Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FOTA announces split!

• 19-06-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

The Formula One Teams' Association announced on Thursday night that it is setting up a breakaway championship.

Following a four hour meeting at Renault's Enstone factory, the eight members of FOTA said it had grown frustrated with the FIA's stance against it and that it had no option but to create its own championship.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a statement.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76292

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

no more bernie \o/

no more max \o/

Simon gillette must be sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Jaysus I have to say I'm shocked.:eek:

If it actually sees the light of day I'll be gobsmacked!

force india to win next years f1 championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

kaizersoze wrote: »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What kaizersoze said:eek:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I'm sure tomorrow we will here all about how Ferrari and Redbull/TorroRosso must compete next year.

• Advertisement

Grim. wrote: »
    force india to win next years f1 championship?

Surly Williams have it in the bag, might try and put some money on them tomorrow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

h3000 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What kaizersoze said:eek:

Exactly. I dont see this coming to fruition. Its just another attempt by FOTA to show the FIA that they mean business.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I'm sure tomorrow we will here all about how Ferrari and Redbull/TorroRosso must compete next year.

What does this bit mean though?
    "Following these efforts all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Exactly. I dont see this coming to fruition. Its just another attempt by FOTA to show the FIA that they mean business.

aye i agree it just looks like more posturing we will find out more over the weekend

Just saw that the story updated, not sure looks like they are saying they will compete until 2012 maybe they are just calling Maxes bluff

• Advertisement

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Just saw that the story updated, not sure looks like they are saying they will compete until 2012 maybe they are just calling Maxes bluff

Aye. So instead of having to sort it by close of business today, they have until close of business 2012? Or am I reading thingd wrong?

Aye. So instead of having to sort it by close of business today, they have until close of business 2012? Or am I reading thingd wrong?
    I guess that will depend on the FIAs response tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

shenanigans.jpg

Of course this also means they'll have to change the name of their organisation.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Will be very interesting to see how it plays out...

heres pic with the cat

83095.jpg
    shen.jpg

Seen this posted somewhere else. (PDF)
    Looks like the future is privateers.
    Max and Bernie were once good for f1, unfortunately it was a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

"Following these efforts all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.
    I think they mean that they were willing to sign up until 2012 if their conditions were met but the FIA showed no compromise, thats how I read it anyway, because the said this
    Following these efforts, all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.
    The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide Fota.
    The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006.
    "Despite this, and the uncompromising environment, Fota has genuinely sought compromise.
    "It has become clear, however, the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship."
    I genuinely think this is it, they are going to follow through on it now and set up a rival championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I hope so.

Bernie and Max seem to be so engrossed in changing F1 to their vision that they've lost touch with pretty much everyone.

I hope they do go ahead with it myself, I think everybody is fed up with Max and Bernie at this stage and this is the only way to get rid of them. There seems to be a lot of positives that can come from this too:
    • FOTA will have all the biggest manufacturers and teams, They could also approach Lola, Prodrive and maybe a couple of others about entering teams too.
    • They also seem to have a lot of the drivers on board and would likely bring some big sponsors too.
    • They could bring back some of the more popular circuits like Montreal. keep Silverstone and get rid of some of the unpopular ones like Hungaroring.
    • They seem to want to improve the spectators view of the sport and said they want to reduce the cost for spectators.
    • The teams will be getting a bigger percentage of the money coming into the sport and the cost of entering will go down, meaning the teams will have more money and it will be cheaper to compete.
    • The teams have a greater say in making the rules, which could see more freedom and make the sport more competitive. It could also lead to more overtaking if the correct rules are implemented, the teams will want this to improve the spectacle for the fans.
    There are probably quite a few more too that I can't think of at the moment. The possible negatives could be:
    • There could be some big legal cases involving Ferrari and the Red Bull teams as the FIA/Bernie think they have a contract to stay in F1.
    • F1 is a globally recognised brand and has a huge history, some fans might choose to stay with it rather than follow the teams to a new series.
    • We, the fans, will also be losing the sport we love and that we grew up watching, it would be a shame to see F1 die.
    The big stumbling block would be the possible, and likely, legal action taken against Ferrari and Red Bull. If things goes against them they will have to stay in F1, Ferrari could possibly use it as a feeder team for a few years until their contract expires but could Red Bull afford to keep two teams in F1 and in FOTA's championship?

• Advertisement

You really think this could be a good thing? F1 without Bernie and Max would be great, but a split really isn't what's needed for anyone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I really hope they sort something out soon. The pressure the teams would be under to sort everything out for themselves would be immense. Surely they wont go through with this?

amacachi wrote: »
    You really think this could be a good thing? F1 without Bernie and Max would be great, but a split really isn't what's needed for anyone.
    To be honest, if they get all 8 current FOTA teams into a new championship I would be more interested in it than F1 as it would be where all the best teams and drivers would be. If it was a case of being half of the teams only or the teams going one way and the drivers going another I wouldn't want it but as it is they would only be losing Force India and Williams, which I don't see as a huge loss. I'm just fed up with Max and Bernie thinking that they are the only reason F1 is what it is and trying to ruin it for their own gain, they need to be got rid of and if this is the only way then I support that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

FIA Respond:
    Mosley and Ecclestone facing a new look Formula One
    Hot on the heels of the announcement that the eight Formula One Teams' Association members are to form their own breakaway series, the sport’s governing body put out a statement saying that are not surprised by the move given that both sides were unable to come to an agreement over the future of Formula One.

The FIA however firmly pins the blame on the breakdown in negotiations on the team alliance.

"The FIA is disappointed but not surprised by FOTA’s inability to reach a compromise in the best interests of the sport," the statement reads. "It is clear that elements within FOTA have sought this outcome throughout the prolonged period of negotiation and have not engaged in the discussions in good faith.

“The FIA cannot permit a financial arms race in the Championship nor can the FIA allow FOTA to dictate the rules of Formula One.

The FIA confirmed that the deadline for unconditional entries into the FIA Formula One World Championship remain unchanged with entries to be submitted by this evening and that the entry list will be published on Saturday.

As it stands, the FIA championship – minus the eight FOTA members – will feature Williams, Force India, Manor, US F1 and Campos teams. Lola has already withdrawn its entry while the likes of Prodrive, Brabham and March may be called up to help fill the field.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

thats a nasty swipe if i ever saw one
    "The FIA is disappointed but not surprised by FOTA’s inability to reach a compromise in the best interests of the sport,"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

This is not a fresh issue and the FIA cannot throw the blam on FOTA

The Threat of a breakaway series has been going on for years. The FIA got their warning years ago and sat on their Colls thinking they were the rulers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

dont know if many watch the WRC but that also has gone to the dogs... The IRC is the one to watch now... maybe it will kick the FIA into gear that they cant keep on changing the rules..

They have thrown a few including that attack on Luca di Montezemolo

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Where does this leave TV companies who purchased F1 rights. Will they be able to back out, and go with the breakaway series?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

The Max and Bernie show is beyond a joke. I'm not aware of other sports where so few hold all the cards. How did they manage to take so much control? In other sports organisations they focus more on sport. Bernie and co only have eyes for commercial rights and their vision of said. Since when did commercial rights become the focal point. Yes it plays it's part but surely the focus should be the enjoyment of watching the very best racing drivers and cutting edge technology of true Formula One. Granted, other sports' councils can be corrupt but at least there is more representation from different National Organisation on the various world governing bodies. Not just two dictatorial honchos calling the shots.

As some have suggested already, it's sad that it's the F1 Teams who may form the breakaway from F1. They should be staying and Max 'SS' Moseley + Bernie '$$' Ecclestone taking a hike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

I can see Bernie seeing what side his bread is buttered on and some sort of vote of no confidence in Mosley.

I'd be AMAZED if a breakaway series happens.

FIA to sue FOTA teams.

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5389183,00.html

Emm, sue them ....and then what?

FIA to sue FOTA teams.

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5389183,00.html

Emm, sue them ....and then what?

Profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The thick plottens...

FIA to sue over breakaway attempt.

Really can't afford to miss the coverage this weekend now (despite the over-patriotism that will have to be endured. Beeb to the politics angle of the sport particularly well.

**** sake, i knew if FOTA went ahead their would be legal action but i didn't expect it to happen so quick. Looks to me that the fia want Ferrari, and anyone else that follows them back, which is strange considering Max's comments about F1 not needing Ferrari. 2010 season will take place in a court room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I can only hope we end up with a championship where not every car is a virtual photocopy of the next.

They can buy back the F1 name once Bernie goes bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

1: F1 is not a trademark. Bernie already lost that case.

2: The legal battle is all about Who Gets Ferrari. Why? Some TV companies have Ferrari written into their contracts. I bet some spanish broadcasters have Alonso written into the contracts. If they go, bernie loses contracts. If all 8 teams go, bernie is well well well ****ed.

3: CVC need money. They need a lot of money. Bernie's disasterous push into new markets where cars procession around empty tracks that are locked up the rest of the year isn't going to sustain the debt. The banks who funded the buyout will be going mental. Bernie doesn't care about team principals. He doesn't care about drivers, or fans, or Max. Put him in a room with 10 bankers who are waiting for answers on where their €300million a year is going to come from and he will be ****ting bricks.

4: The breakaway is Manna from heaven for fans, track owners, teams, drivers and sponsors. Ticket prices will go down. Race rights fees will go down. Broadcast fees will go down. Classic tracks that motor racing fans will be able to travel to locally will be reinstated. Driver Superlicenses won't be required. Teams will get a greater spread of the cash.

The only stumbling block to Bernie getting what he needs is Max. The only stumbling block to us getting what we want is FOTA going back into the Bernie/Max fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

And the show rolls on... Bernie to the rescue.... well, some say... and then WMSC on wednesday... possible to vote Spanky out...

The key issue appears to be getting rid of Spanky. The wording of some of his letters, in that FOTA seek to dictate... strange word to use in the circumstances, manage, control, assume responsibility, but dictate... the overall wording and the tone creates its own impression of the writer.

The overall need to impress, the FIA have been here while teams have come and gone... the lack of an argument addressed to the current position.. the threats, even from Bernie.... considered by many of the teams as the next best thing to sliced bread.... give a hint of desperation. The immediate resort to legal action... hardly the actions of someone in control of the situation.

The FOTA has maintained a certain dignity in all this, no personalised derogatory remarks, more about trying to resolve....

The number of circuits that are already lining up is quite impressive... the contractual problems, could the circuits run both formulas?

Television, ITV, if the price was right, but German television could be the key factor, how many German drivers? Who were the original money behind Michael Schumacher?? The commentary could be easily added to suit the nationality as it is now.... the trackside advertsiing, the big sponsors, ... and mindful that Bernie and Flavio are partners in a football club...... if the money were fed back into the formula and not to pay the massive amounts of interest on constantly moving funds to and from the CVC

The big Spanish sponsors will follow the key people, Alonso etc... the one thing that must be remembered, Motor racing across the formulas is a very small community, the organising bodies and the movement of officials is a very close knit social network.

The nice thought, a clean page, a formula devoid of all the FIA and CVC wheeling and dealing.

If only.....

more very telling commentary:
    Speaking in an interview with the BBC, Mosley said: "The chance of there not being a British Grand Prix next year is very small, and my personal view, and it is not for me to decide, is I think it highly probable that it will be at Silverstone.

"But that remains to be seen."

Max is now trying to shove an olive branch at the circuits. He knows that if FOTA pick up all the classic F1 ciruits that he and Bernie have dumped on their arse, and provide them with lower fees, a higher take from the gate, then his series is buggered.

Who wants to watch f3 teams on tiny budgets race around ghost stadiums in the middle of nowhere when you can watch button, hamilton, raikkonen, vettel racing in mclarens, brawns, ferrari and the like around monaco, montreal, silverstone, and hockenheim?

monaco, montreal, silverstone, and hockenheim?

Fairly sure the FIA would have Monaco.
    Montreal remains to be seen, would be great if there was a double-header with IndyCar or NASCAR, I'd try and go over for that for sure.
    Silverstone, money will talk for that one.
    Hockenheim, big meh.

On the other hand I'd guess that Spa would be delighted to deal with FOTA, as would any circuit in France, and that deadly new track in Portugal would be great with top class cars on it.

• Advertisement

Monaco is a law unto itself and afaik doesn't have a contract with bernie, it's all a gentleman's affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bernie will end up having to fulfill massive commercial contracts with various partners as currently agreed. This would be a huge hit as I dont believe F1 without the major teams would command anywhere near the commercial rights figures it now gets specially if a new better series is fighting for tv coverage etc. I therefore believe the teams hold all the cards and bernie will have to make max fall into line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Most probably the Monaco Grand Prix, the most famous race in motorsport and the jewel in F1's crown. Monaco is understood not to be contractually committed to F1, so is free to do what it wants. And Prince Albert of Monaco strongly hinted in a BBC interview at this year's race that he could not envisage his race without Ferrari.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/06/f1_can_survive_current_breakaw.html

Good read!

"What you can't do is walk away from an organisation in the middle of a crisis," he insisted.

Max 'Spanky' Mosley famous words on the present debacle.

The fact he could be the problem does not or has not sunk in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 readthecontract

<snip>

<SNIP-Nothing to do with FOTA split?

Donington would consider cancelling its contract to host the next 17 British grands prix if the major teams break away, the Leicestershire circuit's boss Simon Gillet has warned. He told BBC radio that the FOTA split would make it even harder for him to secure the necessary funding for the project, which is scheduled to host its first formula one race next summer. Gillett said the situation is already causing "a little bit of a slowdown" in the search for investment.

Oblomov wrote: »
    Donington would consider cancelling its contract to host the next 17 British grands prix if the major teams break away, the Leicestershire circuit's boss Simon Gillet has warned. He told BBC radio that the FOTA split would make it even harder for him to secure the necessary funding for the project, which is scheduled to host its first formula one race next summer. Gillett said the situation is already causing "a little bit of a slowdown" in the search for investment.

Silly post tbh. His sons drug habbits have nothing to do with this thread or F1.

Max Mosley, like father like son. Trying to run F1 into a facist state.

In reply to ..

and then.

Silly post tbh. His sons drug habbits have nothing to do with this thread or F1.

Has his father's politics?

what hitler thinks

Grim. wrote: »
    what hitler thinks

Not as good as the 3 Broadband one. Love the
    bit at the start, hadn't thought of Wurz in a while. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement