told that the boy's father saw his care worker walking away from her home when she was supposed to be caring for his son.

He drove to her home and saw her return and free his son from a toilet under the stairs.

Approving the settlement Mr Justice John Quirke said it was 'absolutely scandalous' behaviour.

He said it was a very good settlement and hoped the parties responsible understood what they did.

It was an absolutely dreadful thing to do, he said.

Mr John Fox BL for the parents told the court that the HSE provided home support for the plaintiff's family at the carer's own home through a funding arrangement with Northside Home Care Services.

The carer was employed as a home help for the boy for 15 hours per week.

She had been engaged by NHCS in this task for two and a half years preceding May 2005.

Alex was entirely dependent on the carer during his stay at her premises and his condition meant he could not be left alone and required adult supervision at all times.

In a statement of claim, it was submitted that on 3 May 2005 the carer collected Alex from his maternal-grandmother's home at 11am at Castletimon Road and brought him to her own home at Larchill, Santry.

Peter Berry observed her walking away from Larchill at 3.45pm on 3 May 2005.

He was concerned that his son was not with her and he drove to her home and as he knocked on the door of the house he observed the carer unlocking the toilet door under the stairs to release Alex.

He said the boy was in a very distressed state.

The HSE denied it was negligent or in breach of duty.

It claimed that the incident occurred because of the negligence and breach of duty of Northside Home Care Services and held that the carer, Siobhan Quinn, caused or permitted herself to conduct her duties in a grossly negligent and irresponsible manner.

Northside Home Care Services, in denying the claims, conceded it employed Ms Quinn but denied the allegation that it was negligent or in breach of duty.

It claimed that if Alex was caused to suffer personal injury
    it was caused or occasioned by reason of the unlawful actions of Ms Quinn who was solely and exclusively liable in respect of the alleged incident.
    Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The claim was submitted in 2005 and it's only being finalized now?

Our courts system is a mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ah feck it. I probably would have done the same if he was wreckin my buzz.

WindSock wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

mikemac wrote: »
    The claim was submitted in 2005 and it's only being finalized now?

Our courts system is a mess

No priorities at all.

Horrible article to read though. Poor kid.

Oh dear.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

No doubt the care worker is still "caring" for others, what do they have to do in the HSE to actually get the sack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Nasty thing to do all right but I dont really think the carer deserves to be hanged. Fired I could understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Are you autistic as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

What's the jazz with the HSE paying out on claims like these without admitting liability? Surely the fact that they've paid out is an admission of liability in itself?

Tannylan wrote: »
    Are you autistic as well

Why would you post that? Seriously. If you've got nothing better to say then don't come trolling in what is a serious thread.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Why would you post that? Seriously. If you've got nothing better to say then don't come trolling in what is a serious thread.

a serious thread :DIn After Hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are you autistic as well

Wapner. Wapner. Yeah, three minutes to Wapner...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

a serious thread :DIn After Hours

Yes. A serious thread. And yes in After Hours.

Yes. A Autistic thread. And yes in After Hours.

Fixed that for you

Are you autistic as well

Brilliant post! :rolleyes:

It's a terrible story and the "carer" (and I use that term lightly) should be disgusted with herself.

Fixed that for you

It would be "an", not "a".

Fixed that for you

So do you not class autism as serious or do you class it as something you can rip the piss out of?

Wow isn't it great that you're so perfect.

Wow THANKS

Wow THANKS

Learn to accept sarcasm will you. For your benefit I will now use the :rolleyes: to indicate my sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

And that from a (?)mod(/)

way to go there champ

Learn to accept sarcasm will you. For your benefit I will now use the :rolleyes: to indicate my sarcasm.

Pretty Please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I couldn't believe this when I heard it on the news, what kind of animal is the 'carer'?
    Poor kid probably went through untold distress from it.
    Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I genuinely thought that things like this shouldn't happen in this day & age.

Pretty Please

Fool. <
    See that? It was genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Saw it on the news, dreadful stuff

am a bit confused by the following though

"Peter Berry observed her walking away from Larchill at 3.45pm on 3 May 2005.

He was concerned that his son was not with her and he drove to her home and as he knocked on the door of the house he observed the carer unlocking the toilet door under the stairs to release Alex"

I live next to larch hill and its a gated estate, if he saw her walking away from her home and drove straight up to the door of her home, how was she there unlocking him if she said she was leaving the estate in the same instance? :confused:

Just a thought, he shouldnt have been locked in for any time at all. I had an offer of home help to help with my son and refused, glad now tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Ah Jaysus!
    Look lads, they're have always been ' 'difficult' kids.

Im my time, they were called 'bold'.

Now, there's no such thing as a bold child.

It's learned behaviour from parent/s.

I have a child that's termed ' difficult'.

I fight fire with fire.

Y'know what? It works!

A bit of constructive cruellty works a long way.

Too many do-gooders nowadays looking for excuses for bad behaviour for 'knacker parents'

On the other hand, however, Autisim is one of those things I would hope I would never have to deal with.

Ah Jaysus!

I fight fire with fire.

Y'know what? It works!

Too many do-gooders nowadays looking for excuses for bad behaviour for 'knacker parents'

On the other hand, however, Autisim is one of those things I would hope I would never have to deal with.

How is locking an autistic child in a toilet "constructive"? Especially when the child needed constant adult supervision at all times.

Ah Jaysus!

I fight fire with fire.

Y'know what? It works!

The child has a severe enough form of autisim so I think it's more than being 'bold'.

But I do agree with a lot of what you said but I'd substitute autisim for the infamous ADHD.
    I know people have ADHD & life can be difficult for them but a lot of upcoming criminals seem to use ADHD as a way to explain away why they were caught joyriding, robbing a granny etc.
    ADHD wasn't invented when I was growing up, or at least if it was it was kept under wraps for fear we would try & jump on the bandwagon, we were called 'bold' & got a slap on the arse.
    People 'claiming' to have ADHD make a mockery of it for people who do actually have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Are you autistic as well

Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe this when I heard it on the news, what kind of animal is the 'carer'?

I assumed human, the Pedobear would never have left the child alone.

But terrible thing to happen as it was, although, like Trinity, I had no idea what that part was about.Doesn't make any sense

easyeason3 wrote: »
    The child has a severe enough form of autisim so I think it's more than being 'bold'.

But I do agree with a lot of what you said but I'd substitute autisim for the infamous ADHD.
    I know people have ADHD & life can be difficult for them but a lot of upcoming criminals seem to use ADHD as a way to explain away why they were caught joyriding, robbing a granny etc.
    ADHD wasn't invented when I was growing up, or at least if it was it was kept under wraps for fear we would try & jump on the bandwagon, we were called 'bold' & got a slap on the arse.
    People 'claiming' to have ADHD make a mockery of it for people who do actually have it.

I work for a child psychology team and i have to say i agree with your post

too many labels out there, several people have asked me does my son have it and while he certainly has movement problems which leads him to be frustrated, at the end of the day hes still a bold little bollox that wasnt disciplined enough by his flakey mother

i no longer ask for a happy meal at mcdonalds, i ask for an ungrateful little b*stard meal :P

Anyway thats OT for whats been discussed, the childs diagnosis is not in question! Just thought i would echo your post on a general level

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    I assumed human, the Pedobear would never have left the child alone.

But terrible thing to happen as it was, although, like Trinity, I had no idea what that part was about.Doesn't make any sense
    Careful now.

My cousin's child is autistic.
    I'm extremely close to him and I will not tolerate any piss taking about this subject.

Yes, I am allowing my personal feelings to interfere with my moderating and I really don't give a flying **** what any of you think about that.

No, I am not drunk.

Anyone else taking the piss will be banned.

Terry wrote: »

And rightly so.

Careful now.

I'm extremely close to him and I will not tolerate any piss taking about this subject.

Yes, I am allowing my personal feelings to interfere with my moderating and I really don't give a flying **** what any of you think about that.

No, I am not drunk.

Fair play, I know some people think that everything should be open to humour & maybe in a way they are right.
    But when a thread has a serious tone & most posters are making an effort to keep it that way I find it a little bit weary that some people keep trying to derail it.
    I know it's After Hours but it would be a sad After Hours if every subject was subject to pointless, insulting comments. There's plenty of other threads doing the rounds for us to act the maggot in.

Careful now.

No, I am not drunk.

Well said Terry. My little cousin has it too. I remember having to explain to my aunt about how his little mind works, it was hard but only cos of my job i had a little insight.

Other than that i wouldnt have understood someone with autism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Ah Jaysus!

I fight fire with fire.

Y'know what? It works!

Knacker parents? WTF? Are you on the wrong thread?

It was an autistic boy locked in a cupboard by a carer. Horrific.

And seriously "constructive cruelty"? The mind boggles.

I know people think that I'm cruel, but I have a kid that has my traits.
    My In-laws are shocked by her manners sometimes.

They're shocked by her behaviour, but yet get more shocked when I give her a slap!

You can't win these days!

I do take the autism thing very seriously however.

I know someone who has 2 autistic kids.

No joke!

Anybody who says I'm an asshole from now on, try walking in my shoes for 1 day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

hahha what a coincidence, it's Autistic Pride Day today!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I know people think that I'm cruel, but I have a kid that has my traits.
    My In-laws are shocked by her manners sometimes.

They're shocked by her behaviour, but yet get more shocked when I give her a slap!

You can't win these days!

I do take the autism thing very seriously however.

I know someone who has 2 autistic kids.

No joke!

Anybody who says I'm an asshole from now on, try walking in my shoes for 1 day.

Your an asshole.

I wouldn't want to walk in your shoes, but I would like to walk in your daughters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Your an asshole.

I wouldn't want to walk in your shoes, but I would like to walk in your daughters.

Banned for personal abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I would have slapped false imprisonment on her too and made her do jail time. Poor kid, its awful to think that those who need help and protection the most in our society can be so badly treated by certain people.

Thankfully not all care workers are like this one.

Your an asshole.

So, how many kids do you have then?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you want to start getting precious about this and start swishing the ban stick about, move it from after hours or lock it, bad form on the mods part, considering other threads that have been allowed to devolve into total **** buckets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Amalgam wrote: »
    If you want to start getting precious about this and start swishing the ban stick about, move it from after hours or lock it, bad form on the mods part, considering other threads that have been allowed to devolve into total **** buckets.

If you've a query/comment about the moderation here, please PM a mod or raise the issue in Help Desk/Feedback rather than on thread. That only drags a thread off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It's a disability issue, move it to a part of the forum where there will be (implied from the off) ZERO TOLERANCE for deviation or mockery.

HERE, you're just setting up a situation for aggravation, that's my point.

Your an asshole.

On the other hand though, you'd like to walk in my daughter's shoes?
    I must be doing something right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I didn't mean anything offensive by the comment, Terry.

Also, btw, and people who know me IRL, on the site, can back this up, but my mom works with children with special needs, and worked with an autistic boy for 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

fwiw now,

my brother is Autistic, when I read some comments here it angered me so much that I cried a little.

Why? Because Autism is such a misunderstood disorder.. It does not only affect the child, it affects everyone that knows the child. teachers, friends, workmates and family members.

Parents of Autistic children have such a hard time trying to make other people realise what the condition means. Through tireless negotiation and discussion with various bodies, schools and other parents the understanding amongst everyone is at a good place now.. after many years of being brushed off as something that could be dealt with through 'speacial' schooling and ignorance of the disorder.

When somebody posts something that belittles the work that people have put in to educating people, it can be tough to see.

I know this is AH, but anyone that regularly posts here knows when a topic is worthy of a serious discussion.

/threadkill =p

fwiw now,

my brother is Autistic, when I read some comments here it angered me so much that I cried a little.

Why? Because Autism is such a misunderstood disorder.. It does not only affect the child, it affects everyone that knows the child. teachers, friends, workmates and family members.

Parents of Autistic children have such a hard time trying to make other people realise what the condition means. Through tireless negotiation and discussion with various bodies, schools and other parents the understanding amongst everyone is at a good place now.. after many years of being brushed off as something that could be dealt with through 'speacial' schooling and ignorance of the disorder.

When somebody posts something that belittles the work that people have put in to educating people, it can be tough to see.

I know this is AH, but anyone that regularly posts here knows when a topic is worthy of a serious discussion.

awh, when i first started posting here i lost many a laptop through ****ing it against the wall with some of the replies here tbh, it took me a long long time to realise no matter what you post, no matter how serious, there is always someone trying to be funny

Try not to take any of it personally, there is a lot of sick jokes going round here about kids/rapes its just one of those things you learn to ignore, hard as it is

My cousin has a beautiful mind, thats how i like to see him In some ways he is far more advanced then i could ever hope to be. It is a very misunderstood (i dont know what to call it tbh) however i do honestly feel with a little understanding and a little bit of education, i have a lot to learn from him

Amalgam wrote: »
    It's a disability issue, move it to a part of the forum where there will be (implied from the off) ZERO TOLERANCE for deviation or mockery.

HERE, you're just setting up a situation for aggravation, that's my point.
    Ignoring a mod warning. Back seat modding. Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Fixed that for you

you should have made it AN autistic thread then, no?:rolleyes:

Didn't see your post KKV, apologies:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Excuse my ignorance but I dont fully understand autism. I know that those that suffer from it cant socialise properly and I think they learn things differently but I dont understand why.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement