Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share your stories on having bad GAS!!!!

• 18-06-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

Yes folks, it is time to confess. Do you have bad GAS? step right up and admit it.

G.A.S. = Gear Aquisition Syndrome --

( i saw this elsewhere on APUG.org and thought this needs to be shared)

I bought my first SLR in Feb 2007 and did a darkroom course. I now probably have too many cameras ( lost count in fact), and loads of accessories when all I primarily use is my Nikon 35 mm with filters and a 50mm f1.4 len or an Autocord TLR. but yet I still see stuff and convince myself I need this .. CLassic case of bad GAS

So share your story of having bad G.A.S :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I fart alot

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

At the weekend I convinced myself that I'd be able to wedge in a 35mm roll of film into a '63 Beirette K, which takes a now defunct 35mm format. It was a nuts idea but I just had to have it. It only cost a fiver in the end and now that I've completely dismantled it it looks as though I got a lot of German precission engineering that, although it doesn't take a picture, it only cost a fiver. Mind you I fixed the shutter (sticking) and Ap rings (jammed) and have put all the lens head back together again I had been wanting to make my own camera so reckon I've now got a good starting platform. Nice lens...clear as.

I don't overdo it as I'm usually replacing stuff that I've lost through drunkeness or broken through dopeyness. I once threw a '80 Minolta at a seagul, I wasn't very well and wasn't in the mood of seaguls. I've had a Leica thrown at me, it missed and went out a hotel window and I've wheelspinned over a Canon rangefinder (while driving my Landcruiser!!) that was really p!ssing me off. But I did just pick up a new SLR but I don't really like it as it's plastic and it's AF. But I bought it to get by until someone ties a brick to a Canon A1 and lops it through my window.

Also the woman that I bought the Beirette off is going to bring about 10 vintage cameras for me to have a look at on Sunday so my collection (6, had 14 about 10 year ago)could be rising after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

At last count before all the boxes went in the bin :) bearing in mind its my job too and thats my excuse
    IMG_0744.jpg

Borderfox wrote: »
    At last count before all the boxes went in the bin :) bearing in mind its my job too and thats my excuse
    IMG_0744.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I hope you put them in the recycling bin! :)

• Advertisement

I did indeed,

not shown there is the 17-40L - 15mm fisheye - 135 f2L and a few other bits and pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Nice kit, borderfox.

Brief question, how long did it take you to build up that kit and was it photography that funded it?

Regarding "Gas", every time I go on the photography section of adverts.ie I convince myself I need something I've seen and start thinking of ways to fund it.

I'm impulsive at the best of times so I'm just thankful you can't pay for stuff on adverts immediately by cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I am currently convincing myself I do not need a Voigtländer Bessa R3A and 40mm f/1.4 Nokton.

I really don't.
    IMG_0744.jpg

Do you use both 85s?

Not really, a friend has the f1.8 at the moment. You cant beat those fast lenses for image quality, that Voigtländer is really nice just had a google for it

Rb, Photography has funded all you see here. Anything bought before this was out of my own money but this was gradual investment on returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

In the past 30 days I've bought myself a Nikon D300, Phottix wireless kit,Phottix Kosmos battery kit,Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens and a JVC 120gb full HD camcorder.:o
    Considering that I'm a newbie to this hobby (was a computer nerd for years:p ) I reckon that you could say that I'm suffering from Gear Aquisition Syndrome.

PS........I too fart a lot! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

charybdis wrote: »
    I am currently convincing myself I do not need a Voigtländer Bessa R3A and 40mm f/1.4 Nokton.

I really don't.

haha ... I've succesfully managed to convince myself of this with respect to those Bessas on several occasions. One of these times though I'll be weak or drunk or possible both and another big chunk of change will come off the credit card ...

I just have long extended obsessions about particular bits of kit or entire camera systems. God knows my Nikon GAS has been going on for quite some time now. I have (just for the sake of illustration) a PB-6 bellows for the F mount, one of the more capable (and pricey) macro bellows for nikon. I have an F4 with the compact battery grip which took quite some time to track down, I also have the super complicated data back for it. My (hopefully last) 35mm related purchase was an F100 a few months ago.

I have a shelf full of bronica gear, including a the normal triplet of lenses, metering prism, a speedgrip and both extension tubes for the SQ/a/i. That was all bought over the course of a 6 month obsession aswell.

I could go on and on ... I won't mention pile of orphaned medium format and large format stuff I have (shutters, lenses, film backs, 8x10 film holders) that I still intend to throw together into a working LF camera, or the olympus XA or the ricoh auto half or the ... or the .... ....

Ebay is just a curse sometimes :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

charybdis wrote: »
    I am currently convincing myself I do not need a Voigtländer Bessa R3A and 40mm f/1.4 Nokton.?

Yes, Yes & Yes ........... I too have been salivating over this camera .... I have older 6x9 folders and this just is too tempting. the price though last checked is around €2000!

I just bought another Autocord TLR last night... Ebay and wine! grrr that will make 3.75 Autocords now !! I'll have to think about selling some of these as I am running out of hiding places!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd rather not go into too much detail. I'd feel bad about it.

To give you an idea, this was just from my desk about 3 months ago. There's much.. much.. more where they came from (At least another 3 35mm SLR's, another rangefinder and a few lenses - Not all 100% working but fixable... Keep me entertained :) ). I was clearing out the studio on Tuesday and don't know where to put all the sh*te...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

@Fajitas! buy sone of those stackable boxes in Woodies (or other equally good stores).

I've recently discovered I'm starting to lust after a 5DmkII and a 24-105mm and one or 2 new bags (I blame the Exhibitions, I've done recently). So my work must start paying for my habbit. Seeing as it's a nice day out I'm offsikes to do some shooting.

Later Peeps!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'd rather not go into too much detail. I'd feel bad about it.

To give you an idea, this was just from my desk about 3 months ago. There's much.. much.. more where they came from (At least another 3 35mm SLR's, another rangefinder and a few lenses - Not all 100% working but fixable... Keep me entertained :) ). I was clearing out the studio on Tuesday and don't know where to put all the sh*te...

Ah i can store some, no problems at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ Me too !!

No expensive jewelry or diamonds here !!!!
    Just some stuff I've bought (cheaply) and some aquired, ie. on loan !

4F768A0A20A74A5292337DA4F372B629-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

You can add me to the list folks!

I don't seem to be able to leave the country without bringing back an old lens or an old camera. Just back from France and somehow managed to say no to a beautiful Olympus rangefinder in wonderful condition. Made up for that by buying an Olympus pen ee-3 instead! Luckily it was only €80, can't wait for the photos to be developed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,974 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

GAS? I'll say. After a period of hardly picking up a camera, I got back into photography two years ago and have been acquiring all sorts of stuff - some idle curiousity, some items that I couldn't afford years ago, and some right junk :)
    It's marvellous.
    Right now, I'm getting into LF and putting some 4x5 (and just for gits and shiggles, an 80 year old 9x12) kit together on a budget. It's amazing what's out there.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I was planning to buy a 30D or 40D as an upgrade,Ended up going for a 1D MKII,A few days after i just bought a used 70-200(Thanks kensutz! ) When i got it,I noticed all the stuff i needed,Bought a new flash,a 1.4 tc and a new bag plus new memory

I've spent too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm not too bad, my kit at the moment is 2xd200 2xbattery grips, 50mm, 17-55, 70 - 200, sigma flash, some lights, background support, background, softboxes, some kit bags, a nikon d40x, a poloraid camera, cant wait to get film and may use this as part of weddings, thats all off the top of my head but i think almost everything.

The d40x is for sale to fund a new lens though and looking for more filters and hoods as my hoods went for a hop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'm not sure if I've got GAS or just not enough equipment! Items on my list are: spare battery, ND filter, small camera bag, and a lens. Don't know what lens, just something, don't know why, just want to have more than 1 lens! Current is an 18-55mm VR lens. Any recommendations for a new lens so that I can justify it? :D

I havent even listed the studio gear I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I've got GAS or just not enough equipment! Items on my list are: spare battery, ND filter, small camera bag, and a lens. Don't know what lens, just something, don't know why, just want to have more than 1 lens! Current is an 18-55mm VR lens. Any recommendations for a new lens so that I can justify it? :D

Go for a 50mm 1.8 - Cheap enough to justify, you can use it in low light and it's sharp :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

This is very "my d**k is bigger than your d**k"!! Apologies to the ladies!

Mine isn't quite as large as others but it's a little bit bigger than some :)

I should apply for a job as a Sigma rep!!

294F8B22CB7241A5BEAAB01538C896DA-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ Drooool, so thats why Ballyman's pics are SO good !! :pac::p

Drool at these two:
    /Rumour is this one is from Fajitas's house !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagecamera/3365614087/in/pool-cameramania

/Big time drooling here, for me anyway !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eznado/3448258647/in/set-72157603782209623/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

all because of this thread I want one of these Zeiss Ikon

Wow didn't think the 120-300 was that big,Nice gear ballyman and nice to see alot of sigma stuff showing it's pretty good glass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

trishw78 wrote: »
    all because of this thread I want one of these Zeiss Ikon

Actually since posting here the other day I'm seriously considering selling 2 cameras and 3 lenses and buying a Contax film point and shoot with a fixed 35mm lens... GAS in reverse!

120-300 is a big lens but easy to handle, on the right is the 100-400 for comparision
    6X7C0927.jpg

• Advertisement

120-300 is a big lens but easy to handle, on the right is the 100-400 for comparision
    6X7C0927.jpg

Please stop!

I've spent enough :pac:

How about this Ricky?
    IMG_9537.jpg

All we need are a couple of shots of the 200 f1.8 now :)

I'm stumped as to how you take a picture of all your equipment with including said camera in the photo :Z lol

Will have to borrow a camera

197C4E1235294F07BA676F3645CBC93D-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Rael

Gos I love threads like this but I beg you to please stop :)

I have an expenses and overtime claim to submit in work & I'm trying to convince myself that I don't really want a 5D Mark II body or alternatively save up for a 1Ds Mark III from my forthcoming cheque.

And all this comes from the fact that I looked up remote cable/shutter release online on Friday night :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement