Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel & Petrol BMW's

Options
  • 18-06-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Folks,

thinking of buying a diesel BMW (an '03 or '04) probably a 318 or a 320d. Have heard that the turbo's give a bit of trouble with them. Not adverse to a petrol but a diesel would be better as I tend to make long trips.

Has anyone any experience of both or either please?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I have experience of the 318i, nice car let down with a lacklustre engine. I think the overwhelming advice, especially given your mileage, would be to go for the far superior 320D, but as you know there are potential pitfalls with that engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

I have experience of the 318i, nice car let down with a lacklustre engine. I think the overwhelming advice, especially given your mileage, would be to go for the far superior 320D, but as you know there are potential pitfalls with that engine.

Thanks Op. Pitfalls?

Well you know about the turbos, 2003 was prone to failure, swirl flaps can fail with expensive results, search the forum for more info, this has been discussed at great length before. At a minimum I would be looking for one with a FSH, low mileage as possible and evidence of the turbo being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

Well you know about the turbos, 2003 was prone to failure, swirl flaps can fail with expensive results, search the forum for more info, this has been discussed at great length before. At a minimum I would be looking for one with a FSH, low mileage as possible and evidence of the turbo being replaced.

Would I be best off with a petrol do you think?

I would still seek out a 320D that has been looked after. But the petrol engine with high miles might be a safer bet. In both cases a FSH is essential. You need to drive both, see what you think, and then weigh up the potential running costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MR TR

vinnyryan wrote: »
    Folks,

thinking of buying a diesel BMW (an '03 or '04) probably a 318 or a 320d. Have heard that the turbo's give a bit of trouble with them. Not adverse to a petrol but a diesel would be better as I tend to make long trips.

Has anyone any experience of both or either please?
    Thanks

I have a 01 320d(Manufactured) dec 00. No issues with Turbo and I've put 57k on it. I've done all my servicing myself either using Castrol or Valvoline

I bought a jan 2002 one for my wife which is the 150bhp model.
    Told by a very experienced mechanic that only real cause of the turbo failure is the turbo breather which gets blocked. This puts huge strain on the butterflies in inlet manifold and then they get sucked in to do plenty of damage.
    This breather is 57 euro from dealer (For better venturi type with out Toilet roll filter) and is next to air filter so easy to change.
    Change it every second service and change oil every 10k as opposed to 13k and you should be alright.
    My wife's 320d gets a constant 54 to the gallon and she doesn't hang around.

This only affects 2001-2002 models. late 2003 cars have better inlet manifold butter fly spindles and better turbos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

The earlier 136bhp 320d (up to the facelift model released in September '01 with the 150bhp M47N engine) doesn't suffer from turbo issues. I carry out most of the servicing on my '01 car and it has just passed 152k miles.
    It's serviced every 5k miles (oil and filter) with a new air,pollen and diesel filter at every 10k. I'd recommend doing the EGR every 10-20k too.
    I've recently had to replace the wishbones,bushes,shocks and springs and now the car drives like new again. Other issues that I've had were a MAF (air flow sensor) that needed replacement, final stage resistor (hedgehog) that needed changing and the General Module (ZKE) can be problematic (noticeable on hot days and may lead to cental locking issues). The brake pipes can corrode too (worse on the ex-UK cars) and can be a bit of a b!tch to replace....requiring the fuel tank to be dropped in order to access them.

Nforce wrote: »
    The earlier 136bhp 320d (up to the facelift model released in September '01 with the 150bhp M47N engine) doesn't suffer from turbo issues. I carry out most of the servicing on my '01 car and it has just passed 152k miles.
    It's serviced every 5k miles (oil and filter) with a new air,pollen and diesel filter at every 10k. I'd recommend doing the EGR every 10-20k too.
    I've recently had to replace the wishbones,bushes,shocks and springs and now the car drives like new again. Other issues that I've had were a MAF (air flow sensor) that needed replacement, final stage resistor (hedgehog) that needed changing and the General Module (ZKE) can be problematic (noticeable on hot days and may lead to cental locking issues). The brake pipes can corrode too (worse on the ex-UK cars) and can be a bit of a b!tch to replace....requiring the fuel tank to be dropped in order to access them.

I think the final stage resistor must go on all e46 models at some stage.
    I bought a EGR Bypass and fitted that to my e46 and noticed a huge improvement in mid range grunt. The MAF sensor is a cheap fix from Ebay.
    If there sluggish below 2k that shows the Bosch MAf sensor has failed. The spurios ones on ebay are cheap and also come with the rigght tool to removet the old one.
    I got a set of FEBI Bilstein Wishbones including rear Bushes for 230 euro delivered off a good crowd on Ebay.
    The 136 bhp model is easier to service than the 150. It has a high up oil filter housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've seen the EGR bypass kit and MAF's on ebay alright. I must have got my wishbones from the same crowd as you too ;).The hedgehog resistor was a pain to change....especially if you've a bad back:eek:
    The later E46 also has the fuel filter hidden underneath the centre of the car.

Nforce wrote: »
    I've seen the EGR bypass kit and MAF's on ebay alright. I must have got my wishbones from the same crowd as you too ;).The hedgehog resistor was a pain to change....especially if you've a bad back:eek:
    The later E46 also has the fuel filter hidden underneath the centre of the car.

Yes I didn't enjoy changing resistor either. Bought a Teng tool screwdriver bit set to do it and still had to cut one bit to suit. One of my better tool sets though. so don't regret it.
    You've just reminded me. The Wife's new Diesel Filter is in the boot still. Not much use there. :o I must change it tomorrow when changing the wishbones. The NCT lad will have to wear shades when checking them. Nice and shiney!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement