Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 18-06-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey everyone just a quick question. A few friends and i moved into a house 6 months ago but one of them is moving abroad and we cant afford to pay his rent aswel. We didnt sign any lease and the landlord never registered with the prtb.
    Now the landlord says its a 12 month lease (even though we didnt sign one) and we'l have to pay the next 6 months. Do we have to pay the rent or is he just taking a chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

How was the house advertised? was it by room and a price per room or was the whole house advertised as one price?

If you did not sign a lease (never mind what the landlord says, you either signed it or not) then you are only bound by the PRTB guidelines on notice, i think it would be 28 days notice, but their website will tell you.
    Give the landlord notice and he (if he has sense) might offer to renegotiate the rent. From the sounds of it, you will have to fight for your deposit back, if you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

job3 wrote: »
    Hey everyone just a quick question. A few friends and i moved into a house 6 months ago but one of them is moving abroad and we cant afford to pay his rent aswel. We didnt sign any lease and the landlord never registered with the prtb.
    Now the landlord says its a 12 month lease (even though we didnt sign one) and we'l have to pay the next 6 months. Do we have to pay the rent or is he just taking a chance?

if he cant show your signatures on a 12 month lease hes full of it. Hold your ground hes trying to scare you. Your entitled to leave with 28 days notice if you havent signed a term lease

if he trys to withold your deposit tell him your going to contact the PRTB and if hes not registered hes likely going to face a fine so he will probably then cave

Advertisement