Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The role of an Irish mayor & councillors

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:39am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So.. there is a bit of talk recently about the elections of mayors, especially with rumours about our Bertie considering running for such a position.

What, if anything, does the position entail? What can (s)he do extra that cant be done as a normal councillor role? Besides the obvious; gold jewellery, a new Mercedes (state driven, no?), a robe, and lots of photo opportunities.

In addition, its been said that the councillors are now loosing more powers then they used to have and a lot of issues lie with the central government. I am curious though, is this actually true? Should our councillors be given more control?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sully wrote: »
    What, if anything, does the position entail? What can (s)he do extra that cant be done as a normal councillor role? Besides the obvious; gold jewellery, a new Mercedes (state driven, no?), a robe, and lots of photo opportunities.

Mayor is basically a ceremonial position that Councillors take turns holding

Only the Lord Mayors have cars I think...the Cities and its not neccesarily a Merc either..

on the one hand we need stronger Locl government if we are ever gonna get away from the current position where so much time and money is wasted by "National" TDs on local issues

on the other hand, Councillors have badly fecked up a number of areas where they did have some power (e.g. planning) so have bad track record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Riskymove wrote: »

Only the Lord Mayors have cars I think...the Cities and its not neccesarily a Merc either..

A lord mayor in a republic?
    I'm surprised they use that term, that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lord mayor is the official office name for Dublin and Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

mike65 wrote: »
    Lord mayor is the official office name for Dublin and Cork.

Only of late. Both cities have had 'mayors' for far longer than they have had "lord mayors". Dublin only renamed the mayor in the late seventeenth century - for over 500 years before that it had a "mayor of Dublin". Cork only added the word 'lord' to the title in 1900, thanks to a grant by The Famine Queen.

Oh yes, the cult of British royalism re-writing the past is still alive in modern Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It seems from this thread there is very little understanding of the issues I brought up.

Either that, or it was a boring topic and everyone eyes it up with pure amazement at such a boring topic :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I've no idea what the position entails and I don't really know what if any actual power local councillors have . I would like strong local government though. I've not much of a clue about the ins and outs of it but I do believe that there was some power taken away from local councils when the bin tax was being pushed in.

Lord Mayor in a republic is a bit ironic and quite knaff. Even worse is the jewellry. I think the Lord Mayor gets the first registered car of each new year. (or that was a rumour).

Not a bad topic Sully and I was going to ask the same questions. Guess it's not tabloid enough :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I think the Lord Mayor gets the first registered car of each new year. (or that was a rumour).

They do in the cities.

Except for Kilkenny, JJ Kavanaghs Buses seems to have first Kilkenny reg.
    They most have some contact in the government, they do the same for Tipp North, possibly Offaly too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Only of late. Both cities have had 'mayors' for far longer than they have had "lord mayors". Dublin only renamed the mayor in the late seventeenth century - for over 500 years before that it had a "mayor of Dublin". Cork only added the word 'lord' to the title in 1900, thanks to a grant by The Famine Queen.

Oh yes, the cult of British royalism re-writing the past is still alive in modern Ireland.

LOL you have a Chinese or indeed Unionist view of history :)

Advertisement