Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Wireless?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi
    I currently have smart telecom broadband(wired) with what I believe is the home value 5mb package and I've had it quite a few years now
    on their website it says that a free wi-fi modem with all online orders which must be a new thing
    so my question is
    do I tell them I want wi-fi
    or can I just buy a wireless modem and they don't have to know?

sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question.
    I have no idea!

thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Get a modem with wifi, or buy one from Smart. It makes no difference, as long as it's ADSL2+ capable. The settings can be copied down from your current modem, or found on their website.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wouldn't bother with the smart wifi modem, it isn't very good, you can get better and cheaper yourself.

You have two options:

1) Get a ADSL2+ wifi modem, which can completely replace your existing Smart modem, you just copy the login details to the new modem.

or

2) Get a wifi router (no modem builtin) and connect it to the Smart modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭emperor_krunchy

thanks for the replies
    I get it now :)

I think I'll replace the smart modem
    can you recommend a good one for me?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I'm using a NetGear DG834G, and have been for a few years now.
    Great wireless modem and have had a much better and more stable connection with Smart since i got it!
    http://www.netgear.ie/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php

Advertisement