Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ive lost a castle near Macroom

Options
  • 18-06-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Ok i'm an eeejot years ago i saw a castle/keep on a bridge over a river near Macroom and i am going demented trying to find it again .I can only describe it as being built in the middle of a river .I would really like to see it again for no other reason than proving to my wife it actually exists .Now i can only say its in Cork somewhere near Macroom and i d be grateful if i could at least look at it again . Unlessthe OPW have knocked it for cost saving or i am imaging it .
    All help on location appreciated

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

carrigadrohid sorry for the spelling i'm using my phone. Will get you gps co-ords later.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Speaking of castles near Macroom. A few k's west of Macroom on the left there's a beautiful looking castle, Carrigaphooca, built on a rock. I've tried to get to it on foot but it seems to me that you have to cross through some farmers yard to get to it. With no trespassing signs on his gate.

Anyone know how to get to this castle without encroaching on his land?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

thanks for all your replies . i'm glad i'm not going mad ,just senile
    Cheers Dave

• Advertisement

don't blame you for not getting back its good weather for cycling and we get precious little good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

d2319ec4-e687-4853-961c-b36bfdb92214.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Bealick Mill maybe, I have no idea how to attach pics, Google it. It's more a house than a castle but very pretty and has the bridge and river.

Cheers for the links and replies .I went past it today and i can't believe i missed it the last few times i was in the locality . And i also cant believe i've not been to Cork since i posted this in May /June
    once again thanks ,my missus was thinking i was imagining it .

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

reic wrote: »
    Speaking of castles near Macroom. A few k's west of Macroom on the left there's a beautiful looking castle, Carrigaphooca, built on a rock. I've tried to get to it on foot but it seems to me that you have to cross through some farmers yard to get to it. With no trespassing signs on his gate.

Castle is on private property but I hear that the farmer - as a caretaker- holds a key to the access door/gate. I can't vouch for his willingness to share it recently.

OPW refurbished years back as it was very unsafe but frequently visited. Refurbishment included adding the access gate visible in the photo.

Very impressive structure, condition and views from the top if you are lcky enough to gain access.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrigaphooca_Castle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroom
    File:Carrigaphooca_Castle.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Originally Posted by reic

The Castle has public access right of ways from any point along the n22 , the farmer Mr.Healy has no right to obstruct people from visiting the castle , the small area around the castle is public land and is not owned by the farmer despite this he has put a gate and a lock on the door of the castle in an attempt to obtain ownership of the castle by denying access , each year members of my family cut the lock and take photos inside the castle to prevent him from getting ownership, as the council doesn't seem to care about our heritage .
    Now I don't want other people to get the idea of doing this as he's willing to open the lock for tourists if you visit his house , which is generous of him seeing as it shouldn't be there in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Originally Posted by reic

The Castle has public access right of ways from any point along the n22 , the farmer Mr.Healy has no right to obstruct people from visiting the castle , the small area around the castle is public land and is not owned by the farmer despite this he has put a gate and a lock on the door of the castle in an attempt to obtain ownership of the castle by denying access , each year members of my family cut the lock and take photos inside the castle to prevent him from getting ownership, as the council doesn't seem to care about our heritage .
    Now I don't want other people to get the idea of doing this as he's willing to open the lock for tourists if you visit his house , which is generous of him seeing as it shouldn't be there in the first place
    We used to go into that castle every summer as kids. Loved it. Cousins live near by so was within walking distance.
    It's dissapointing to hear that it's locked now.

Advertisement